Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Revised Rules Concern

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions & Announcements' started by Rellik, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Jester4Kicks

Jester4Kicks pwn-hawk

I believe John has already summed up the reasoning for the current policy against advertising in any sigs except the user accounts of paying sponsors... but since there appears to still be some concern, I thought I would chime in with yet another reason for this decision.

As many people know, we recently had to deal with a certain company that is no longer a site sponsor and shall remain nameless... Even with the other mods taking an active roll in the duty of weeding out ads and references to that company, I myself had to talk to over 10 members that had to change the signatures because of this. This creates more work for the moderator team, hassles for the users, and an awkward moment when we have to ask them to change it (I HATE having to tell people to change their sigs).

This removes all those problems and just keeps things simple.... but that's just my 2 cents. :)

2. AutoBadges

AutoBadges Well-Known Member

Jester,

I totally understand what you are saying but should we allow this to withhold members from advertising companies that are still around? On top of that there are some people trying to make profit on multiple sales w/o being paying sponsors.

my business for example has been here for years now...just some benefits that would be nice would be priviledges such as allowing certain members to add our link in their sigs...(listed above)

3. flipper

flipper New Member

3.8 was better when it wasnt so "political" and wasnt all about money :rolleyes: :disgust: :thumbdown:

4. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

It costs money to run a site. Deal with it.

3.8 is completely, 100% non-profit. We take in only enough money from sponsorship to cover the costs to run the site.

5. Rellik

Rellik is a dirty pirate

Alright guys,

Lets move forward a little bit, because I'm not going to give up without looking from every vantage point I possibly can.

John, let's talk about a compromise here.

There is no reason for paying sponsors NOT to advertise their business in their sigs. Hell, thats what they paid for. So it seems that the only difference between Erick and myself, signature wise, is that he paid for his privlidges, and I didnt.

It's all about the cash? Well ok then...

How much would I have to pay 3.8mustang.com to advertise the company in which I work for in my signature? Only the signature. No site banners, no additional forum, just small signature privlidges.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect to pay the same amount as a business entity, but if you guys want an annual payment from me to keep advertising Autobadges.com, then let's start talking numbers.

6. '02Stang

'02Stang New Member

Iam just gonna chime in really quick. I've been reading this, staying back and just watching over the last few days. Both sides have a great point. I think a compromise is definetly in order. So I have a suggestion

NO ONE can advertise in their sig for ANY company
    UNLESS
    YOU (not your buddy) are sponsored by a paying sponsor for that site.

I dont think that just coz someone buys off someones products, they should advertise it, even if its a paying sponsor.

I think you should get your paying sponsors together, have them tell you how many sponsored cars will be out there so you know, an just go with it.

As far as I know, Relik and I probably post the most out of Evals sponsored cars. I hardly ever see his other 3.

Just my 2 cents

7. John

John Ex-Legend

Erick.

I like you. I like your business. Ive bought from you and ive worn your autobadges sticker on my car for 2 years. I was around when you first signed up as a sponsor and got the small side ad on the site back when it was 15 bucks.

I know what your saying when you say "just 4 or 5" but then again what about other companies. what if Justin at velocity decides.. well i want to have 5 people advertise in thier sigs.. eval can.. then Josh from stang suspension comes in and starts having people advertise in thier sigs.. then justin gets pissed because both of them sell "steeda tri-ax" shifters of course this is all made up. but i can seriously see this happening some day.. If we bend the rules for one person, we bend them for everyone. were talking about strictly business now.

Erick. take a look at it this way.. you have the BIGGEST advantage already when it comes to sigs. 70% of sigs have peoples car pics in them. All of the people that post thier pics and have a big ol" 232 or 3.8 emblem on them are going to show.. from there people are going to PM those people and say where did u get those emblems.. and others will say " autobadges"

Trust me on this one.. I personally had it happen around 5 or 6 times.
    People like me post pics all the time. Although my current sig dosent show it clearly, my past sigs have. and there are probably over 30 sigs out there right now that have the "232" highlighted. That is something we cant monitor. But if you think of it. your product visually stands out over a nitrous kit, a CAI, a shifter, exhaust, etc..

Take a look at it in that light. I appreciate your business and service and we went to lengths to take care of your "competetor" for unfair business practices. Please work with us here. at least for a little bit so we can see how it goes and make changes from there. Does it sound fair?

edit: also with sponsors there is no problem of anyone "hyping" up a sponsor. like if someone goes into an appearance thread and says "what does my car need next" and having evin go there and say hey go to autobadges and get some 3.8 emblems they would look good"

you know old fashoned word of mouth.

8. John

John Ex-Legend

[QUOTE='02Stang]Iam just gonna chime in really quick. I've been reading this, staying back and just watching over the last few days. Both sides have a great point. I think a compromise is definetly in order. So I have a suggestion

NO ONE can advertise in their sig for ANY company
    UNLESS
    YOU (not your buddy) are sponsored by a paying sponsor for that site.

I dont think that just coz someone buys off someones products, they should advertise it, even if its a paying sponsor.

I think you should get your paying sponsors together, have them tell you how many sponsored cars will be out there so you know, an just go with it.

As far as I know, Relik and I probably post the most out of Evals sponsored cars. I hardly ever see his other 3.

Just my 2 cents[/QUOTE]

I like that idea. but to be fair we would have to set up something that would make it fair. and the only thing i can see is charging more per month. which no one wants to do.

the only thing i can see is coming up with new advertising plans. Where we have " silver, gold, and platnium sponsors" some sponsors will have banner ads only, some can have sig advertising privlidges, some can have forum advertisments. But that creates ALOT of extra work for us. I dont get paid anything for my work here. The load it would put on us would be rather large.

9. Rellik

Rellik is a dirty pirate

I'll be first in line to offer any help that I can.

10. John

John Ex-Legend

Pm's are a powerful tool. you cant miss them. We have had people get around paying banner ads and pming people which is not cool. but its ok for the sponsors to do so.

On a side note. IF ANY MEMBER IS HAVING A NON SPONSOR SPAM THEM in threads or PM's Please forward the PM to me or a moderator so we can take action. Moderators can not read PM's but If it is absolutely necessary admins can in a remote way. Either by suspending the account and resetting the password. or by trudging through the server ( which is a long and messy process) I alone have 856Pms and 400 sent and at least 200 of them are recommendations on what things to get for thier cars.

11. John

John Ex-Legend

by the way. the reason why i went to this thread 1st thing this morning is because i found the link in Evins sig. I am one of those people that click on everyones sigs and links and check out homepages. ;)

12. Rellik

Rellik is a dirty pirate

Thats because I completly changed my sig around until we can figure out the issues at hand... plus I whore in the two places that usually get the most traffic :D :lol:

So is that a "No" to my idea as well? :confused:

I'm not trying to be an ass with this whole thing, I'm just trying to get through all of this that will benifit everyone.

13. Hell_Razor

Hell_Razor Never surrender!!! Off Topic Moderator

If you are not an advertisor you cannot have a link to a company in your sig. The sponsorship fee covers 1 username, if you want to have multiple usernames with links to your site you can pay for those as well.

Having multiple usernames with links to your company is not fair to the site sponsors who sell expensive big ticket items that they cannot afford to give away.

To be fair to everyone only the official username of the company may use thier sig to link to that company.

14. Rellik

Rellik is a dirty pirate

Well that is clear as crystal :eek:

Guess I have some photoshop work to do :(

15. '02Stang

'02Stang New Member

me too :(

16. Jester4Kicks

Jester4Kicks pwn-hawk

That's it??? :lol:

1,974 Baby! :lol:

17. AutoBadges

AutoBadges Well-Known Member

Well no offense to you Allan, but you are a moderator and not an administrator. I appreciate you coming in and stating your opinion though.

John,

Thank you for those kind words and they do mean a lot. I do completely understand what you are saying regarding "other" companies and their bad business skills and thats why I have stayed with 3.8 as long as I have and plan to stay for much much longer. Its admin like you that keep us around.

The only thing I would like to bring up is that if Justin decides to sponsor 3 cars then they should be allowed to have their sigs with the url or picture. Even if they do sell the same products that Josh @ StangSuspension sells. The only major rule would be that they do NOT EVER attempt to bring down any sales are take away sales in a post. Say for example X starts a GP for VMP for Tri Ax shifters and says 5 people for $175 shipped, and Josh @ Stangsuspension has them for $175 shipped everyday...that they don't come in and post "HEY GO TO JOSH HE HAS THEM AT $175 ALL THE TIME" Etc.

Basically respecting all other sponsors and their products and not putting down any other company for any other reason. IF they are sponsored they can chime in where people ask "where should I get this part from" and thats about it and have the link in their sigs.

What do you think about that John? These arent bobby and skippy that just bought products but vehicles that are SPONSORED by the paying sponsors.

**side note: if you still have "certain people" PMing members thats a shame**

18. Hell_Razor

Hell_Razor Never surrender!!! Off Topic Moderator

Actually John and I discussed what was posted before I posted it.

It is not fair to other companies who do not deal in nickel and dime items and can't afford to give away items to people.

19. blackstang04

blackstang04 New Member

i agree, only sponsors should be able to advertise. But if a few members decide to link a website that happens to sell stuff, I don't see a problem with it - BUT there is always the chance that it could get out of hand, so I understand what you guys are doing.

BTW, is there anything wrong with my sig? :D

20. '02Stang

'02Stang New Member

but see thats the thing..you have to keep it from being JUST SOME MEMBER, it should be SOMEONE SPONSORED by that company. If you get sponsored, your job is to get the good word out for the company that sponsored you. So I dont know why we shouldnt be able to do it here. Other members SHOULD NOT be able to add a link. All we are talking about IS JUST ADDING A LINK on the sig or at least have it on a sig