New Roush Convertible Owner- Suspension question

Spencer

New to the forum and mustangs here, I just got a 2000 V6 Roush Stage 1 convertible project that is my girlfriends old car and has been sitting in their warehouse for the past 8 years. She has owned it since it was almost new and it has 77,000 miles on it. It has some newer 18" Roush wheels and some royal blue coils on it which look like Steeda maybe, but other than that it is bone stock.

Anyways I am bringing it back to life, it runs good as is but it definitely needs some new shocks/bushings/etc in the front suspension and there is a little slack in the steering. She will be getting a major detailing this weekend and I have a big stack of parts on the way.

This is just going to be more of a weekend play toy, not going to be racing it or using it on the track but I would like to upgrade the suspension some (it's a bit soft and rolls in turns).

Since I've never had a mustang I'm not sure what aftermarket companies are good and what aren't other than the big names A friend of a friend has a mustang parts store and owes me a favor and said he could get me anything at a good discount from any of these two vendors. Anyways I just wanted to see what you guys would recommend for suspension upgrades from these companies. I was thinking maybe just some of the Strange shocks/struts, new ball joints, and I was considering new tie rod ends/steering rack bushings but I might just replace the whole steering rack while I'm at it.

Cost isn't an issue but since it's more of a cruiser and not going to be raced/tracked and I'm just not sure at what point it crosses over from improved handling into decreased ride quality on the streets.

uprproducts.com
accufabracing.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Spencer

Last edited:

6 Shooter

One of my vert early upgrades was for weld on sub-frame stiffeners which mostly stops the frame twists while cornering. 1999-2004 Mustang Parts :: Chassis :: Frame Stiffening - Steeda Autosports About any muffler shop can weld these on. They also come with torque box stiffeners which are definitely need with higher than stock HP setups. A lot of guys also like the looks of a lowered Mustang which requires a little shorter springs in front and rear which lowers the car about 1 1/2 inches in back and about 2 inches in front for a slightly raked look. If you go with shorter springs, Steeda also sells their sport springs which I used for a number of years. With the lowered springs, you will also need a bump steer kit (als0 Steeda) which lowers the steering arms and keeps the original steering geometry. And, another thing you would need would be 4-bolt caster plates. Maximum Motor sports sells very good ones. MM Caster Camber Plates And, after all the parts added on, an alignment will be needed to which I and others can provide the un-stock settings.

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
Good tires, 35 mm front sway bar, full length sub frame connectors will go a long way to tighten things up. Add a rear sway bar if none is installed, which is normal for v6 trim.

Steering is soft by design. There is a rubber isolator on the steering shaft that does few favors to the driving experience.

You could address all of this with the MM catalog. Really up to you on setting scope.

Spencer

Thanks a ton for the detailed responses! I got the wheels off to see what all was under it and I'm not familiar with Mustang suspensions. Are the spacer things in the springs for alignment or what? These springs have about 70k miles on them, worth replacing?

Thanks,
Spencer

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 68

Spencer

Also, does anyone with steeda springs know if they have a part number anywhere on them? I couldn't see one but they are dirty. They are powder coated in the blue color I saw some steeda springs online that looked the same. My girlfriend got the car with 6,000 miles on it and never added anything so I'm guessing the previous owner put them on

6 Shooter

Call Steeda and tell them what you are trying to do; keep stock height or lower the car by 1 1/2 inches. They can give you suggestions on spring choices. Suggest that if you go with new springs, also get new poly spring cups which the springs sit on. Plus, they can give you guidance on other suspension parts for your model and year car. For some comparisons, also call Maximum Motor Sports and look at their options as well. Personally, I like the Steeda subframe connectors vs Maximums as they are stiffer and have the torque box stiffener plates as well. Further, those subframe connectors also use a right angle brace that fastens to the front seat bolts which helps keep the frame more stiff with less twist. But, probably not the best option for a road racing track car. Phil II can give you the best suggestion.

Not seen those spring spacers before. Think they have been added to increase a sagging car height or for heavy passengers in the rear?? Not sure, but not stock either.

Spencer

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow!

My girlfriend got the car when it was 6 months old and had 6000 miles on it. Suspension hasn't been touched other than shocks once since she got it so had to have been done by the original owner during the first 6000 miles. I'm glad it's not just me being dumb, I don't know a ton about Mustang suspensions as I've built a bunch of trucks/off-road vehicles/motorycles haven't done much with cars before but it seemed odd to me haha.

Spencer

Thanks guys, I ordered the Steeda 1.2" lowering springs and 4 bolt caster camber plates as well as Strange adjustable shocks and new tie rods, control arms, bushings, etc. I'm also about to order some subframe connectors as well. I'll be installing all the new suspension components Wednesday.

Could you provide the recommended alignment settings for the Steeda 1.2" lowering springs?

Thanks guys,
Spencer

6 Shooter

Think you will also need a bump steer kit for the steering rod arms after lowering your car. The adjustable bump steer kit will change back the angle of the steering arms to the A-arms because it adds spacers and taller rod end bearing heights.

douglass

6shooter, I'm impressed that you found an alignment shop that was able to get your specs the way they are. Are you using caster plates, or did you move the lower control arm forward for the caster increase?

Assuming you will get the caster adjustment, the sheet 6 shooter provided looks perfect. The toe setting would be the only toss up if you want to get really specific with corning. His set up is almost identical to mine, except I run a little negative toe (toe out).

6 Shooter

I sat with the guy and watched the numbers as they showed up on the board. Made him keep changing the settings until they dialed in exactly as you see them. And, am not getting any inside or outside wear on the front tires.

Also notice how close the rear is dialed in as well. Better than stock with some corrective adjusting to the holes in the frame.

6 Shooter

6shooter, I'm impressed that you found an alignment shop that was able to get your specs the way they are. Are you using caster plates, or did you move the lower control arm forward for the caster increase?

Assuming you will get the caster adjustment, the sheet 6 shooter provided looks perfect. The toe setting would be the only toss up if you want to get really specific with corning. His set up is almost identical to mine, except I run a little negative toe (toe out).

Yes, am using 4 bolt caster plates.

The main thing after the adjustments is that the car tracks perfectly straight without any wandering from side to side. Plus, the rear blasts off in a straight line without any side shift as in the past.

douglass

I'm using the MM camber caster plates with the Del-a-lum forward offset control arm bushings. I drive the car hard, so my tire wear has been nice and even too.

6 Shooter

Had to slot the frame. No adjustable rear control arms. With tape measure and 2 X 4s, found out that the right rear was 1/4 inch longer from the front than the left. The result was that the rear end was trying push out to the right on a hard launch.

Spencer

6Shooter, thanks a ton for the alignment specs. I'm guessing the specified range is what I need to give to my alignment guys?

The springs that are on it now look to be lowering springs as well that are fairly worn so I imagine it will sit the same as it does now if not a smidge higher and the angle on the tie rods isn't too off. I read a lot of posts about people having issues with the bump steer kits not having someone that could get them set right and actually making things a little worse (which may be completely false I was just doing a bit of googling and reading articles on different forums). I don't have any kind of race shop around here that will be super great at dialing in things. Once I install the new springs and everything I am going to drop it and look at the angle and if it's off a decent bit I will order it and just return the new outer tie rods. Have you heard these issues with the bumpsteer kit or is that just obviously someone that has no clue what they are doing?

I went with the Strange shocks because I could get them at a good price because the friend of a friend has a mustang parts company that sells them and they seemed the mildest out of what they had (most were coilovers and full suspension sets). Do you have something against the Strange shocks? If so I can certainly return them and get something else, I just know I have heard of Strange which several race buddies. I want to say it was like $325 for all 4 of them. Is there something similar price range you would recommend over those?

Thanks again for all the help,
Spencer

douglass

6Shooter, thanks a ton for the alignment specs. I'm guessing the specified range is what I need to give to my alignment guys?

You will want to have them match the "Actual" columns for the left and right. Don't worry to much about specified range. If you want the car to be more aggressive when you turn in the corners with less aggression on exit then keep the toe close to zero. If you want the car to steer in to the corner less aggressive, with more aggressive on corner exit, you can have them set the toe in to +.15 to +.25" total toe.

I read a lot of posts about people having issues with the bump steer kits not having someone that could get them set right and actually making things a little worse (which may be completely false I was just doing a bit of googling and reading articles on different forums). I don't have any kind of race shop around here that will be super great at dialing in things.

You shouldn't need a bump steer kit unless you install an X2 ball joint, or change the control arm mounting position at the k member. When you lower the car the the tie rod angle should stay inline with the control arm angle. I would suggest installing your parts, align the car and drive it. You'll know pretty quick if there is a bump steer issue. I just installed steeda springs in my 98 GT, and have no issues with bump steer using the stock tierods.

On my V6 I do have a bump steer kit because I have an X2 ball joint installed.

It looks like the strange strut/shock is a drag type of shock. They allow a 10 way adjustment for rebound only. Not sure how it does with compression (soft or firm). The rebound adjustment will control how fast or slow the weight is lifted from the front and rear. Example (1) if you slam the brakes the rear rebound would control how fast the weight is lifted from the rear. Example (2) If you slam the gas the front rebound would control how fast the weight is lifted from the front

Koni Sport STR, and KYB AGX would be alternates in that price range. It will come down to preference. I have heard nothing about the strange brand besides they seem to be based on drag applications. I have the AGX in my V6 with a coilover, and i love it. I have the Koni STR in my GT and they seem good so far.

Last edited:

Spencer

Thanks a ton!! I'll return the Strange shocks/struts and order either the Koni or KYB. I was planning on installing them tomorrow so glad I saw this before I did!

Thanks again,
Spencer