Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New V6 runs high 13s out of the box...

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Codi_P, Mar 29, 2010.

1. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

digging the new v6's numbers, but i would never go back to that v6 exhaust note unless we were talking about some kind of import.

2. Aerosi665

Aerosi665 Beware of Imitators!

You have to realize that the market and competition in 1994-1995 when they were designing the original 4.6L SOHC motor was completely different than in 2007-2009 when they were designing new the 5.0L DOHC motor. Over a decade between technology improvements and a rebirth of the mustang, bringing about a re-interest in power levels, competition and efficiency. I do agree that it seems like we got screwed, but the interest wasn't really there to make a high end GT.

Funny enough though, with the new Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads, well specced cams and a quality upper intake, some of the well built N/A 4.6 2v's are hitting pretty damn close to 400rwhp N/A. Most of them are around 365-380rwhp. With some light weight reduction, proper gearing and good driving we should be able to keep up with them. Most of the new motors gains N/A will come from porting the heads and tuning. Camming the new motor seems pointless given how the TiVCT technology works.

3. Stangcharger

Stangcharger BOOST

Those times are on street tires though. With a set of even some Nitto 555R tires it will cut that time down a good amount.

4. Makoto

Makoto Just a guy

the engine is based on mazda and duratec technology. i had a 2.5L cougar and it sounded freaking SICK. i loved the sound. the V8's will sound different and some will say better but the V6's will sound awesome in and of themselves.

5. Stangin&Bangin

Stangin&Bangin Feels good man

6. Deathdeisel

Deathdeisel Well-Known Member

On the 5.0 i know drag slicks it ran 12.4, and 12.7 with summer tires so maybe take off .2-.4 for the v6 with drags? I dont think id ever buy a v6 because of a main factor, it will never be a v8. Sound wise is my main concern, 4v v8s sound sick, 4v v6 eh. I think ill save money more, for a v8, sorry. However this thread about the sixxers, hopefully SSM or someone all about sixxers will get their hands on these things and start building quick so we can know.

7. Makoto

Makoto Just a guy

well, for most people a the sound of a V8 isn't worth 8 grand :)

the point is the base model is finally cool. the GT is now awesome. thats how it should've been all along, now people that only would've gotten the V8 but didn't for cost reasons now have absolutely no reason to not get one. 30mpg, 300+hp, 6spd, lsd... ford is right when they say no excuses.

stangin - like i said, mazda/duratec technology.

8. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

What do you think I should do?

I could get a used 2010 Mustang GT with 400 miles on it for $22,700 OR a brand new 2011 Mustang v6 for 21,700.

So in other words I would like the v6 because of the new engine tech, lower insurance, better MPG.

The GT has the v8 going for it but the engine is old as hell. That could be a good thing since everyone as it lol...

I don't know what to do.

9. nav6

nav6 New Member

because some of us have performance cars that would crush the new gt regarless what blower or boltons you do to it......im buying the new v6 too....i thinks its one of the most impressive cars ford has built in a long time....305hp w/ a 6spd and 31mpg.....yea im stickn with the v6 instead of the gt.....i friggn love this new v6!!!!

10. FergusonRed6er

FergusonRed6er Call me Bruno

On a semi related note, I heard the exhaust note of a v6 Camaro from a few cars back and I thought it was a 350z or a g37. Similar sound, a little less of that trademark infiniti "ooooooo" sound though.

Sounds pretty damn sweet, not nearly as nice as my v8 but pretty nice for sure.

11. nav6

nav6 New Member

i have a funny feeling these new v6's are going to be pissing off every gt owner up to 2010...lol if i bought a 2010 gt and the 2011 v6 was at my door id be pissssssed!!!!!!.....lol these should be even with mach1's and other old 4valves...lol gooo ford!!!:lol:

12. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

No doubt they are gonna be surprising a number of unsuspecting older Mustangs V8's. I'm interested in seeing what kind of numbers they lay down with the basic mods. If they respond anything like the 3v 4.6, they could be laying down 300rwhp with minimal effort.

I'm also interested in seeing what the comparative insurance rates are between the 4.0 and 3.7. For all we know, some companies may just qualify it as "Mustang V6" and the insurance is similar the outgoing model with 95 less hp. Either way, I'm very pleased with the powertrain offerings for 2011. Ford really did deliver on their promise.

13. KevinV6

KevinV6 gudday.

I think they are already 300RWHP or very close since they're under-rated.

14. Makoto

Makoto Just a guy

they've been raping people for years on premium pricing for the slow V6. the car just finally suits the price lol

15. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

Due to the new way the engine ratings are certified it's hard to underrate the output like in the past. I'd say the rating of 305 crank within a +/- 5 is realistic, but the parasitic loss will be slightly less thanks to the ESA. I'm not sure how parasitic loss compares in the new Getrag transmissions compared to their Tremec formers.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will be posting a crap load of dyno results shortly to lay all the speculation to rest.

I wonder if the Getrag 6spd manual is a direct swap into a pre11? Hmm.......

16. nav6

nav6 New Member

or even the 3.7...lol that would be one hell of a swap

17. Nate_V6

Nate_V6 New Member

During test trials the new 3.7L achieved 42mpg. How is that for awesome? I am truly impressed with the V6. But unless you want the the looks but can't afford the GT (truly incredible motor with amazing potential) but still want awesome performance, then buy a 2010 GT. With gears, full bolt-ons and a tire you can run bottom 12s. Of course if you are looking for 30+mpg, a brand new car, cheaper insurance and pretty good performance then go for it. I was hoping they were gonna throw the ecoboost in the V6 but then the 5.0 would be out of business. The new taurus SHO with a tune runs 12.8 and it's heavier then the mustang.

18. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Teh TC6!

This in every sense. While I have more than enjoyed modding my six, and I'm still not done yet, it is a little disheartening to know that in a few more years, sixxers will have as much hp as my car does. Talk about picking the wrong platform lol.

19. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

I second that :lol: Makes me wonder why I even have the car still.

20. imreloadin

imreloadin Active Member

Did you not watch the video? At ~1:43 it said it rated at 308 hp/ 287 lb-ft torque on a chassis dyno. It looks like Ford listed the wheel hp ratings and not crank after all.