Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Noise from bottom end, maybe the bell.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by slithermgs, Mar 13, 2018.

1. slithermgs

slithermgs Member

OK, so this morning I went out to start my car (2003) once it fired up it start making a very noticeable sound. I let it run trying time figure out what it was but before I could even get the hood up it stopped.

My first thought was the tensioner pully or idler pully was about to take a ****.

But later today, I started it to put it in the garage and it done it again.

It seems to only be on start up and only for a minute or two. But not every start up.

It sounds like something is getting thrashed around somewhere in the bottom end or possibly the bell. Which leads me to my next thought.

I had wondered if the starter wasn't fully disengaging. I tried to peck it with a wooden dow rod to get it stop this would've told me pretty much for sure if that was the issue but didn't have any luck.

What are your thoughts on this? You all know more than me about these cars.

2. James Carr

James Carr sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy

is this car an Auto? if so pull the inspection plate and inspect the flywheel for damage or debris i run a chevy fleet and often time we find broken flywheels on 10yr old equipment. That been said I have not had that issue happen on my mustang (2000 thrash drift missle v6 auto) what I have had happen to me is the Camshaft synchronizer gear failure

3. slithermgs

slithermgs Member

Yes it's an auto, I'm going to tear into it tonight. I'll pull the inspection plate and see if I can see any damage. I've got a starter as well.

James Carr likes this.
  4. slithermgs

slithermgs Member

It was the starter. Took it off and hooked it to a battery and sure enough it was hanging out instead of retracting. The new one was kind of a bugger to get back in. Damn thing didn't want to go into place

James Carr likes this.