Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Noise while moving in reverse manual trans

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Thestigmach1, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Thestigmach1

Thestigmach1 Thestigmach1

so I did a really big uh oh the other day. Driving home on a long trip, tired well beyond the point that I should be on the road. while down shifting from 5th to 4th I instead found reverse, hard and grinded it some. Finally coming out of autopilot I found 4th and went on about my way. thought everything was ok it seemed to shift fine. When I got home and reversed into the driveway I was greeted by a wonderful grinding noise while moving. It does it even with the clutch in but the noise stops if i take it out of reverse and keep rolling backwards. Still goes into reverse ok, all other gears seem fine. Is this the synchros or did I just ruin the reverse gear? how do you recommend diagnosing it? I really would like to avoid taking the tranny out or disassembling it if possible. Thanks in advance guys.

2. douglass

douglass Active Member

You might have broke or ground down the reverse rear, and possibly the gear cluster. I gernaded mine a couple years ago at low speeds. I was rolling forward slowly, and did a clutch drop in reverse, trying to prevent a semi trailer from turning into me. I blew the reverse gear, cluster, and flattened the teeth on one of the main shaft gears.

3. Thestigmach1

That's what I was thinking, any way to confirm that without taking it apart? Hoping one of the old tranny rebuilders know a trick to diagnose these kinda things. I'm going to start pricing out having it rebuilt, I would have the whole thing beefed up might as well while it's open. And compare that to getting a good used one.

4. douglass

douglass Active Member

I don't know of a way to check it with out taking it apart. I paid about 350-400 for a used one from a member on this site.

5. oldfox

oldfox Member

I would drain the trans look for parts. Then take it easy on reverse and try and make it last.
    just my 2 cents

6. Thestigmach1

I may have to do that to see how badly i screwed it up. Im on the search for a whole new used one that people dont want thousands for. Hopefully i find one for a decent price and its not messed up as well.