Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Official Home Projects Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wandler, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Looks narrow with low ceilings but it might just look worse than it is. Just curious if opening that wall up would help.

2. Wandler

Wandler @nwandler

They talked about opening it up but it would be awkward and not add much. Ceilings are just over 9'. Pretty typical for a 70s house.

Gcrop likes this.
  3. Derick

Derick Best Of The Best

any plans for the ceiling? fan looks a bit dated too but hard to tell.

TV isn't level btw.

4. Wandler

Wandler @nwandler

The fans are new. Oil rubbed bronze and a dark wood finish. Doesn't really show up on the picture. They really need to get rid of the popcorn ceiling but I wasn't about to touch that project.

My level says otherwise. It's angled down slightly if that's what you're talking about.

5. Hell_Razor

Hell_Razor Never surrender!!! Off Topic Moderator

Any of you guys own those Ring doorbells? package thieves and burglaries are up in the are and figure a video doorbell could be a somewhat nice deterrent.

6. slithermgs

slithermgs Member

Defender HD 1080p 4-Channel 1TB DVR Security System with 4 Bullet Cameras

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Defender-...ecurity-System-with-4-Bullet-Cameras/54304242

This is what I bought after one of my vehicles got broken into. It works as it should and the install can be done in a day depending on your home layout. The app can be a little difficult to use. Like most things though after you figure it out, it isn't bad.

7. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

My parents do and they love it.

They make a motion sensor one with two LED flood lights I thought about buying to install on the detached garage which would over look my driveway.

8. PurpleStang

PurpleStang DON'T PANIC

We are looking to remodel our master bath... got a quote for 30K. :stonk: I'm not out of touch with reality... that is kind of insane, right??

9. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Whole lot of variables in play. Does sound high though if there is no plumbing being moved.

Wandler likes this.
  10. Derick

Derick Best Of The Best

guessing that's new everything but seems really high. not like a kitchen remodel where you need cabinets and appliances. a few thousand on tile, couple hundred on toilet, and like a thousand on the vanity? maybe another grand for the tub and then labor? that would be 5k in "parts". i'd def like to see that itemized quote b/c i would guess like 10k for a remodel.

11. Wandler

Wandler @nwandler

That's insane unless new plumbing is needed. Find a new contractor.

12. Jeff

Jeff Custom Title:

I'll come do it for half that :taylor:

13. PurpleStang

PurpleStang DON'T PANIC

How about cost of materials plus a buddy pass to visit beautiful Charleston, SC? :lol: Kidding.

So they have about 8K for the shower--we have a square shower and are looking to double its size (make it rectangular), which would also involve moving the shower head a couple of feet over to a different wall. Then they have 5K to build an elevated tile surround for a drop-in tub by the window--I was curious how expensive that would be; we might just keep the tub we have. Over 5K for the vanity, including building and painting cabinets white, when I specifically told him we wanted dark wood--glad he was paying attention. o_O The rest of the stuff just seems equally overpriced, like 1K for the base board! They also added random stuff like painting the walls, which I did not ask for--I can paint my own walls.

14. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Maybe he doesn’t want the job and ensured he wouldn’t get it. I’ve got nothing.

My in-laws had their master bath tub removed and a tiled walk in shower with a bench put in its place. No plumbing had to be moved. It was $5K.

15. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

Where's my HVAC crackers? @Gcrop

Getting some bids to replace my 27 year old furnace/AC unit. Contractor presented three options ranging from 14-16 SEER:

Install: 1 American Standard model #4YCC042A1090A 3.5 ton 14 seer single stage heat and cool with non ECM motor
    1 LP kit
    1 Sensi WiFi thermostat with wiring
    1 Sheet metal transition elbow
    1 Angle iron frame
    Replace and size up return duct with 18 inch R-8 metalized flexible ducting
    Rewrap and repair miscellaneous damaged ducting
    Install volume dampers to main duct runs for balancing
    Reconnect gas, electrical and condensate with approved connections
    New electrical circuit from panel with 8-2 copper wiring and approved breaker
    All necessary labor, materials, crane, disposal, permit and HERS duct testing included

$7600

Option 2, same as above except unit replaced with American Standard model #4YCY5042A1090 3.5 ton 15 seer 2 stage heat / 1 stage cool package gas/electric - $7765

Option 3, same as above except unit replaced with American Standard model #4YCZ6048A1090 4 ton 16 seer 2 stage heat / 2 stage cool with ECM motor - $8500

Worth the $900 to go from 14-16 SEER? Any pitfalls? Any concerns with American Standard as a brand? Price in a reasonable ballpark for what's being done (remember this is Khalifornia)?

16. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

I would definitely go with the 16 SEER for $900 more. Dad got 16 SEER 3 years ago and he absolutely loves them. Especially with what you pay per kW (I assume) in California.

American Standard is just a rebadged Trane. Similar unit, different sticker. So AS is perfectly fine.

Only possible concern with the 4 ton is that it will cool the house down faster and not allow as much dehumidifying to take place as a 3.5 ton. It’s minimal and with as dry as it is there, might not be a concern.

Pretty nice that they are running new electrical from breaker panel to condenser too.

17. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Condenser going back on roof? I noticed a new angle iron frame. The 16 SEER condenser will be substantially bigger than your existing R22 condenser.

18. Zuplar

Zuplar Unregistered User

Just curious Geoff, what brands do you recommend? One of these days I'd like to replace mine with something more efficient and a heat pump at that. Mine is currently propane and can get pricey at times. I'd like to retain the propane for backup/emergency heat, but utilize the heat pump for everything about 32 or whatever the cut off is.

19. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

I don’t do enough residential to give you any kind of list but a buddy used to use Goodman but evidently they started have a bunch of leaks after Goodman reduced the thickness of their tubing.

Trane and Carrier have their rebadged lines like Nick’s American Standard and Carrier has lines like Bryant.

R410 heat pumps are much better than the old R22 heat pumps so you should be good there.

I am drawing a blank right not but there is a residential HVAC guy on here that could give his experience with certain brands.

Zuplar likes this.
  20. Zuplar

Zuplar Unregistered User

I've always heard good things about Carrier and Trane, and I knew they had their rebadged lines, so that's what I've always had in my mind I'd go with. With how cheap electric rates are here I figured it made sense to use heat pump as much as I could, as I know I'd save money as opposed to propane. Of course I know when using heat strips it's typically more efficient to use some sort of gas instead, so I figure it's the best of both worlds.