Official Home Projects Thread

Derick

Best Of The Best
Motivation/time.

Hoping that once my kids get just a bit older, it’ll free up some time.
time for sure. dunno about motivation. i pretty much just chill/relax every evening b/c thats what to do. as much as i'd like to build ****........**** that :lol:

Wandler

@nwandler
time for sure. dunno about motivation. i pretty much just chill/relax every evening b/c thats what to do. as much as i'd like to build ****........**** that :lol:
I have lots of free time right now since we're done working until the spring.

Zuplar

Zup
That turned out well @Wandler.

Anyone have an opinion on gas fireplaces logs? My house is stubbed, actually had a log lighter, which seems dangerous, but I'm not wanting to burn real wood. Appears as though vented is the way to go for safety, and of the choices radiant produces the best heat. I'd like it to be able to be a backup heat source as well, especially if we don't have electricity.

Comments? Suggestions? Things I should look for? Plan on going to a couple shops tomorrow.

Wandler

@nwandler
We have two in our house and they're great. I actually installed the one in our bedroom and we enjoy it. A little nerve wracking drilling a giant hole in the side of your house for exhaust but it went well. We had one put in my in laws when I remodeled their TV room and they love it. I say go for it.

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
Wish I had a real wood burning fireplace. We have a gas one and have never used it in 8 years of living here.

Derick

Best Of The Best
Wish I had a real wood burning fireplace. We have a gas one and have never used it in 8 years of living here.
Same. When we were just in CO i burned a **** ton of wood in the fireplace. Love just building a massive one.

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
That **** stinks too much and **** dealing with soot. Also, cutting and finding wood isn't exactly easy.
I wouldn’t be using it as much as you more than likely. There’s no point in a gas fireplace for me since I wouldn’t be using a fireplace for heat. I like the smell, the popping, etc.

Derick

Best Of The Best
was supposed to have an appraisal this morning, but dude bailed b/c of the weather. tomorrow should be all good. we've been on a deep cleaning bender for about 5 days. i told the wife it was fine they don't care about that but she wouldn't listen. we keep the house at probably a maid quality level of cleanliness, but the last few days have been brutal. might be getting a case of beer after he's gone tomorrow :lol:

Wandler

@nwandler
Why the appraisal?

We're pretty relieved the people buying are paying cash and they don't even seem to care about doing an inspection.

Derick

Best Of The Best
don't think we will b/c we got a great rate already but considering a refi. also we toss around the idea of moving every year so curious what our appraisal is now. we bought at a great time to buy so a big curiousity factor there. what's weird though is apparently fema says we live in a disaster zone now. this is all new and i think it's based of a big tornado 30 miles away last year. wonder if @Zuplar knows anything about this? my coworker just bought a house, and he said that came up too. its like a combo inspection/appraisal and our lender brought it up. we just said ok whatever send em by and figured we'd get to know our new appraisal on top of it.

Last edited:

Zuplar

Zup
don't think we will b/c we got a great rate already but considering a refi. also we toss around the idea of moving every year so curious what our appraisal is now. we bought at a great time to buy so a big curiousity factor there. what's weird though is apparently fema says we live in a disaster zone now. this is all new and i think it's based of a big tornado 30 miles away last year. wonder if @Zuplar knows anything about this? my coworker just bought a house, and he said that came up too. its like a combo inspection/appraisal and our lender brought it up. we just said ok whatever send em by and figured we'd get to know our new appraisal on top of it.
Only thing I've ever heard on a disaster zone (living in tornado alley this is common yearly) is for tax benefits. You can make claims on your taxes if you were affected, but not sure what significance this has other than them doing a more robust inspection for things like wind and hail. The only 'weather' concern they have is a flood zone, and there are various levels of that.