Official Video Game thread...

Wandler

@nwandler
Being there is a ton of news going on lately with the next gen consoles and whatnot I think we should have a general video game thread where we can post news. We can also use this to spew our fanboyism/opinions/recommendations/reviews and other good stuff.

I'll start things off:

Peter Moore resigns as head of Xbox

It's hard to call the Xbox 360 anything but a success, but having missed some sales numbers, ringing up an extra unexpected $1b on the corporate card because of warranty issues, and still generally failing to make a profit, it looks like Peter Moore, who we just sat down with a few days ago, has stepped down from his embattled position as the ringleader of Microsoft's Xbox group. Successor to his role is Don Mattrick, who is taking over not just Peter's position as VP of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, but leading the group (including Games for Windows) entirely. Moore's new job? Prez of EA Sports, down in the SF bay area. Take THAT, Microsoft.
Anyone see the impact this will make on the 360 if any at all?

Wandler

@nwandler
PS2 compatibility is up to 88% on the PS3 now using the emulation software which will be used in the new 80gb system and currently in the European system...

Alucard

Always
still have yet to be really "wowed" by xbox and ps3, it feels like they either havent tapped into the system much or alot of it was hype....

idioteque

Pine away for your banner years.
PS2 compatibility is up to 88% on the PS3 now using the emulation software which will be used in the new 80gb system and currently in the European system...
European software can't be used in the U.S. versions of the games. It is the same story with the 360. Some games with a working pal version do not work with ntsc games and some ntsc games work but the pal version does not.

Wandler

@nwandler
European software can't be used in the U.S. versions of the games. It is the same story with the 360. Some games with a working pal version do not work with ntsc games and some ntsc games work but the pal version does not.
I know this. I was saying that the European version of the PS3 got the software version of the PS1/PS2 playback while the US got the hardware version...

Edit: Also, aren't the new consoles region free? I thought I read that somewhere...

J snazzy

Cuttles!
Wow, I am kind of shocked at that

Oh becoming pres of EA sports, thats pretty cool.

even though he was pretty coporate stoogie, I liked Peter out of the other 2.

idioteque

Pine away for your banner years.
I know this. I was saying that the European version of the PS3 got the software version of the PS1/PS2 playback while the US got the hardware version...

Edit: Also, aren't the new consoles region free? I thought I read that somewhere...
My point is that 88% on the European console does not mean 88% when the new version launches. I think region free only applies to new games, and the older titles still have it.

Wandler

@nwandler
My point is that 88% on the European console does not mean 88% when the new version launches. I think region free only applies to new games, and the older titles still have it.
From what I understood, the 88% was for all NTSC and PAL games. They didn't say specific to Europe...

TBR

TYVMSAP
The 360 is the namesake of this generation of gaming. The PS3 currently is not. The games on PS3 aren't hyped enough, and they're just mediocre. Halo 3, Gears of War, those are games that will define this generation of gaming. Like Super Nintendo/Genesis, Nintendo 64, and PS1/2 (GTA1/2/3 was the epitome of gaming from 2001-2004), to even hint at the 360 being a failure is pathetic. I hope the PS3 becomes as successful in the fact that a gaming machine brings me entertainment, because I was bored of Resistance: Fall of Man in about 25 minutes.

StangMan04

Here is another article.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced that Peter Moore has joined EA as President of the EA SPORTS™ Label. Moore joins EA from Microsoft Corporation where he served as corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division, leading both the Xbox® and Games for Windows businesses. Moore begins at EA in September and will report to EA CEO John Riccitiello.
Mr. Moore’s appointment rounds out the leadership of John Riccitiello’s recent reorganization of EA into four autonomous Labels. Frank Gibeau serves as president of the EA Games Label; Kathy Vrabeck is president of EA Casual Entertainment; and Nancy Smith is president of The Sims™ Label.
“Peter Moore’s proven record of leadership in games and sports makes him a terrific fit for heading up EA SPORTS,” said EA CEO John Riccitiello. “As a partner at Microsoft and earlier, as a competitor, we’ve learned to respect his vision and leadership.”
“The people at EA SPORTS have created one of the strongest brands in the entertainment industry and John Riccitiello is building an organization which will extend the company’s leadership to new platforms and new audiences all over the world,” said Peter Moore. “I couldn’t be more excited about joining EA and moving my family back to the San Francisco Bay Area.”
The EA SPORTS Label is the strongest brand in the games business with blockbuster franchises such as Madden NFL, NBA LIVE, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®, FIFA Soccer, NASCAR®, and others. With Peter Moore’s leadership and the passion, creativity and dedication of its development teams, EA SPORTS is expected to become even stronger in the years to come. EA plans to expand the EA SPORTS experience with new content, new platforms, new services and deep online integration.
At Microsoft, Mr. Moore was the president of the Xbox and Games for Windows businesses as well as game development at Microsoft Game Studios. Mr. Moore joined Microsoft in January 2003, originally as the head of marketing for the Xbox and Games division, bringing with him more than 20 years of experience and leadership in consumer businesses. Prior to joining Microsoft, Mr. Moore was president and COO of SEGA of America, where he was responsible for overseeing SEGA’s video game business in North America. Before that, Mr. Moore was senior vice president of marketing at Reebok International Ltd., and earlier in his career, he was president of Patrick USA, the U.S. subsidiary of the popular French sportswear company, managing all the company’s marketing, sales, finance and distribution.