PCV Delete.

Mustang007

Fire Medic
I'm not entirely sure how a PCV delete would eliminate pinging... or how you got to that condition in the first place. :wtf:
What happens is that oil mist gets drawn through the over agressive PCV through the intakes and heads and into the combustion chamber. The oil ignites before the fuel does resulting in pre-ignition/ engine pinging.

And you are actually deleting your PCV when you remove it and place breathers in it's place and cap off the upper. It's no longer Positive Crankcase Ventilation because there is no vacuum. It's now NCV- Neutral Crankcase Ventilation.

Danger Dude

Living one day at a time
What was the cause of ignition in the crankcase?
Fuel vapors and other combustable gases form in the crank case and in the combustion process a hot spot can be left behind to detonate. This is a less like occurance on modern cars but the potential still exists on cars with worn rings and such.

So is it common No!!! Does it happen on occasions Yes!!:)

Danger Dude

Living one day at a time
Here is how it can happen. I have powdercoated many valve covers for people. What I have found on numerous covers is the drivers side vent hole is completely clogged. There is a little plate that prevents raw oil from getting into the tube and only allows vapor. When this past is gunked up it is not venting. Now if you have a old stuck PCV valve it could cause problems especially when people mod there engines with performance heads, cam and intakes they go up in injector sizes. During this time if they drive around without a tune they can be running rich and unburned fuel can migrate into the crankcase creating the potential for crankcase detonation.

The typical crankcase detonation sound like a muffled backfire and can easily blow out the main seals, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket or scorch the bearings. In Drag cars and track car it can blow a hole in the oilpan and blow the top off the motor

taylor0987

hmmm, my engine blowing up, or oil in my intake... which would I rather have...
That's the point of using an inline filter or catch can rather than breathers, you prevent both of those problems- you still get positive ventilation and you don't get oil in your intakes.

Danger Dude

Living one day at a time
It is not between either of those. I stated a rarity but it does happen with the right condition. A well maintenanced engine goes a long way to preventing problems such as these. If I had a 99+ I would definately have a catch filter on the drivers side. I had breathers on mine but took them off when I kept smelling oil in the winter when the heat was on. You need some sort of crank case venting vacuum is ideal but neutral is definately better than not at all. I would also routinely check and replace the PCV as cheap as they are.

cgrant26

Chiroptera Parvulus
Well, considering that intake vacuum drops to barely above 0 hg at WOT, when your working the engine the hardest it basically IS functioning as a NVC system. Honestly, the risks are probably higher of you being killed in a plane crash than blowing up an engine due to breathers on your valve covers..

James Bailey

I have a question about the 2000 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6? Me and my wife bought this car thinking it was worth $1500 because of the v8 set up that it came with sounded nice ran nice the whole 9 yards so we took it for $900 well little did I know the charging system for the alternator isn’t working well and I thought it was the fuses so I put new fuses in well that didn’t work so I took the alternator and the battery to autozone to get it tested and they said it was both showing great feed back so I said ok and installed it back in the car well I tried to start it and the battery died it melted the positive terminal and the wire that lead from the alternator to the fuse box burnt the beginning part of the wire coming from the fuse box so I replaced both of those parts and now I’m sitting here trying to figure out why I decided to uninstalled the starter trying to look for a fusible link when there isn’t one just solid wires so idk guys is it the relay that could of went bad or is the v8 set up to much for the v6 set up like every wire I’ve tested when I uninstalled it from the car seemed to be showing up fine but when I install it back into the car it just doesn’t wanna work so can I please have any advise or suggestions that I could possibly try to get this beautiful car up an running properly

Attachments