Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Glasswolf

Hey, guys.

Trying to find out if there is any way to upgrade my power steering pump reservoir, or interchange to a pump that allows fitting lines to it to run to a different reservoir. Getting tired of returning my pumps to NAPA after it's been heated up 1.5 times and begins leaking again.

Last edited:

6 Shooter

Look at my list of options on the car. Even now, run the stock power steering pump. One possible fix is to run a larger oil return line connected to the bottom of the pump, plus use double hose clamps for better securing.

billegoat

Try a different supplier, I run a mechanic shop and we've had some sorry parts from Napa last couple years.

Glasswolf

Look at my list of options on the car. Even now, run the stock power steering pump. One possible fix is to run a larger oil return line connected to the bottom of the pump, plus use double hose clamps for better securing.
Sorry, I think you misunderstand, I don't have a problem with the lines leaking. The bottom of the seal around the reservoir always tends to leak (not to mention going through 3 that all still whine), so I was more-so trying to use it as an excuse to see if it was possible/available to upgrade to an unmarried reservoir like the GT has.

Try a different supplier, I run a mechanic shop and we've had some sorry parts from Napa last couple years.
That's been my debate, outside of trying to "upgrade". The problem is just that I have to sell myself on eating the cost because I'm pretty sure NAPA isn't going to refund me at this point (maybe though? who knows).

billegoat

I understand completely....I have at times found new motorcraft parts on rockauto at good prices. If you can find the ford part number and search it may find a good deal on a brand new one...

6 Shooter

The whine in the power steering pump is coming from the too small diameter size of the return supply hose connected to the power steering pump. The pump is whining because it has to work too hard to get enough oil pump through the power steering arms and easily return. Had this problem with the GT hydroboost system as well and it was finally solved with a larger diameter return lines connected to the bottom of the power steering pump. Note that the return line if the first photo is 3/8 inch. But, will say that my system has two return lines connected to a Y-block due to the hydroboost system which has two return sources, one from the hydrabooster and the other from the power steering arms.

The stock V-6 power steering has reply and supply lines that are excessively long.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1975-2.JPG
    IMG_1975-2.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 14