Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pre-ignition pinging

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by iamshelbysdad, Mar 24, 2017.

1. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

2000 3.8l...It runs fantastic, although on hard acceleration I hear pre ignition pinging. I've gone through and replaced everything from plugs and wires to fuel injectors. Cam sensor, crank sensor. Anybody out there had this problem. I could just crank up the stereo but I don't want to damage my pistons or whatever else this could damage. Any ideas. No codes present!

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Switch fuel to a higher octane.

3. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

I tried several different brands of Premium. I even filled up with 0% methane from 1/8th of a tank to full.

4. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

Ethanol is what I meant to say

5. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

Have Done All That And Then Some, Same Problem, 93 Octane Plus Booster No Change. Headers, Injectors, Wires, Coil, Plugs, Cold Air Intake, K&N Air Filter, New Map Sensor, Air Temp Sensor, Throttle Body Sensor, Cam sensor, Crank sensor, Fuel Line Vent Vacuum Hoses. PCV Valve Oil Catcher. I've Tried To Fix This. No Knock Sensor 99-00 V6, For The Life Of Me Don't Know Why!!!

6. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

Yep, the autoparts store has made alot of money off me as well. The Ford dealership (Brandon Ford) said the car had too many miles (198,500) and too many replaced parts to fix it. The dealer.... Shouldn't they know how to fix their products?

7. Captain Max Silver

Got 130,000 On Mine Bought With 114,000, LQQKING At Custom Tuner To Change Ign. Timing. If It Had A Distributer I'd Advance Or Retard It, But Cam Sensor Doesn't Work Like That.

iamshelbysdad likes this.
  8. Captain Max Silver

No Problem, Let Me Sit You In A New 2017 Model. LOL All Fixed!!!

9. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

The truth is, I do not like 2005+ Mustangs. They are just a 2dr sedan and too large. I could kick myself for selling my 1985 fox body convertible. I just didn't have garage space for it. A convertible requires indoor storage.

10. douglass

douglass Active Member

Has anything been done to the car?

Do you have the ability to log A/F ratio and timing?

11. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

No mods. Only have a basic OB2 scanner.

12. Captain Max Silver

Wish I Did, Any Software I Can Use To Plug In My Laptop To OB2 Port? (That's Not A Fortune.)

13. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Have you checked over the vacuum lines and gaskets seals on the top end? A little extra unmetered air could cause a lean condition leading to pre-ignition.

14. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

I will check that out. I didn't consider it to be the problem.

15. Captain Max Silver

16. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

I bought a $20 ELM327 compatible adapter on Amazon. I then bought Torque for $4 or so on Android. I'm wondering what your fuel trims look like. My engine had 250K on it before I replaced it and it ran fine.

17. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Seafoam? If you can log o2's and fuel trims that will tell everything you need to know about the fueling.

18. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

I had the same problem when I purchased the car with 171,000 miles. Once I did a full tune-up, the car would rattle and ping when I approached 2000 rpm. After doing some research, the pcv system (via the poor design of the driver's side valve cover) introduces oil into the intake and then into the combustion process. The fuel mixture is diluted due to the oil and the motor detonates often. I removed the pcv line that ran from upper intake to pcv valve on drivers side valve cover and plugged the port on the intake. I then bought a new pcv valve and a small K&N valve cover breather, installed the valve and inserted the breather onto the portion of valve where the hose would normally connect to. Then on passenger side, I removed the hose that ran from that valve cover to the throttle body and installed another small K&N breather in that valve cover. Immediately, the detonation was highly reduced. I think I would hear it at about 3500 rpm. I then ran several treatments of seamfoam into one of the small vacuum ports in the upper intake to clean out all of the residue in the intake that built up over the previous 171,000 miles. Now at 181,000, I can spin the motor up to 4000-5000 on the entrance ramp to the highway and only experience a slight bit of detonation very rarely. I bought this car in a very poor state of tune and I believe the intake is still cleaning out as I drive it. With the addition of shorty headers, true dual exhaust, a cold air intake and full tune up, the car is night and day difference from when I first drove it home and I don't have to worry that I am destroying my pistons when driving it.

19. iamshelbysdad

iamshelbysdad New Member

Thank you for the reply. I actually just replaced the power brake booster. It was a major source of vacuum leak. Car idles very nice. I rarely hear the pre-ignition anymore.

20. Captain Max Silver

How Did You Determine Vacuum Leak In Booster?