Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pre-ignition pinging

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by iamshelbysdad, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Isolating it (the booster) is one means.

2. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

Gave It Some Thought Using A Hand Held Vacuum Pump To Make Sure Hold Vacuum With No Leak down. Thanks Phil II.

3. Captain Max Silver

Found A Problem With Oil Separator Canister, Had Inexpensive One With Poor Oil Level Indicator Tube On Side,
    Plastic Fittings. Replaced With Brass Pipe And Compression Fittings, Big Difference. Seems To Have Cut Down Ping
    To All But Heavy Load With AC On ( To High A Gear, Down Shift An All Good Or AC Off ) Not 100% But Better.

4. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

Shelbysdad,
    I too have a 2000 3.8 and I will tell you my experience and how I resolved the detonation issue. Bought the car with 171,000 in a terrible state of tune. After I replaced plugs and wires, I noticed detonation at 1500-2000 rpm. Then I learned about the poor drivers side valve cover design and removed the pcv line running from cover to intake, plugged the intake, and put K&N breathers in each valve cover with a pcv valve in the drivers side valve cover. Much improved, but still detonated when approaching 3000 rpm. Then I removed the upper intake (plenum) in order to remove passenger side valve cover to replace that gasket, and found lots of carbon buildup in the plenum ports and the lower intake ports. Some was dry, some was more spongy as it was soaked with fuel and some was like tar due to the oil being introduced into the intake from the poor valve cover design. I scraped out the carbon from the plenum ports and then sprayed a can of engine degreaser inside and let it sit overnight. Thoroughly rinsed out the next day and let it dry. Was very careful when removing the carbon from top of ports in the lower intake. Put it all back together and immediately noticed improvement. No detonation now at 4500 rpm and the car is running to its potential. That carbon was absorbing the fuel going into the intake, causing a lean condition as well as diluting the fuel mixture, resulting in detonation. Power levels have improved as well as my gas mileage. Plus, with those valve cover breathers installed, I was getting a burning smell through the interior vents once the motor was good as hot. That was those carbon deposits just cooking in the plenum and the lower intake. Now the more I drive it, the less and less aroma I get and the better the car runs!
    Good luck.

5. Captain Max Silver

I've Got Mine Under Control, Made A Lot Of The Same Mods As You. Have A New Ported Set Of Heads And Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer To Install, Right Now I'm Dealing With A Low Fuel Pressure Problem. Installing New MQQG Tie Rods And Bump Steer Kit Come Next Monday Waiting On Delivery Of Some Parts At Moment. Think Some Of The Ping I've Had Is From The Low Pressure Of Fuel I'm Having. Need To Bump Up The Fuel Pump Pressure A Bit. Only About 22# pressure Need MORE!!!!

Attached Files: