Project: Another M112 V6 Setup

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
I see so many excellent projects here! I am new to the site, but here is my 2007 Mustang 4.0 SOHC supercharged project. It uses a low mileage 2004 Mustang SVT M112 Eaton supercharger I got off eBay for $400. I have been working on it for a couple of months and I'm in the final stages of assembly. It is a budget build and I have hand fabricated everything. I am also taking a lot of pictures and keeping a running document of my project in case anyone is interested when I am done. Here are just a few pictures of where I am tonight. I am probably only a weekend or 2 away from starting it up. You can see the SNOW water/methanol setup on the RH side and where I have customized a fuel splitter so I could feed from a 3/8" tank line to 2 - 5/16" lines to the rails. This is a conservative start point that should produce around 7 pounds of boost ... but I do have 2 smaller S/C pulleys :) . I also included a picture of the top of my fabricated manifold. Thanks for looking. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome. This is actually my 4th Eaton supercharger setup on a 4.0 SOHC, the other 3 were on Rangers.

RH_view.jpg
LH_View.jpg

Front_View.jpg
Manifold.jpg

Last edited:

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
Looks promising. I hope it works out well. That's awesome that you're fabricating.

When you're up and running and considering different drive pulleys I recommend you look at the m112's compressor map on Eaton. If you pulley it to remain in its more efficient regions it won't be so much of a heat pump, which in turn permits more ignition timing. The water/meth will help, too.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
Yes, I always look at the pressure maps, that was even more important with my turbo projects! I also will be taking it for a dyno tune as soon as it is mobile. I already have a new tune for the supercharger setup so it should be close for the drive to the dyno shop. I have an SCT tuner and the SCT Advantage III software that I use for some of my own adjustments. I have used water injection in almost all of my blown custom applications, I was using a home built water/alcohol injection back in early 80's on my Buick V6 :thumbup:. However, these new SNOW systems are awesome for getting just the right mix of water/methanol under boost. Probably giving away my age, but I had a used Corvair turbo Spyder when I was in college :drool: ... wish I still had that Corvair, did a lot of late night parking in that one :love:!

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
I made a bit more progress today. Got the coil bracket modified and the longer plug wires for the RH side installed. Also, finished the idler pulley for the supercharger so I got the belt installed too. I might just get it started tomorrow, just need to get a few vacuum lines added and connect the TB wires and the fuel pressure/temperature sensor connected ... pictures from tonight ...

Pullys1.jpg
Pullys2.jpg

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
:crazy: Great day today ... got the wiring all sorted out and some connectors extended. Updated the ECU tune. A few other things and, after priming the fuel system it started right up. No fuel leaks, no air leaks, 20" of vacuum, sounds good. Still have a few minor things to do (EGR Pipe, PCV Breather, etc) but it idles smooth, Wide-Band shows good A/F with the new 36# injectors. Pulls smooth with no noises ... just went around the block. The "Mickey Mouse" air intake tube was just to test run, I still need to fabricate the pipe from the throttle body to the MAF. What is it the Mazda guys say .... "Vroom, Vroom" :lol: ... won't be long until the dyno-tune to get some numbers.

Wiring1.jpg
Compete1.jpg

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
I'm on the road! I know, still have the "Mickey Mouse" intake tube, but that is the last thing and I just had to take it for a spin today. I need to work out my pieces for the intake tube, that will happen this week if I don't have any late nights at work. Awesome power pulls about 7.5 pounds of boost at 5750 RPM. Idles with 20" of vacuum and smooth as silk. The snow water/methanol injection starts at 2 pounds of boost, smooth transition when the pump starts (I have an idiot light in the pillar pod that turns green when the pump comes on). A couple of pictures ....
First, the hardest piece to fabricate, took me an hour. The EGR pipe. Had to be able to have both fittings turn tight by hand with no binding to be sure there was no stress on the pipe. And, I had to weld 3 separate pieces together. I said "darn" a few times ... or something like that. Especially once when I picked it up just after welding ... yep, grabbed it right at the weld section!

EGR_Pipe.jpg

A couple of pictures of the completed engine ... EXCEPT for the intake tube :disgust:. Even with the locker and a rolling start the tires scream when you push the engine in to boost zone.
FrontEngine.jpg
LFView.jpg

The lady in red ..... or ... the dark horse :yup::drool::crazy:

OnTheRoadAgain.jpg

Last edited:

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
Looks awesome!

Did your snow kit come with a light for indicating its on? or did you add that in yourself? And where did you find the elbow and throttle body? I'm surprised you're not using terminator parts.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
The SNOW kit came with one light for the reservoir level warning. I got another light from Radio Shack to let me know when the pump was running. I built the elbow myself and I'm still using the stock 4.0 SOHC throttle body. My buddy at the dyno shop said to use the stock throttle body for now until we got everything else tuned then I might change to a larger throttle body. I have produced 293.3 HP and 321 FT-LBs of torque with this setup on my other M112 setups on the 4.o SOHC. Building these setups is a hobby and I just enjoy fabricating all the parts. I have a variety of tools the average guy might not have, like a lathe, mill, 3 welders, big press, etc. Not a shop, just your basic 2 car garage so it gets a little crowded some times.
Tools.jpg

Last edited:

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
Quiet day at work so I took the afternoon off to drive the Mustang around. The SCT file my dyno buddy sent me must be real close. I have the SCT Advantage III software so I brought it in, looked at the changes then loaded it on my SCT X3 and installed on my ECU. A few minor things I am going to change but the engine tune is so close. Just need to get the air tube made and I am headed to the dyno. I drove it over 60 miles stopping every 10 miles to check under the hood, look for leaks, listen for any change in engine tone, etc. It was actually running better on the way home. The ECU must have completed some adaptive tuning internally. Took it on the HWY near home and booted it from 50-100 MPH, sat at 8.5 pounds of boost and hit 100 in just a couple of seconds. No comparison to the Mustang I brought a few months ago. Used about 1/2 bottle of water/methanol mix, but I am using the small 350 HP jet from the SNOW kit. Am I happy ... you bet your ass :):D:crazy: ...

Bryan Nicholson

Would you consider building a kit minus the supercharger. I am tired of getting picked on by these v8 guys. lol. I am in much needed help with my 4.0 for some power to keep up with these newer v6's out at the track.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
Hi Bryan ... my name is Brian as well ... I am writing an install document as I go along with my supercharger project. I will be done in a week or two with lots of pictures. If you want I can send you a copy to see what I have done and get some idea of the work involved. See if it is something you feel comfortable to attempt. If you were closer I'd give you a hand to get it done. We can talk off-line about me making a few of the complex parts for you. The whole build including the M112 off eBay was less than $1000 so it is not a big investment, but there is no substitute for boost in making a V6 a real street performer. Of course I spent another $350 for the Snow water/methanol injection and I recommend that to anyone who is adding a turbo or supercharger to their engine.

I am headed to the dyno shop on Saturday morning to get some numbers and see how my home built system performs. I will be running 2 different size pulleys. More to come ........

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
I drove to Birmingham early this morning, about 2 hours, and we had the car on the dyno about 9:00 AM.

OnTheDyno1.jpg

Yes I still had the "Micky Mouse" flex tube intake. I did not get time to source what I needed for the air intake, but I really wanted to get some numbers to see how effective my home built supercharger was going to produce. Plus, I will be able to see how much difference getting a proper air intake, air box and K&N cone filter will make. We made 7 runs with some tuning between the runs and after the first 4 runs with the stock SVT pulley, we switched to the 2.9 inch pulley and made 3 more runs. With the SVT pulley we got 8.2 pounds of boost. The dyno sheet shows a max boost of 8.74 pounds but that came just as I lifted off the throttle. With the 2.9 pulley it delivered 12.5 pounds, but bounced to 14.05 pounds when I lifted off the throttle. Here are the results .... with the stock Mustang SVT pulley , (3.65" is what I measured) I got 8.2 # of boost which delivered: 263.62 RWHP and 285.43 foot-pounds of torque at the rear wheels. My buddy says getting a good air intake, open box and cone filter will deliver another easy 25 HP. With the 2.9" pulley delivering 12.5 pounds of boost the numbers were: 283.84 RWHP and 323.08 foot-pounds of torque. That's 20 more HP and almost 40 foot-pounds more torque. Unfortunately, with the 2.9 in pulley, I max'ed out the MAF at 4600 RPM so the numbers would have been better ... and of course, when I get my air tube, air box and K&N cone filter I'm looking for at least another 25 HP. Here is the dyno results ... The 8.2 # of boost shows a great profile. The 12.5 # of boost shows what happens when you choke up the intake and max out the MAF. But I am really happy with the numbers and looking forward to getting the new MAF installed (already picked it up) and now I just need to upgrade the air intake. But for you guys just trying to beat a stock Mustang GT ... the 8.2 setup does it with stock Throttle body, Mustang air box and ford air filter !!!!!! Oh yes and "Mickey Mouse" air intake flex tube!!!!!

Dyno_Jan25_2014.jpg

Put in to perspective, with 8.2 pounds of reliable boost and stock intake, the 263.62 RWHP and 285.43 TQRW is around 300 engine HP and 325 TQ .... right in there with the 2007 Mustang GT ... and I know I can get another 25 HP when I clean up the intake !!

The drive to Birmingham was fun with the 8.2 pounds ... the drive home with 12.5 pounds of boost was a blast :crazy:

toph6888

Nice results, should be a blast to drive. Time for some cams! That should really wake up that supercharger.

That afr on the small pulley looks a little wanky. Drops a lot then comes up quite a bit, doesnt look like anything to worry about, but I would have hoped the tuner would have made that a bit more consistent. Hopefully with the air intake it will open up a bit more.

Do you have anything else major done to the car? Exhaust or gears or anything?

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
Yes, on that run he was trying to compensate for the MAF maxing out. On all the other runs the A/F was nice and flat. Only put in a full dual exhaust with X-pipe and has stock 331 gears

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
I know some guys like to see the MPH profile. Here is the Dynojet (HP/MPH) run with the 8.2 pounds of boost: 263.62 RWHP and 285.43 RWTQ. This is my 2007 V6 with homebuilt M112 system running 36# injectors and a Mustang GT airbox. I also added a SNOW water/Methanol injection setup and that was more as protection against detonation during boost, it is cheap insurance at $340. Other than that, the rest is a stock setup, automatic with 3.31 gears and 142K on the speedometer. I will be adding a K&N intake system because it is worth a minimum 15 HP at the top end and will look a lot better under the hood. For comparison purposes, American Muscle dyno runs on a 2004 stock GT were 221 RWHP and 260 RWTQ and on a 2005+, stock GT it was 269 RWHP and 296 RWTQ. Without a proper intake system on my 07 V6, it has 52 RWHP & 25 RWTQ more that a 99-04 and within 6 RWHP & 11 RWTQ of a 2005+ GT. When I add the Air intake system it will blow away a 99-04 GT Mustang and stay with a 05+ GT Mustang. I am looking for a new 3.2 pulley to go with the new air intake system for my next dyno run. Look at the power curves for the GT's compared to the V6 ... The V6 climbs steeply and holds strong all the way to 6200 RPM (147 MPH in 4th). On my drive back from Birmingham to Madison, at 70 MPH I would press the pedal down just enough NOT to shift down, but stay in 5th gear and it would pull like gangbusters up to 120 where I would backoff. Just amazing for a V6.

Dyn Comparison.jpg

Now, to keep everything in perspective. The complete supercharger build and install was less than $1000 including the 36# injectors, M112, GT airbox, etc. But I also bought the Snow Water/Methanol Stage 1 system ($345) which is really optional. I have already ordered the K&N Part #57S-9500 air box assembly ($150) and I will fabricate the air tube myself since it is a custom fit. And, finally, $190 for the dyno tune. If I exclude the SNOW system, the whole setup including dyno tune and the K&N I just bought .... less than $1400.

6 Shooter

Great write-ups. Nice project. Really enjoyed the pictures along the way. I do a lot of fabricating as well and would kill for some of your shop tools. :) Makes a lot of projects and mods possible. I have access to a shop and a killer of an aluminum welder. Use the hell out of both.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
I was wondering how my home built system compared to an X-Charger or Vortech system. So I went on American Muscle and got their Dyno run information for a stock 05-09 Mustang. They have 2 stock dyno runs: 172 RWHP & 196 RWTQ and 181 RWHP & 202 RWTQ. With the same car. So the average would be about: 176.5 RWHP and 199 RWTQ.

The $3434.99 (+ tax) Vortech system is supposed to produce 290 engine horsepower and 294 ft/lb torque (flywheel) at 8 PSI. Converting this to rear wheel numbers using the dyno numbers from American Muscle dyno runs, the Vortech rear wheel numbers would be around 255 RWHP and 240 RWTQ. My 8.2 PSI numbers at the rear wheels were 263.62 RWHP and 285.43 RWTQ. That is real close on the HP numbers with Vortech but my torque is 45 ft/lb better.

The $4969.99 (+ tax) X-Charger system says it produces 100+ horsepower and 80+ foot pounds of torque at between 10-11 PSI at the redline. Using the average American Muscle numbers that X-Charger system is delivering about 276.5 RWHP and 279 RWTQ.
For the X-Charger 10-11 PSI numbers I'll just use half the difference between my 8.2 and 12.2 PSI numbers say 274 RWHP and 304 RWTQ. Again, the RWHP numbers are about the same, but my setup produces 25 ft/lb more torque.

I am really pleased to see that a home built system running close to the same boost will deliver approximately the same numbers. I am going to speculate and say that the higher torque numbers from the M112 may be the result of being in a more efficient zone of the M112 pressure map relative to torque delivery.

And, exactly as the aftermarket systems, I have kept all the emissions equipment in place and I have already driven the car more than 450 miles and I have not had a "Check Engine Light".

"I love it when a plan comes together" (John 'Hannibal' Smith)

Great photos!!! All I have is an old MR2 Toyota Blower, but I haven't installed it,.. Yet! 8.2 Lbs sounds Great! I had no idea how much Psi my little V6 could handle. It would be nice to be able to adjust the pressure from inside the cab. Thanks for all the numbers, it seems like a great set of guidelines.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
That MR2 supercharger is too small and will not work on a 4.0 engine. Even the Eaton M62 is too small for a good installation on the Mustang V6. You would need to find an M90 or M112. You also need to look at the style of the supercharger, the old GM 3800 supercharger casting and T/B arrangement won't fit. But there are hundreds of old T-Bird M90's that will work, I have used a couple of these with great success and you can find them anywhere from $100 and up. They are also easy to rebuild with kits off eBay. On a 4.0 you just flip the supercharger over. The disadvantage is that they are not as efficient (rotor design) as the newer style, but they will still deliver impressive HP on a V6. And, I didn't bother with the T-Bird intercooler, I just added a water injection setup. I built one of these for my Ford Ranger 4.0 V6. As far as how much boost the 4.0 SOHC V6 engine will take ... ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. I have run setups from 6.0 pounds of boost to 14.0 pounds of boost and I have not blown up an engine yet. But I will say that 14 pounds of boost is extreme and if you try that much boost you must have an intercooler or a water/methanol injection setup. If you are in to boost a lot or the car is your daily driver 10-12 boost is very reliable if you set the system up so you do not have any detonation, too lean a mixture, etc. And the most critical is to take it to a dyno and have the ECU reprogrammed to get the right A/F ratio under boost. I built a setup with a T-Bird S/C that only cost me about $700 because I got the T-Bird S/C for $100 off eBay. I have a few ideas for adjustable boost control and will be trying them on my next install. I will post here once I have it installed and tested. I am sure there are a few guys that have already set up some boost controllers on their setups.