Project: Another M112 V6 Setup

bmckelvey
Thank you for the education, I look forward to the adjustable boost control.
I have been looking at the water to air intercoolers. I was wondering if I could run propane through the water inlet, and then out to the engine for a little extra boost, and a quick cooling for the compressed air flow. I thought this method could save a lot of room under the hood. I have also been wondering if an O3 ozone system would add to the efficiency of the burn rate. I don't know how to make O4, O5, or anything better. It would need to be a flow, as you go system because storage is much too dangerous. If I could get a two second shelf life on O4, then that would be great.

Attachments

• intercooler.JPG
    intercooler.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 173

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
The O3,O4, O5 is out of my league ... I just remember that from my high school chemistry!! I think that would be tough to get setup to run right even if you could get a high oxygen content injection.

I would just go for a Nitrous bottle in the trunk and a kit designed for the Mustang, like a 100+ horse shot. I think the propane might be a high risk setup. However, we used propane on a lot of our equipment (large generators) where I used to work years ago. Clean burning, but I am not sure you would get much of a gain in HP.

We are machining the supercharger intake from a solid piece rather than making a casting. We have a multi-axis (5 axis) CNC milling machine and it is all computer controlled. The program is about 50% done, we are doing it in stages on this first manifold to get everything just right. These manifolds will accept a variety of superchargers by using an adapter plate on the top for the supercharger mount. Hope to have the first one done this weekend. If it works out we can duplicate it easily. Bought 2 solid blocks of aluminum at $100 each. I will put the first one on my V6 as I want to test an M112 from a Ford Lightning which I al ready have. See if it produces the same boost as the Mustang M112 I have on right now. The problem with the Lightning M112 is the intake is on the top and does not leave much height under the hood. Also already have the boost adjuster that I am going to try for variable boost control.

And, as a final note ... I had a guy on a hopped up Harley Davidson try to give me a run at the lights yesterday. My Mustang V6 walked away from him like he was standing still. He gave me the thumbs up when he caught up. :crazy::thumbup:

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
Propane is less energy dense than gasoline and has a higher stoichiometric ratio (air to fuel). So you couldn't just cram more propane in to get more power out, you'd use up all the oxygen and neither would burn thoroughly enough. I've never heard of using ozone to increase the oxygen content of the intake air charge.. I assume it's not done because it's too difficult and those ozone molecules aren't exactly stable. Nitrous is the better way to do it, it seems.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
Agree on the propane, just saying we used it as a substitute for gasoline in our generators. Nitrous is the way I would go if I could not supercharge or turbocharge. But, my preference is supercharging. Easy installation, minimal maintenance, huge torque at lower RPM, lots of good 2nd hand superchargers at low prices, easy to tune on a dyno (lots of out of the box tunes as a starting point). And, they look so good sitting on top of the engine when you open the hood :)

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
Agreed, supercharging is a pretty cool concept, I want to Procharge mine at some point in the future.

I was chewing on the idea of propane being used to force cool the compressed air flow. I heard Diesel truck drivers use it to burn their fuel more efficiently. I had hoped it would work as well for a gas engine too! Pity propane is $5 a gallon.

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
Water/meth injection is a really good option. I actually inject only water, so that I don't interfere with the fuel stoichiometry. The water on its own does absorb heat, and it takes a lot of heat to convert water to steam (phase change).

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
We are machining the supercharger intake from a solid piece rather than making a casting. We have a multi-axis (5 axis) CNC milling machine and it is all computer controlled. The program is about 50% done, we are doing it in stages on this first manifold to get everything just right. These manifolds will accept a variety of superchargers by using an adapter plate on the top for the supercharger mount. Hope to have the first one done this weekend. If it works out we can duplicate it easily. Bought 2 solid blocks of aluminum at $100 each. I will put the first one on my V6 as I want to test an M112 from a Ford Lightning which I already have. See if it produces the same boost as the Mustang M112 I have on right now. The problem with the Lightning M112 is the intake is on the top and does not leave much height under the hood. Also already have the boost adjuster that I am going to try for variable boost control.

Would you consider fabricating an adapter plate to fit the m122? I'd be very interested in such an adapter that would fit on a 01-04 lower intake manifold. I expect it would perform really well on a 4.0 v6 too.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
Hey Phil II, I usually just use water in the summertime, but we have had below zero cold weather here a few times this year. Articles I have read say that the injection of small amounts of methanol do not have any negative impact and can actually help reduce detonation. I don't have any real scientific proof, so I just use a 20% mix windshield washer solution in the winter.

I already have an M122 that I bought off eBay and I am building an adapter plate for it now. I like the lower profile of the M122, but a few issues that I need to address are the location of the stock ERG is on the opposite side so I will have to block that off and add the EGR to the side of my TB to S/C tube. Also, The bypass valve is too close to the firewall so I am making a bracket that will allow me to rotate it. Also the nose of the supercharger is short so I am reversing the stock pulley. That will add more load to the nose bearing but should not be significant. I like the intake being on the LH side of the M122, keeps the intake tube shorter ... now I need to relocate the coil ... I know the M122 is overkill on a 4.0, but because of the smaller crankshaft pulley on the 4.0 SOHC, the supercharger spins a little slower even with the small S/C pulley. I have all the pressure maps for the M90, M112 and M122 and even with the M122 it is still in the "sweet spot" under boost when I use the small pulley. We will see how it all works out in a couple of weeks. The M122 also gives me some more room to increase boost. With the M112 I was maxed out on boost at 12.5 pounds with the small 2.80 S/C pulley, with the M122 I could push to 14 or 15 pounds ;)

On a side n0te ...I just got my new 17x9 chrome Bullitt wheels and 255/50ZR17 tires. I needed a lot more traction even with the locker rearend!

More to come ...

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
"Would you consider fabricating an adapter plate to fit the m122? I'd be very interested in such an adapter that would fit on a 01-04 lower intake manifold. I expect it would perform really well on a 4.0 v6 too."

Your current setup sounds really strong. I don't have the specs to be able to fabricate a manifold plate for your engine. Where did you get the M112 manifold and plate for your engine? Do you have any pictures of when you installed your current setup? Send me some info on your setup and I will see if I can fabricate an adapter plate for your configuration. Do you have a separate plate for the M112 or is it part of the manifold? Lets chat through email or give me a call.

Water/meth injection is a really good option. I actually inject only water, so that I don't interfere with the fuel stoichiometry. The water on its own does absorb heat, and it takes a lot of heat to convert water to steam (phase change).

I have been wondering if E-85 mixed 50/50 with water would work well for the water injection.
It sure would cost less then methanol.
What do you think?
I am only guessing!

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
your main concerns should be what are the main characteristic differences between methanol and ethanol. both are alcohols but have different hydrocarbon components to them. The most important difference is the volatility, methanol is somewhere on the order of twice as volatile as ethanol. Not to mention E85 is part gasoline which is also not as evaporation friendly as methanol.

bmckelvey

FordV6Guy
If your concern is cost, you could just run water which is really effective at reducing the temperature of the intake charge and cooling during the fuel combustion process. I find that the amount of methanol in the mix (say 30%) isn't really that expensive ... unless you spend all your time under boost :crazy:. My reservoir holds enough that I only use one reservoir per tank of gas. Really depends on your driving style.

Anthonys197wb

I see so many excellent projects here! I am new to the site, but here is my 2007 Mustang 4.0 SOHC supercharged project. It uses a low mileage 2004 Mustang SVT M112 Eaton supercharger I got off eBay for $400. I have been working on it for a couple of months and I'm in the final stages of assembly. It is a budget build and I have hand fabricated everything. I am also taking a lot of pictures and keeping a running document of my project in case anyone is interested when I am done. Here are just a few pictures of where I am tonight. I am probably only a weekend or 2 away from starting it up. You can see the SNOW water/methanol setup on the RH side and where I have customized a fuel splitter so I could feed from a 3/8" tank line to 2 - 5/16" lines to the rails. This is a conservative start point that should produce around 7 pounds of boost ... but I do have 2 smaller S/C pulleys :) . I also included a picture of the top of my fabricated manifold. Thanks for looking. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome. This is actually my 4th Eaton supercharger setup on a 4.0 SOHC, the other 3 were on Rangers.

View attachment 155311 View attachment 155310
View attachment 155307 View attachment 155308

Hi my name is Anthony I've come across your build and am trying to replicate my own but I've come across some problems that I couldn't find specific answers for us there any way I could contact you besides on this forum?

Nice Pony

Way to go on your home build setup! Pretty cool there are still those out there that can think and build things on their own.

The numbers you quoted for the X-Charger are not accurate at all. If you do a little research on it you will find the average X-Charger make just over 300RWHP on a Dynojet not the 274RWHP you state.

I modified my X-Charger kit to fit an MP1900 TVS supercharger. Running 14 PSI intercooled it puts down 342RWHP 347RWTQ on Mustang Dyno. Doing the calculations to Dynojet numbers it would be around 370+ RWHP. Regardless of the numbers it now pulls so much harder than my MP90 did making 300+ RWHP there is no comparison at all.

20Mustang05

Hey brian i sent you a message on here, i have a couple questions and would like any tips guidance or help you could give me. I also sent you an email, my names chris!

aidan.4.0

I want to do this but im just hesitant on doing it. i daily drive this car and i don't want to blow it up. it has 142k. I just dont know where to get the new intake manifold, pulleys, and new parts for the supercharger. im 17 so money is tight ut i am very willing to spend it if i know it will work. i was thinking of putting forged rods and pistons in but again i cant find where i would buy them.