Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Project New beginning

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 38stang, Jul 17, 2013.

1. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Some of you may know that I totaled my 96 from over on v6power. So I've started building a new to me 96 mustang that looks just like my original car with the exception that my old car was fully loaded and this one has no options. This one is also dented up and needs paint bad and the engine was bad. But it was fine for a $450 car that is now going to be a race car. The old car was a street car first and a race car second, this one will be a race car first.

To get every one up to speed with were it is now:
    The plan was to pull the entire drivetrain from the wrecked car and transfer it to the new one. Well I found out the crank was bent so I ordered a scat crank after going through a bunch of re-man cranks. Got it balanced and didn't realize scat made there cranks with larger counter weights (and yes they hit the pistons) so I had to send it back to the shop and have it cut down and rebalanced. So after that I started installing the pistons and damn it wouldn't you know I broke a ring installing the 3rd piston so I ordered all new rings and re-honed the cylinders. That is were I'm at with the engine right now. Waiting on the new rings to come it.

I'm going with a water to air intercooler this time around and have moved the blower up to were the A/C used to sit and in doing that I was able to keep the factory tensioner, this should give me better grip on the blower pulley than the cheap one procharger provides.

This was my old car
    [​IMG]

The old engine set up
    [​IMG]

And what happened
    [​IMG]

2. 38stang

38stang Active Member

here's the new car
    [​IMG]

This is the blower set up looks like on the engine before I pulled it back out
    [​IMG]

The intercooler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tank and lines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of the engine work
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mustang024

mustang024 Active Member

Glad you made it over to this site! V6power is not what it used to be... alot of the diehards that remain are here. Glad you stuck with it and rebuilt on a new chassis.

4. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Thanks man. People just don't go there like used to.

I finally got my rings yesterday and started file fitting them in, I have 2 pistons done and will be working on it some more later tonight.

5. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

wasup bud, glad you posted over here.

6. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

i dunno you, but good to have you aboard lol.

7. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I thought maybe my built may help other people out with ideas on there builds, and I looks like a lot more people are over here now.

I got the engine back together Sunday. It started storming so I had to wait till this morning to put her in. I'll hopefully have it all finished tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. WnaFstPny

WnaFstPny Member

if you dont mind me asking, where did you get your main girdle from??

9. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I got it from Delk. A lot of people don't like them, but I didn't have any problems. that's the only thing I've bought from them though.

10. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Some progress was made today I have the exhaust back in. All of the accessories are on including the S/C. I just need to make a boost pipe with a blow off valve port to go from the S/C to the intercooler and hook up the cooling system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. toph6888

toph6888 Active Member

Looking good man, you do quick work haha. How much power are you looking to make?

12. V6procharged

agreed, moving right along.

13. SlowSix01

SlowSix01 Active Member

is that a custom procharger bracket ?

14. V6procharged

it is an add-on piece he made to mount another small pulley for better belt wrap. he was having belt slip issues.

15. SlowSix01

SlowSix01 Active Member

I thought the procharger was mounted lower than that on the v6

16. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I'd like to see no less than 450rwhp. and ya I don't waste time, I need this done so I can race again lol.

I made the blower bracket, it mounts were the A/C compressor was, I gutted the A/C system out. I also added a extra idler pulley so I wouldn't get any belt slip. I'm also using the stock belt tensioner in hopes of it keeping belt slip in check better. the stock one looks like and feels like it will give better tension. only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  17. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I got every thing finished up under the hood, well I need to run some vac lines but for today I just caped them off so I could start her up. And damn it took some time for her to start ( the fuel lines were dry) I had turn the key a bunch of times to get fuel up there. I definitely have to do some tuning she doesn't want to stay running. I'll work on that after I get all the electrical and the meth/water hooked back up.

here's a few pics of the blower and piping set up. Its a very nice and tight setup so I still have plenty of room in front of the engine.

[​IMG]

From the under side
    [​IMG]

18. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I'd like to see a 5000rpm stall behind a d1sc v6. Do you lock you pi stallion? Have you ever made passes not locking until top of 2nd and top of 3rd?

If I still had my d1sc I'd have it setup like this and a healthy shot of nitrous.

19. 38stang

38stang Active Member

5000 is a bit high to me, maybe 4200. My old car actually stalled to 3400rpm

I race with 2nd and 3rd locked. I tried it unlocked in both gears and it slowed down some. I may retry it with this set up again and see how it goes.
    locking the converter in 2nd and 3rd gear got me [email protected] with my old car at 3500lb.

20. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Haven't posted in a while. just a small update.

I got all of my gauges back in and am now working on the tune with some progress. I do have a problem with the wideband and the meth kit not communicating with the data logger so I need to do some checks in my wiring and get that fixed so I can tune WOT.

She does run pretty good now, I've put 20 miles on the engine and have done a short half throttle pull that gave me 6 psi and just 3700rpm. But that's just the tip up the iceberg. oh and the exhaust is definitely louder than it use to be for some reason, but I'm still using the same exhaust from headers to tips