Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Project New beginning

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 38stang, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Turbang_6

Turbang_6 3.8 Turbo Build Under Way

Wow thats still a great accomplishment and I can't wait to see some of your 10 sec passes!

Did you ever get your car dynoed?

2. 38stang

38stang Active Member

No I never dynoed her. Every one around here keeps asking my to, I may one of these days

3. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Whoa. Can't believe I missed this one. Awesome numbers. Wow, .06 seconds from a 10 second run. The video was a great addition.

Not in a hurry to go to the track with my car now that it is running 100 degrees every day. Got a few piddling things left to do. Working on other projects till the heat cools down.

4. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Thanks man. It shouldnt be long before it starts to cool down a bit, maybe a month.

5. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I've started making some changes to the car today trying to get a little more power.
    Right now the air filter is right behind the radiator, sucking in 200* air that the intercooler has to cool off after the blower heats it up even more. So on hot days like my last track night, even with ice in the tank the charg air wouldnt go colder than 70* at idle and would hit 130* (temp is read before the meth sprayer) going down track.

So I started looking a little harder for a way to mount the filter in the fender. This is what I have come up with.

I have just enough room to cut a hole in the iner fender right behind the head light to make it work. I also have some wiring I have to move as well.
    Here are a few pics so far.

[​IMG]

With the fender off you can see what I need to cut better.
    [​IMG]

6. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I got the hole cut and the filter in this morning, its a really tight fit but it works. I'll do some data logs to see if there is much of a change in charger air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Brumby

Brumby Gone E85

South Hanover Township, Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
  8. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Well here it is my first 10 second pass and on the first pass of the night. On the second pass the belt broke, it snaped in half and I think I blew out a intake gasket some were on the first pass. off boost she runs lean, missfires and studers. But under boost she runs great. I'll have to look at it after work today.
    Anyway here is the time slip.

[​IMG]

Phil II likes this.
  9. Turbang_6

Wo ho a 10 sec pass!

10. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I blew the T/B shaft seals out. I think I found some that will work, Ill find out tomorrow

11. mustang024

mustang024 Active Member

Congrats, it was all worth it just for that slip!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  12. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Well the T/B was only half the problem. I also fried the coil pack wires and fould out the plugs.

I ordered a MSD coil and wires droped in some new plugs and and shes back up and running.
    [​IMG]

I also found out that my intercooler pump was not working and cavitating under WOT so I picked up a rule 800gph pump, it flowed better but not enough and still cavitated
    so I moved the tank to the right side and turned it around, I also put the 03 cobra pump between the intercooler and exchanger. That seems to be working very well.

[​IMG]

13. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Got a set of MSD plug wires a while back that looked just like the photo. Called them and was assured that the plug wire boots could be bent into a 45 degree angle or more. Think you will need to bend them to keep from burning the boots. And, with your boost and power, good idea to tie up the plug wires and hang them to were they cannot fly off or drop down on a header and get fried.

14. 38stang

38stang Active Member

These wire are not ideal they do hold the wires off of the headers really well but they are almost bango tight and the number 6 wire is pressed against the brake booster. And no MSD is wrong you cant bend the boots, way to go MSD.

15. 38stang

38stang Active Member

Well I had a new problem that Im still scratching my head over. After fixing all that, she started running lean again only it was everywere from idle to WOT. Idle and cruise A/F went to 18:1 and WOT went to 13.5 A/F, all sensors seem to be working normal and no changes in the tune. So I made some data logs and adjusted the MAF to get the A/F back close to were its supposed to be. It seems to be working fine, but there is a really rich area in the 3000 to 5000 rpm range that goes rich 10.2 A/F and I cant do anything about it the MAF curve is flat lined in that area and if I try to make it right the curve goes way below idle and cruise add counts and as you all know you cant do that. I'm speculating that the MAF could be going bad but I cant figure it out for sure.

16. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Mine does the same thing sometimes but its a fairly new maf. If you figure it out post results.

17. Turbang_6

I'm no expert but do you have a boost leak or vac leak?

18. 38stang

38stang Active Member

I've searched and cant find one anywhere.

19. Turbang_6

Have you tried to smoke test it?

20. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

What is the ltft doing? Could be a bad o2 sensor. Log both and see if millivolts are similar between banks. You can force either bank to read off either front o2sensor also. It's under adaptive injector mapping. Both my banks run off bank 1 o2 sensor.