Project: Road Race Turbo V6

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
As most of you know, I have been building a road race car to compete in the NASA American Iron series. This class is for any American 2 door coupe that came with 4 seats. The class is dominated by Mustangs with several Camaros and Challengers thrown in the mix. All of the cars running now are hopped up V8s making between 400-450hp. The class also dictates that you can only have 8.5 pounds per HP. This means that you can get away with much less power if you keep the weight down. For this, I have decided to keep the V6 platform and find some other way to make the power.

The options are:
1) Build an all out NA motor that spins to super high RPM - super expensive with high maintenance costs and peaky power
2) Add a supercharger - Eats belts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a road course
3) Add a turbocharger - Heat

So, the solution is simple (ish). Build a turbo kit that is sized and tuned for road racing. The goal is to run no more than 10-12 psi and make around 350hp/375tq.

Here is the list of things on the way or here alread:

Precision 3431E with a .61 ar
Precision 44mm wastegate
Precision flanges (up pipe, downpipe, oil)
39lb injectors
oil cooler
headers and crossover piping
exhaust and muffler
Live wire tuner
spec stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywhee (already installed)

Things left to buy:
Fuel pump
intercooler and piping
blow off valve
MAF
gauges
braided steel oil lines and fittings
tune

The plan is to have all of this done by March for the first event at Road Atlanta. Hopefully I can get the tune done in February and do some auto-x events to work some of the bugs out.

So...on to the build:
To-Do list:
IMG_0687.jpg

Built a better rig for the welder:
DSC_0044_zps4345a2e9.jpg

Had a friend donate a bench grinder with belt and disk sander:
DSC_0045_zps6e29e9fe.jpg

Oil Cooler
IMG_0573.jpg

Goodbye old headers:
DSC_0031_zpsb70bd279.jpg

Hello custom (reversed factory) headers:
DSC_0048_zps887168c8.jpg

Drivers side crossover:
DSC_0054_zps742bbca8.jpg

DSC_0051_zps362246f3.jpg

DSC_0059_zps0359f3c3.jpg

Passenger side header attempt #1:
DSC_0060_zpsc584efb5.jpg

It didn't work...
DSC_0061_zps2f5a6486.jpg

The correct orientation and now it works:
DSC_0064_zps620298ad.jpg

Thats all for now...will update thought the winter break:D

JTsStang

Boosted V6
Nice work so far diller. I have the same exact welder, lincoln 140? I dont run gas with mine though, havent need it to be honest. What fuel pump you going with?

btw... here is how you make a tensioner, just get a flat peice of steal and put 2 holes in it, one for the bracket and one for the alt. This is how you get rid of the ac bracket and tensioner. Also check out my vid on youtube "6262 mustang" under jtsstang

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited by a moderator:

Ironhandx

At 350 HP goal, make sure you're looking around the SVT Performance forums. Every part you need besides the piping and intercooler can be swapped in from a Cobra stock part.

Not sure what the tracks are like, but with power limitations you should be able to do quite well. Any turn-heavy track you'll have a weight and balance advantage. You'll basically be closer to abusing the thing Porsche abuses: "My car weighs nothing and turns on a dime because its extremely rear-loaded!" You won't have the extremely part, but exiting the turns faster than a V8 while having similar top end acceleration due to weight advantage will be nice. You've raced some already. I assume against some of these V8s... how badly are they killing you on the straights right now?

Also... your beer cans appear to be smaller down there...

greensteeda

Nice work so far diller. I have the same exact welder, lincoln 140? I dont run gas with mine though, havent need it to be honest. What fuel pump you going with?

btw... here is how you make a tensioner, just get a flat peice of steal and put 2 holes in it, one for the bracket and one for the alt. This is how you get rid of the ac bracket and tensioner. Also check out my vid on youtube "6262 mustang" under jtsstang

Yep, its a weld pack 140. Switching to gas was the best thing I have done with this welder. Made everything so much cleaner and easier to do multiple passes on the same joint.

I'll take a look at the video as I would love to get rid of the giant useless pulley.

I am looking at running the Striker-X pump from Lethal performance. Looks like it will run north of 350lph @40psi. Thoughts?

greensteeda

Cant wait for this to be done, about time you put some boost on your car!

I totally agree haha. I am really excited to see how much lap time I pick up at Road Atlanta with just the addition of more power...well I hope to have some aero help as well.

greensteeda

Thanks guys. The turbo will be here Thursday along with my flanges and the rest of the exhaust pipe. I have something very special planned for the exit of the exhaust so stay tuned. I am off all next week so I should make some pretty good progress.

On a different note, I scored a great Craigslist find with this bumper cover from Cerevinis. I found it in perfect condition for $100
IMG_0686-Copy.jpg

As some of you might know, the one I have now was modified by the previous owner to accept a custom splitter that never made it. All I need to do is scuff it and paint it. The fitment is fantastic, it's lighter and stiffer than my current bumper.

JTsStang

Boosted V6
Yep, its a weld pack 140. Switching to gas was the best thing I have done with this welder. Made everything so much cleaner and easier to do multiple passes on the same joint.

I'll take a look at the video as I would love to get rid of the giant useless pulley.

I am looking at running the Striker-X pump from Lethal performance. Looks like it will run north of 350lph @40psi. Thoughts?

Not fimilar with that pump but lethal does have good reputation. If you can find some real world results on the net I'd go by that instead of the bench flow tests manufactures usually do. I'd assume that pump will pull high amps so a wire upgrade would be on my to do list before it's tuned. Phil on v6p has a pretty good write up on this mod, it's basiclly running 10g wire from power dist. box to fpdm, you MIGHT have to go all the way to the pump but just running to fpdm will give you fpdc head room. Or you could just do a 20a bap for that power goal.

I'm going to have to look into getting a bottle for mine. Can you weld aluminum with it?

greensteeda

Not fimilar with that pump but lethal does have good reputation. If you can find some real world results on the net I'd go by that instead of the bench flow tests manufactures usually do. I'd assume that pump will pull high amps so a wire upgrade would be on my to do list before it's tuned. Phil on v6p has a pretty good write up on this mod, it's basiclly running 10g wire from power dist. box to fpdm, you MIGHT have to go all the way to the pump but just running to fpdm will give you fpdc head room. Or you could just do a 20a bap for that power goal.

I'm going to have to look into getting a bottle for mine. Can you weld aluminum with it?

I have heard about that wire upgrade but never looking into where the wires are and where I need to run them. I will most likely make some trap doors to the fuel hat and fuel filter so I don't have to drop the tank or cut off part of my arm reaching through the IRS to the filter.

I can't find a better deal for a fuel pump these days as the SVT Focus pumps are a premium now.

Also, the plan is to use the VMP Tuning HPX MAF with their 3" housing. Since I plan to take the car to VMP for the tune I figured that may be the best option there.

JpL4K3

Dang with this talk of the Stryker Pump, I am wondering if I should just do that instead of the 03 cobra fuel setup I was planning on to hit 500whp.

greensteeda

Dang with this talk of the Stryker Pump, I am wondering if I should just do that instead of the 03 cobra fuel setup I was planning on to hit 500whp.

Kind of glad I don't have to worry about that much power because the fuel system costs go way up when you talk about that kind of power.

Seems like I missed the train on "affordable" fuel system parts.

Ortiz

Sup
Aviator pumps are what I recommend to all my customers. They flow 310lph and have a ton more flow than the Focus pump, are WAY cheaper, and they plug and play just like stock.