Psychology Paper Topic Help?

Hooligan01

Cold Hearted B*stard
Okay, so for our psychology class we need to do a paper on a psychological disorder. Any thoughts on a good one to do? Or has anyone done a paper on one and thought it was a good topic?

idioteque

Pine away for your banner years.
What kind of class/paper? Is this a general class or are you a psych major? What kind of information are they asking for?

BPD is pretty interesting=Borderline Personality Disorder...but im sure you knew that:D
Axis II isn't a good place to start depending on the type of the class.

idioteque

Schizophrenia is an easy topic for a beginner. Biological causes and the different subtypes should fill in the pages quickly. Just don't mention the VT shooting unless you want to look like an asshole. That is just if you want a basic topic.

If you want to impress the teacher go for one of the types of aphasia. Or just do a general topic on aphasia and list a couple of different ones.

Hooligan01

Cold Hearted B*stard
Damn, you know what you're talking about. Regarding schizophrenia, he mentioned it earlier and said he felt that might be to broad of a topic. I mean, i think it would work, but those are his thoughts.

Thanks so much to the both of you (idioteque and luniz7) for the advice.

idioteque

damn, you know what you're talking about. Regarding schizophrenia, he mentioned it earlier and said he felt that might be to broad of a topic. I mean, i think it would work, but those are his thoughts.
It is a broad topic. That is why I mentioned it. If you want to narrow it down, do a comparison of the subtypes and why they are all considered a form of schizophrenia despite the really dissimilar symptoms.

Caminsky

Relevant
Axis I involves what most people think of as far as disorders go (Major Depression, Bipolar I & II, Schizophrenia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, OCD, PTSD, Dysthymia, Cyclothymia, etc).

Axis II covers personality disorders (Conduct disorder, Narcissitic personality disorder, Histrionic personality disorder, etc).

If you want to be unique go for some lesser known disorders:

Dissociative Fugue is a strange Axis I disorder where an individual just takes off and leaves his life behind and cannot remember much (if anything) about their life (sometimes even forming a new identity, but it usually does not last for more than one month.

On Axis II, Schizotypal personality disorder is an interesting one. This disorder is characterized by social isolation, odd behavior and train of thought, and sometimes feeling as if one has special powers or abilities. Think of the psychics on South Park "Sha-na-na-na-na!"