Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Push-Button Start ??

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by stangof15, Aug 7, 2015.

1. stangof15

stangof15 New Member

I have an 07 v6 and wondering if anyone has done any legit DIY push starts? This is my thinking, have a switch to turn the car to "run" mode (power and accessories on) and have a simple push start like the ones from americanmuscle.com to start the car. I figure I would need to just rewire some of the ignition wiring with some switches, as well as disable the wheel lock. But not too sure which wires are which? I know there are other guides out there, but I'm curious if anyone has done it with an 07 or up. I don't really want to screw up the electronics/computer systems. If anybody has any leads, tips, or can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

I've always liked the idea of a push-button start, but don't want to pay hundreds and don't want to have to still put my key in the ignition, because that's pointless in my opinion.

2. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

I assume you know that your key has an identifying chip in it that the car needs to ensure that only an authorized user is trying to start it right? You will still need to put your key near the sensor for the car to run even if you got rid of the ignition tumbler. If you do it permanently, security features built into the ignition are completely bypassed and anyone could just get in your car and drive away with it.

3. stangof15

stangof15 New Member

The goal is to have both the push start and the original system working. I'm not too sure what the range of the microchip is, but I don't mind carrying the key in my pocket, which is fairly close to the ignition. I'm not sure but hopefully that will work. If not I will just put the key within its range until I can figure something else out.

I know the systems are getting more complicated electronically now, thats why I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I do plan on adding some other security measures, but one step at a time. The first is getting the push-start to work. Hopefully going to be doing some heavy research this coming week.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  4. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

do you have a haynes manual or similar maintenance book? I'd look in there for wiring diagrams of the ignition switch to figure out if there's an accessories, run, and start wire. If not, you may be able to figure out what wire is which by disassembling the steering column and checking which has voltage in each key position. Exercise extreme caution doing this though, you don't want to accidentally set off that airbag.