Question: Coolant Temp Sensor

Narcosis

Drove it, like I stole it
Hey guys,
I'm really having some trouble with my coolant temp sensor. From what I can tell there's nothing actually wrong with the sensor itself, but my friend who's been working on the car, says that the connector itself is not working. He jumped it, and he got no response from it I guess. He says he needs to know where the wire is going, because from the diagrams he's looked at, it's showing nothing to where it goes for the 2001 year, on the ECM. The 2000 year shows it on pin 38, but nothing there for 2001. So I guess i'm trying to figure out where the wire goes, because I think he plans on running a new one, and so far we're stumped. Any help would be appreciated at all. I guess I should mention it's showing -40 on his scan tool, so I guess that means it's just dumping fuel to compensate for it. I'm not to literate when it comes to this sort of thing, so you'll have to forgive some of my ignorance, i'm not usually this bad lol. Symptoms of the car right now are it's idling kinda funny, up and down sorta, and lots of blue smoke. Keep in mind it's a new rebuild, so I guess the rings could still be setting in, but it's blowin A LOT of blue smoke.

taylor0987

There is not a coolant temperature sensor on 2001-2004 v6 Mustangs.

There is only a cylinder head temperature sensor.

It is on the back of the driver's side cylinder head screwed into a bolt hole. It is attached to a connector on the transmission harness. If for some reason you used a 99-00 trans harness when you put your engine back in then you won't have a way to connect it.

According to the 2001 Ford factory service cd, on 2001 v6 Mustang there is NOTHING connected to pin 38 on the computer, and the CHT connects to pin 66.

klotzstang

It is on the back of the driver's side cylinder head screwed into a bolt hole. It is attached to a connector on the transmission harness. If for some reason you used a 99-00 trans harness when you put your engine back in then you won't have a way to connect it.

According to the 2001 Ford factory service cd, on 2001 v6 Mustang there is NOTHING connected to pin 38 on the computer, and the CHT connects to pin 66.

Actually there are Two heat sensors, there is one screwed into the intake manifol, just below the "Log ram" part of the upper manifol,or plenum, on the driver's side. Both are interfaced with the main computer. It was on pin 38 in 99-00, but is on another pin, which I can find later.

taylor0987

Actually there are Two heat sensors, there is one screwed into the intake manifol, just below the "Log ram" part of the upper manifol,or plenum, on the driver's side. Both are interfaced with the main computer. It was on pin 38 in 99-00, but is on another pin, which I can find later.
WRONG. 99-00 has a coolant temperature sensor on the lower intake manifold but we are talking about Narcosis' 2001 v6 Ford Mustang. Please check your facts before posting. 2001-2004 has many changes from 99-00 v6 Mustang. One of those changes is that 2001-2004 DOES NOT have a coolant temperature sensor.

Here is a picture of the two different lower intake manifolds. The top one is a 2001-04 part. Note that it has a land but DOES NOT have the hole drilled/tapped for the coolant temp sensor.

http://rpm-mustangs.com/articles/info-intakedifferences.html

taylor0987

Klotzstang, what year is your car?

unless I misunderstand your information, you have Car Year listed as y2k. y2k=2000=you have a 2000.

2000 is different than 2001.

Narcosis has a 2001.

Therefore your car is different than narcosis' car.

99-00 DO have a coolant temp sensor. they do not have a cylinder head temp sensor.
01-04 DO NOT have a coolant temp sensor. the DO have a cylinder head temp sensor.

I have checked my facts. I looked it up in the Ford factory service CDs. I have 99 and 2000 Mustangs right here in my driveway. I have a 2003 engine in my '94, from which I removed the lower intake manifold. I have a 2001 and 2002 engines in my garage. I removed the lower intake manifold from the 2001 and I have the 2002 still whole. I have pulled intakes off of several other v6 Mustangs in the junkyard.

here are pics of the lower intake still on the 2002 engine. Note the lack of coolant temp sensor in the lower intake.

Narcosis

Ok you guys are going to hate me for mentioning this now...but my lower intake manifold is from a 2000 year I believe, it DOES have the 2 sensor ports, but now I think this makes more sense, and I really appreciate your input, because I'm pretty sure we just need to make sure and plug up those ports, and make sure we've got it all connected correctly to that cylinder head temp sensor. Any more help is always appreciated. :thumbup:

taylor0987

Narcosis, one of those ports would be a great place to stick a temp sensor to drive a temp gauge in the car so you have an accurate coolant temp readout...

klotzstang

Ok you guys are going to hate me for mentioning this now...but my lower intake manifold is from a 2000 year I believe, it DOES have the 2 sensor ports, but now I think this makes more sense, and I really appreciate your input, because I'm pretty sure we just need to make sure and plug up those ports, and make sure we've got it all connected correctly to that cylinder head temp sensor. Any more help is always appreciated. :thumbup:

So I guess I an not the only one who has what is maybe a mid-year change.
But Taylor likes to contra dict most of what I have experianced. Not all changes are in the book, so allowences have to be made.
I don't hate you, but now 'ol taylor will get to flame me, as for some reason my car has an out of the ordinary change. It happens .
Maybe it is caused by pad material build-up.:lol:

klotzstang

Narcosis, one of those ports would be a great place to stick a temp sensor to drive a temp gauge in the car so you have an accurate coolant temp readout...
Maybe I have two, as it may have been an attempt at a similar system.
Or, as I know I bought the car new, and nobody messed with it, it came from a "Balmer" assembly plant. :lol:

taylor0987

Klotzstang, you are not being flamed. This isn't personal, it's a technical discussion. You are still are not answering the question. It looks like from your profile that you have a 2000. But we still need to know:

Klotzstang, What year is your car?

I'm trying to explain how things are on a 2001 because that is what year of car the original poster, Necrosis has. You are describing how things are on a 2000. I am not disagreeing with what you said about 2000.

my main point is this: 99-2000 are different from 2001-2004. and if your car is a 2000 then none of what I have posted disagrees with what you have posted about your car. But if your car is a 2001 then I'm wrong.
-------------

Necrosis, is the 2000 lower you have on there what came on the car originally? Or did you swap it in because it was ported or because it doesn't have IMRC?

klotzstang

Klotzstang, you are not being flamed. This isn't personal, it's a technical discussion. You are still are not answering the question. It looks like from your profile that you have a 2000. But we still need to know:

I'm trying to explain how things are on a 2001 because that is what year of car the original poster, Necrosis has. You are describing how things are on a 2000. I am not disagreeing with what you said about 2000. But if your car is a 2001 then I'm wrong.

my main point is this: 99-2000 are different from 2001-2004. and if your car is a 2000 then none of what I have posted disagrees with what you have posted about your car.
-------------

Necrosis, is the 2000 lower you have on there what came on the car originally? Or did you swap it in because it was ported or because it doesn't have IMRC?

Well,this must be my red letter day. If you take time to read my avatar, it will tell you what year my car is. Well, it did before, where did it go!
I told you how it is configured.
If any of this bothers you, then let it, I don't have patience for you right now, and if I post anything more about anything, you might go off and use more large font YELLING at me. I will not give you the fuel for another fire.
See Ya!!:uhh: :lol: :disgust: :crazy:

taylor0987

The whole point of this thread is to help necrosis. I'm sorry if I have upset you.

I read your avatar. Look at post #6 as well as my text that you just quoted. The changes being discussed happened in model year 2001. Necrosis' car is a 2001. Your car is a 2000. So the cars are going to be different.

klotzstang

The whole point of this thread is to help necrosis. I'm sorry if I have upset you.

I read your avatar. Look at post #6 as well as my text that you just quoted. The changes being discussed happened in model year 2001. Necrosis' car is a 2001. Your car is a 2000. So the cars are going to be different.

DUUUH!
In the first picture of the link you posted, you can see the 4.2 has two sensors. For some reason, my car has two sensors EXACTLY AS SHOWN. (Caps for clarity.)
Why does it have two? I don't know, it may be a mid year change that was done to fix a overheating problem.
You will not always find the info in the DVDs, books, or other media, as every auto manufacturer runs tests on production cars, to see what happens in the world outside the testing labs and factories.
I may just have one of these cars, but you seem to believe the DVDs are The Book of Mustangs from the Holy Bible, as written by Saint Edsel.
Ford is not a religeon, they constantly test prototypes and you are part of the test.
When you go to a dealer, your VIN is run through the Ford system, and if your problem is due to a setup like mine, it gets redflagged. I think that may be why when I had fan issues under warranty, a lot of parts were replaced, and the service manager said he never saw some of the things that were factory installed on my car. And you cannot tell, until you get in to it.
My car might be one out of thousands, but not unique.
Looks like I have a earlier setup, with newer enhancements.
This a long answer, but too bad.

Why do people say "VIN Number", when the "N" stands for "Number"?:uhh:

Narcosis

I'm trying to explain how things are on a 2001 because that is what year of car the original poster, Necrosis has. You are describing how things are on a 2000. I am not disagreeing with what you said about 2000.

my main point is this: 99-2000 are different from 2001-2004. and if your car is a 2000 then none of what I have posted disagrees with what you have posted about your car. But if your car is a 2001 then I'm wrong.
-------------

Hey, yeah the lower was swapped in for those exact reasons. Oh...and the name is Narcosis lol.

taylor0987

I never said you were wrong about 2000. I don't doubt what is on your car. But I am baffled about why you kept correcting me about 01-04

I am not basing what I said solely on the CD's. As I said in post #6 I am basing it on first hand experience:
I have 99 and 2000 Mustangs right here in my driveway. I have a 2003 engine in my '94, from which I removed the lower intake manifold. I have a 2001 and 2002 engines in my garage. I removed the lower intake manifold from the 2001 and I have the 2002 still whole. I have pulled intakes off of several other v6 Mustangs in the junkyard.

here are pics of the lower intake still on the 2002 engine. Note the lack of coolant temp sensor in the lower intake.

see I talk about 2001-2004

then you correct me based on your 2000
Actually there are Two heat sensors, there is one screwed into the intake manifol, just below the "Log ram" part of the upper manifol,or plenum
then I agree with you about 2000, but say 2001-2004 is different
99-00 has a coolant temperature sensor on the lower intake manifold but we are talking about Narcosis' 2001 v6 Ford Mustang. Please check your facts before posting. 2001-2004 has many changes from 99-00 v6 Mustang. One of those changes is that 2001-2004 DOES NOT have a coolant temperature sensor.
then you tell me I am wrong based on your 2000
I have two. Factory. Both are listed, and have been replaced. get YOUR facts straight.
that's why I wasn't clear about what year you had, I thought maybe you had either gotten a different car and you forgot to update your profile, or you had first hand experience with a 2001.