Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

quick question exhaust related w/ o2 extensions

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by birdman232, Apr 8, 2008.

1. birdman232

birdman232 New Member

quick question, I tried a search...I guess I'm just retarded.

tomorrow i gotta help a friend put on his o/r pypes x pipe and catback, since I have access to a lift, it will make it much easier. However, he didnt get any o2 extensions...Am I going to have to make some/ go out and buy some to make the o2's reach? its an 03 auto/3.8 if it matters.

2. Johnt2k7

Johnt2k7 New Member

just installed one last tuesday the RF o2 sensor isnt long enough to fit and i dont know of any one who makes extenders for the upstream sensors beings they have a diff clip then the down stream 02

the rears you will need extenders for deffinately

i have a sct to disable the mil so no mil elims where needed but if you dont have one or the other the car will go into limp mode and run like **** and get bad gas mileage

and as of right now my RF sensor is screwed in but not connected to the harness the ECU not getting a signal and is just defaulting and looking at the rear 02 for the A/F instead of the upstream so no mil for now and everything seems fine but il have to wait and see and if it becomes a problem il have to make a extender or find some one who sells them

PS: i absolutely hate the way the pypes mufflers sound so i have new mufflers ordered and just waiting for arrival so i can install
    sounds good down at idle and lower rpms, 1500 cruise it resonates and buzzes a lil, and 3250+ sounds like a honda

3. TxStang420

TxStang420 New Member

You can just break those little tabs off the front o2 harnesses to make the extender work FYI....

4. Johnt2k7

Johnt2k7 New Member

well if you do that you still need to order 2 sets of 02s but right now everything is fine so until i get a fault im ok

5. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

It is stupid easy to just splice the wires and make them longer. No need to spend money on pre made extensions.

6. TxStang420

TxStang420 New Member

True, but make sure to splice & extend the engine harness, NOT the o2 sensor wiring harness itself. I believe I remember reading that somewhere on here. :confused:

7. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Either will work, you aren't changing the circuit or outputs, just the length of wire.

8. pdub42

pdub42 New Member

i would extend the o2 sensor wire instead of the engine harness because you can take the sensor out and work on it without being under the car so it makes it much easier. also if you screw something up you only mess up your o2 sensor instead of you engine harness but theres not really much to mess up. only downside i can see to doing this over the engine harness would be that you would have to do it everytime you get new o2 sensors which shouldnt be very often. but like greensteeda said either will work the same once done