Radiohead to allow you to pay whatever you want for new CD(UPDATE! Post 41. SCAM!)

dvon1981

Resident Beer Guy
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/01/radiohead/index.php?lsrc=mwrss

U.K. band Radiohead will let fans choose how much they want to pay for downloads of its next album.

The message “It’s up to you” appears when clicking on a question mark next to the price of a download for their seventh album, “In Rainbows,” due out Oct. 10. The band began accepting pre-orders on its Web site Sunday.

A completed transaction showed the album can be bought for as little as £.01 (US$.02), plus a £.45 charge for using a credit or debit card.

Radiohead has been among the few hold outs — the Beatles included — whose songs are not available for purchase on Apple’s iTunes Music Store, which sells songs in the U.K. for £.79 with DRM (digital rights management) technology and £.99 without DRM. Albums cost an average of £7.99.

For Radiohead, a top-selling act for about 15 years, the decision poses little risk to the band members’ personal fortunes. But it could prove to be an interesting case study in how successful a group can be in compelling fans to shun illegal downloads and pay what they think the band deserves.

Radiohead is also taking advance orders for physical copies of the album to another financial extreme, but stuffing it full of extras to endear fans. The group’s “discbox” for “In Rainbows” will contain a two-record set, a CD of the album as well as an another enhanced CD with other songs, artwork and photographs. It will come in hardback-book style packaging with a slip case. The price is £40, and the set will ship around Dec. 3, the Web site said.

Usefulidiot127

Go Illini
Thats pretty cool, haha.

Radiohead is a pretty awesome band, can't wait to hear the new cd. I've seen them twice live so far.

Usefulidiot127

Go Illini
I can see giving them up to 5 or so bucks maybe for the album. I'll give 3-5 probably.

check this out
Despite the fact that fans can opt to pay essentially nothing, its more than likely that they will choose to pay something of meaning and reward the band for this bold endeavor since all profits go directly to Radiohead and not into the pockets of out of touch record labels. Plus fans will most likely choose to download it directly from the band's site instead of on P2P and file-sharing networks because they will be able to get it faster and at a guaranteed quality bitrate encoding. It suddenly makes piracy look irrelevant. Also, what's interesting to point out is that an artist only makes about $1 USD per each $16.98 USD retail album he sells right now anyways, and I'm certain many will opt to pay at least this much if not more. For all intensive purposes it's actually possible that they will make more money selling "In Rainbows" directly to consumers than they would have otherwise.

The bottom line here is that Radiohead may have finally shown the world once and for all that bypassing record labels is actually possible. It used to be that the artists needed them, for who else was able to manufacture, distribute, market, stock, and sell your CDs. But, now it's the other way around. The music industry is now content-centric, meaning that all you need now is quality music, a PC, and an internet connection. Record labels don't really have that much to offer music artists anymore, and it's this fact that makes their profit grabs all the more distasteful.

Culex

3.8's Polyglot
I can see giving them up to 5 or so bucks maybe for the album. I'll give 3-5 probably.

check this out

Interesting Read. :thumbup: Which is why going to an artists' concerts and buying their merchandise is the best way to support them.

I wonder how record labels will respond to this.

Usefulidiot127

Go Illini
it comes with a ton of stuff though, crazy case copy on cd, another special versions cd. copy on 12" vinyl posters etc, it's basically the superfan package. very smart of them

Yea I'm not dissing the decision. Thats what happens when you release an album without a record company, you release it exactly as you want.

I think there should be a very noticeable discrepency for paying for a bunch of 1's and 0's compared to buying a packaged music item.

Either just get the music you want or get the full package as the band wishes to deliver it. No overpriced middle ground like we have now.

I'm all for contributing what I can to the bands I like, cheating bands that I respect and enjoy out of any money by downloading illegally isn't something I'm a fan of.

dvon1981

Resident Beer Guy
Yea I'm not dissing the decision. Thats what happens when you release an album without a record company, you release it exactly as you want.

I think there should be a very noticeable discrepency for paying for a bunch of 1's and 0's compared to buying a packaged music item.

Either just get the music you want or get the full package as the band wishes to deliver it. No overpriced middle ground like we have now.

I'm all for contributing what I can to the bands I like, cheating bands that I respect and enjoy out of any money by downloading illegally isn't something I'm a fan of.

def agree, such a cool model, it'd be awesome if more bands did that...want to make music better? have people pay what they think you're worth, can't put out shitty music if people won't pay for it. def very cool of them, i hope it works and other bands try it. if it was one of my fav bands i'd happily pay $10 to them, but for some random crap bands i just want to hear once it'd be cool to pay like $2. cuz i mean the alternative is i'd pirate it, so the $2 would be money they wouldn't have seen from me.

Klazer

The cd.. just the cd with 12 - 18 songs is worth 15.99 to - 21.99.. CDs should keep the prices they always had...
Just as much effort and work goes into creating a album/CD as it does to create a pair of jeans or a coffee table.
but because it is so easy to steal people justify not wanting to pay anything for it.
that is really what it comes down to.

dvon1981

Resident Beer Guy
The cd.. just the cd with 12 - 18 songs is worth 15.99 to - 21.99.. CDs should keep the prices they always had...
Just as much effort and work goes into creating a album/CD as it does to create a pair of jeans or a coffee table.
but because it is so easy to steal it people justify not wanting to pay anything for it.
that is really what it comes down to.

where the **** do you get 15.99-21.99? all my music costs 9.99 or less...and that's legitimate new music

Klazer

where the **** do you get 15.99-21.99? all my music costs 9.99 or less...and that's legitimate new music

That price of $9.99 is the result of pirating.
My Point was the last time i bought a cd before pirating was made acceptable and easy for the masses.
cds cost around $15.99.. and people happily paid it out..

$9.99 was onsale wayyy after original release...

dvon1981

Resident Beer Guy
That price of $9.99 is the result of pirating.
My Point was the last time i bought a cd before pirating was made acceptable and easy for the masses.
cds cost around $15.99.. and people happily paid it out..

$9.99 was onsale wayyy after original release...

ooookkkkkkkk then you keep on believing that. 9.99 is clearly the free market price of music. and especially downloads considering there's no shipping or packaging. I can't recall the last time i saw a cd for as much as you put.