rattling coming from T5 (?)

blackenedESP

i'm getting some kind of rattling-type sound from my transmission i believe, or flywheel/clutch. it seems to happen most when i put the car under moderate to heavy load, especially in 5th gear. sometimes i'll hear it if i get off to a rough start going into 1st or 2nd. i'm not 100% sure that's where it's coming from but it sounds like that general area. when i put my T5 in, i did not order bolts for the flywheel, i went to a local hardware shop and got bolts that matched the ones i took off of the flex plate, just a little longer. i also did not get new dowel pins, just kept the ones that came in my used flywheel. i know that was probably a big no-no. just for my own comfort, i would like to get new, proper stuff and put them in. if someone could link me to the right bolts and pins to get, i'd really appreciate it. i have to do something because this is just annoying me, i know something can't be right. i'm just comparing to my friend's '07 Jetta and you don't a peep from her car throughout all gears.

blackpony

i'm getting some kind of rattling-type sound from my transmission i believe, or flywheel/clutch. it seems to happen most when i put the car under moderate to heavy load, especially in 5th gear. sometimes i'll hear it if i get off to a rough start going into 1st or 2nd. i'm not 100% sure that's where it's coming from but it sounds like that general area. when i put my T5 in, i did not order bolts for the flywheel, i went to a local hardware shop and got bolts that matched the ones i took off of the flex plate, just a little longer. i also did not get new dowel pins, just kept the ones that came in my used flywheel. i know that was probably a big no-no. just for my own comfort, i would like to get new, proper stuff and put them in. if someone could link me to the right bolts and pins to get, i'd really appreciate it. i have to do something because this is just annoying me, i know something can't be right. i'm just comparing to my friend's '07 Jetta and you don't a peep from her car throughout all gears.

i have the same problem, i hear the rattling in 1st gear and low in 2nd it goes away once i catch speed in 2nd and all other gears.. and it super annoying.

any imput on what the noise maybe?

matt'sdrag95

For the OP, the dealership or Mustangs Unlimited will have your flywheel and clutch to flywheel bolts.

To both... how many miles do you have on your cars? Are your transmission mounts original?
Worn mounts can cause a noise (you'd notice the shifter bouncing around as well).

blackpony

For the OP, the dealership or Mustangs Unlimited will have your flywheel and clutch to flywheel bolts.

To both... how many miles do you have on your cars? Are your transmission mounts original?
Worn mounts can cause a noise (you'd notice the shifter bouncing around as well).

car has 128k, and i went from auto to man.

mikek99v6

I want to do the same thing lol. The only problem is that the auto is stronger and that's why I still have it so far.

blackenedESP

matt's95drag: my car has about 35,000 miles on it, the T5 has about 43,000 on it. i used the mount that came with the transmission when i did the swap, it looked like it was in good shape. but thinking about it, i don't think it is secure as it could be because i couldn't get one of the bolts to line up properly. so i have 2 bolts on one side, 1 on the other. for whatever reason, the T5 transmission doesn't line up as well as the 4R70W did. my shifter bouncing...i guess is borderline. i'm not sure how much vibration is abnormal, i don't have much experience with these things. my initial thought would be, yeah it does move more than it should. i'm assuming the tranmission mount not being fully secure could be causing that?

when i get some time, i'll get under my car and see if i can maneuver things so it lines up better and i can get everything bolted up. hopefully that'll fix it. then one day when it's a little warmer out and i have time, i'll rip it down and put the proper flywheel bolts and dowel pins in, just for comfort's sake.