Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Realistic RPM Range for Street 3.8L/4.3L V6?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Lonnie-S, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

Realizing that many factors control making useful power in any engine, but assuming for the moment that a person has a 3.8L or 4.3L V6 that produces useful power up to 6,500 RPM, what is a realistic upper RPM limit to maintain reliability (i.e., it does not explode, spin a bearing, etc.) in a street engine?

Assume also when you considering the above question that the engine builder is willing to upgrade the rod bolts, main cap bolts and install a girdle from Super Six, Morana or some similar outfit.

This is more than just speculation. I'm planning transmission and rear axle gear ratios.

Cheers,

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Im no engineer but I'm bored and have nothing else to do at the moment so i figured I'd chime in with nonsense.

Stock rods are $**** in these motors. Id get rods and pistons and thicker piston pins to handle the increased piston speed.

Valve train stability is next on the list. Upgraded springs with higher spring pressure is required. Some speculate that roller rockers are necessary because the stock stamped steel rockers flex. Hardened pushrods are necessary because the stock ones flex and cause instability under high rpm and high spring pressures.

Arp studs on rods and main bearings are also a good idea. I would never build a motor and assemble it with factory bolts. Rod bolts stretch.

But mainly focus on valvetrain stability.