Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Control Arm Bushing Question

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by TheTopGun, Jun 21, 2017.

1. TheTopGun

TheTopGun New Member

So I ordered and installed these rear control arms last year:

SR Performance Complete Rear Mustang Control Arm Kit - Black 389003 (79-04 All, Excludes IRS) - Free Shipping

And sadly you get what you pay for and the bushings have fallen apart.

My problem is I cant find bushings for these generic aftermarket tubular arms anywhere. I would love to throw in some high quality bushings and call it a day, but OEM replacement bushings sold by Energy Suspension and Prothane dont seem to be the same size and also require steel sleeves (maybe Im wrong?).

I have a really good price on some new BBK Control arms. But before I drop over $250 on them, does anyone know of any replacement bushings that will work in these rear control arms?

The car is just a daily driver so I don't care about going fast. And I am on a tight budget.

2. SixPackSurprise

SixPackSurprise My lil Turd

These lasted you about a year? My upper and lower rears are shot. I have a set of these SR Performance arms on the way from American Muscle. I keep reading good reviews on them, but nothing about longevity. It they last me a year, I'll be happy considering the price. That gives me plenty of time to get a set of Lakewoods or BBK's..

3. Serpent

Serpent Active Member

I would contact american muscle and tell them what happened and see about a warranty or replacement bushings at least. I wonder if the lubricant they provide is the issue as you have to be very careful about what lube you use on poly bushings. the wrong one will eat the bushings up quick.

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I wouldn't touch those control arms with a 10 foot pole. The oem upper control arms are deliberately designed to flex. That compliance helps control lateral motion of the axle without introducing bind at the bushings.

Fwiw there 6 years of solid abuse on the poly bushings used in my MM setup. Holding up great.