Rear rotors are being cut into by caliper assembley - HELP

RobertYoung1245

2001 V6 Mustang, 162k miles - I thought I needed to repair brakes on the rear because of obvious grinding noise and damaged rotor surface on driver side. Disassembled both sides an found the passenger side was being cut into also. Both sides had made contact with the caliper assembly! Drivers side damage was on outboard side and passenger side was on inboard side.
Pads were in almost new condition. Thought maybe caliper slides were failing to operate properly so further disassembly and found nothing out of ordinary. Had rotors turned, greased slide pins and re-assembled everything. Checked that rotors were in the middle between caliper faces. Test drove the car and almost immediately heard the grinding. The caliper on the drivers side was cutting into the rotor on the outboard side again and the caliper on the passenger side was cutting into the inboard side of that rotor. It seems the axle itself is moving (?) but I checked it when doing the brakes and they did not seem to have that much play.
Does the whole rear end need rebuilt or just part? Wheel bearings - both sides (?) Whole axle seems to move to the left. could this be a problem with differential?
Any help would sure be appreciated

No accidents - never happened before - checked parking/emergency assembly and cable when repairing rotors. Only non-stock are headlamp assemblies and 20 inch wheels with 245-35-zr tires. When repairing rotors there was so much pad left that pistons had to be screwed back in completely (even after losing a few thou from rotor reface). Today I had someone else drive it slowly while I observed and it seems the hubs are actually going in and out depending on straight or turning.

Last edited:

Jesse01V6

Away from V6's for now........
Car ever been in an accident?

It could also be in the emergency brake assembly, or the calipers might be shot. Did you turn and compress the calipers all the way down when you put everything back together?

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
I want to help.

Could you please post up some pictures? Has this been an ongoing problem, or only recently started? What on your car ins't stock?

RobertYoung1245

Car ever been in an accident?

It could also be in the emergency brake assembly, or the calipers might be shot. Did you turn and compress the calipers all the way down when you put everything back together?
further elaboration to above two posts added to post #1

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
Axle movement is normal and does increase with time. The C-clips that hold the axles will get smaller over time and that allows more movement of the axles in the housing. I don't have a manual with me but a Chiltons or Haynes should have the spec for allowable axle movement. Check with a dial indicator (you may be able to rent one) and that should tell you if you need to replace the C clips. If you do it is a very easy (but messy) procedure.