Removing Timing Chain Cover??

mr_waffles_9

wizwho????...WIZ***G!!
Replacing camshaft....Trying to Remove Timing chain cover. we've gotten all the bolts off but the cover will not budge. also tried heating sealant...The engine did have a water leak

BlueSHO

I don't envy you, those can be a real PITA to get off. :thumbdown: Try whacking it on the sides with a rubber mallet to loosen it. You can also VERY CAREFULLY try to pry under the edges...be careful not to tear up the mating surfaces, or break the cover entirely...the casting is kind of soft and brittle.

mr_waffles_9

wizwho????...WIZ***G!!
haha we've actually already cracked and broke part of the cover...we have a replacement already purchased we just want to get the dang thing off

vertstang232

pick up a haynes manual, when i put in my new cam we didnt have any problems just keep trying and hopefully you can get it off.

taylor0987

it's too late now that you broke it, but in case anyone else has this question, there are a few things that get in the way.

1. the allen or torx headed screw on the lower driver's side. (there is only 1, so not sure why you say "both," maybe you are thinking of #2)
2. bolts that go through the oil pan and into the cover (my 94 engine did not have these but my 2003 engine did. I don't know what year they changed)
3. dowel pins. there are two of them that locate the cover on the block. the cover needs to be pulled straight out from the block until you clear the dowel pins.
4. the cam synchronizer a.k.a. cam position sensor housing *should* be removed. there are people who remove the cover with this in place and have no problem. however some people have broken things when they leave it on (I broke the teeth off of mine...)