Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replaced damaged 4.0 Engine and have problems, help

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Sonnystang, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Sonnystang

Sonnystang New Member

Recently replaced my 4.0 engine in my 2006 Mustang with same size engine from 2007 Mustang. Everything seemed to go fine. Replacement engine started right up and runs great. However, alternator won't charge, radiator cooling fan does not work, and AC doesn't work. Replaced Alt, same thing, direct wired cooling fan and it worked just fine. Battery is fairly new. Had to swap out AC compressor electrical connector to connect to it is the only thing I had to do with 2007 harness.

Battery light is on, check engine light is on, check charging system message is flashing, and transmission OD light is flashing. At one time I could get the Alt to start charging if I revved engine about 2500 RPM's but that stopped working after I cleaned the ground strap between the motor and firewall.

Anyone have any advice? Have cleaned ground connections multiple times. Checked fuses and relays, etc, etc.

2. astamand

astamand New Member

Are you using the ECU from the 06 or the 07? I'm not a Ford ECU expert, but I have seen this behavior before on other makes.

3. Sonnystang

Sonnystang New Member

Using the 2006 ECM. After striking out on everything else I did contact the company I purchased the engine from to see if I could get the ECM. He indicated that it was highly unlikely that the ECM was the problrm. Said 2006 vs 2007 is exactly same, basically plug and play scenario. He referred me to a good mechanic that might be able to scan my car. I called the mechanic and he also told me that it was extremely unlikely that the ECM was the issue. He encouraged me to look for bad connections, maybe something not plugged in or plugged in wrong, ground connections. Said he could fix it, just couldn't tell me how long and encouraged me to continue looking for the problem before spending money to have someone else fix it. The guy seemed very knowledgeable and seemed to really want to help.

4. astamand

astamand New Member

It's good that you confirmed the compatibility. I agree with the mechanic that the next most likely culprit is the wiring. One wire, even a bad ground can ruin your weekend. I'm sure you'll get it.sorted.soon. Good luck

5. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Using a multimeter and wiring diagrams will allow you to directly identify wiring faults. However it may be much easier to check all the recently disturbed connections. Clean rust and paint off of the grounds.

6. canisitnx2ugurl

canisitnx2ugurl Member

What will work to do the testing is a load drop series or test. Or you could a jumper cable with a good camp. And ground the engine to the chassis, if it alters your reference volts a common ground from engine to chassis was missed in the engine swap

7. MirageII

MirageII Member

I would check again. There are several versions of the same ECU used on each model year of Mustang. There are 3 different ones used on my '05 that I know of. (They all share the same base part number) I don't know exactly what the differences may be, but I'd try to find out the version number of the '06 ECU and check it against the '07 version. Maybe you can find an ECU repair or tuning shop that may be able to help you. Yes, it could be a wiring isuue, and I would verify the wiring while trying to track down the ECU.

If you have already found the problem, (I just realized the age of this thread) perhaps you could post the solution to help somebody else that runs into the same type of problem.

Best of luck!

8. Sonnystang

Sonnystang New Member

Well, I'm still at it. Long weekend given the holidays so I spent some quality time on the project. I finally found an issue with the plug/wiring going into fuse box under the hood. Pass side front. There are 13 wires on the 06 and 12 on the 07 engine I put in. Also some of wires are different locations. See attached pictures.

This has to be a problem. Any suggestions on how best to correct this? Really don't want to swap out harness's. Hoping I can just relocate wires and figure our which one is missing and what it's for.

2006 Mustang.jpg 2007 Mustang .jpg Really appreciate all the feedback so far.

9. MirageII

MirageII Member

This can probably be done, but you're going to need a lot of patience and a really accurate schematic. The way you do it is basically lay out the harness (existing one, the 06 I believe) and plug the connectors into the device (say upper O2 sensor Bank1 for example) then check the schematic and follow every wire to ensure that the wire from pin one on the sensor connector goes to the appropriate connector location on the PCM end. It will be tedious. It will make you pull your hair out. But if you want it done right, that's what you will have to do. Now some things may be identical from one year to the next, hopefully a lot of things are, but from what your pictures are showing me the PCM connector locations may be totally different. So just be carefull, take your time.

I wish you the best of luck. (Remember, comuters were going to make our lives simpler, aloow us more free time, yada, yada, yada. :)
    Happy New Year!

10. MirageII

MirageII Member

That should have been "Computers were going to make our lives simpler, allow us more free time, yada, yada, yada...."

11. Sonnystang

Sonnystang New Member

Update. Well I bit the bullet and swapped out the 2007 harness with the 2006 wiring harness. Not an easy task having to do this with engine and tranny in the car. Started right up with no issues whatsoever. Charging fine, AC works, radiator cooling fan works.

Should have went with my original instincts to change harnesses when I replaced the engine, would have taken a couple hours at the most. In the car cost me 8 hours and a few busted knuckles. Tranny wiring was the worse part.

Appreciate all you efforts and for listening.

Phil II likes this.
  12. MirageII

MirageII Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end.