1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Water Pump

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by nghtshd88, Apr 5, 2010.

1. nghtshd88

nghtshd88 New Member

My water pump is taking a dump on me and I wanted to know if theres anything I should know before changing it? I know it looks simple but I never did one before so just wnat to be sure.

2. 04Mustangdude

04Mustangdude New Member

Drain the coolant, loosen the water pump pulley bolts with the belt still on, remove the belt, continue taking off the pulley. Pull the old pump off, plug the coolant passages to the engine, remove old gasket, put new gasket on with some sealant, bolt water pump back onto engine using specified torque, put the hoses back on. Fill up radiator with new coolant, bleed the cooling system. Replace the belt, and pulley, start engine up and check for leaks. That's basically it.

3. Breakthrough

Breakthrough New Member

Sorry if this is a simple question/task, but how does one go about bleeding the coolant system? I've done some auto work, but I never had to bleed a rad...

4. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr New Member

Bleeding the system is relatively easy, remove the air bleed plug and slowly fill the radiator until the coolant bubbles up from the hole. Also, I always raise the front of the car as high as I can to get the opening to the radiator as high as possible so the air will bleed out easier.

Also, on the water pump R&R, be careful to make sure the bypass tube o-ring slips in without scuffing it, I put a little RTV around the o-ring on mine too. Acts as a lube to slide it in and helps seal it.

5. nghtshd88

nghtshd88 New Member

The air bubbles is the main reason I asked.

What did you plug the holes with?

6. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr New Member

Maybe I am not following you but you plug the air bleed hole with the plug you took out of it.

The air bleed is up top, next to the water outlet, it has a tube on one side and a hose on the other with a threaded plug on top.

7. 963.8

963.8 Retarded User

Are the accesories mounted differently on the 99-04 than 94-98?

8. SeanStang

SeanStang Bottle Fed V6

When you go to the parts store for the new water pump and gasket, go ahead and rent the power steering pulley remover. You'll need a tool to remove the PS pulley in order to fully remove the water pump. Other than that its a pretty straight swap.

9. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr New Member

I'd sure pull the studs out of the front of the block before I'd ever pull the pulley off the p/s pump, tons easier to do.

10. 963.8

963.8 Retarded User

You really can't on mine. The bracket that holds the power steering pump is bolted on with the water pump bolts. So you have to remove the pulley to get the bracket off.

11. SeanStang

SeanStang Bottle Fed V6

There is no easy way around it... Two of the bolts that you need to remove in order to take off the water pump are also holding on the PS brace which you can't take off without removing the PS pulley.

Yeah same design on the split ports too.

12. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr New Member

I wouldn't take the bracket off. Once the studs are out then you can get a bar behind the bracket and move it out just enough to get the pump out.

But each to his own. If you guys want to do all that extra work and take the chance of not getting the pulley pressed back on right then go ahead. But I would never do it that way.

13. nghtshd88

nghtshd88 New Member

I ment the passages in the motor. Ok so you took the studs out also.

14. nghtshd88

nghtshd88 New Member

How are you taking the studs out without removing the bracket??

15. 96StAnG3.8

96StAnG3.8 " Is that a 302?" LMAO

You HAVE to remove the powersteering pully because of that stupid bracket.If you dont and try to use a prybar,it might break.That crap is made of some kinda plastic and its not metal so il break/crack VERY easily....I think to rent that tool it was like 50 bucks.