Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rocker arm rethread question

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by tyrone kendrick, Apr 19, 2017.

1. tyrone kendrick

tyrone kendrick 2000 v6 mustang stock everything under the hood

I stripped the holes for one of the rocker arms. They were 5/16 and I redrilled to 3/8. Now the screw will not fit threw the rocker arm hole to be screwed to the block. Am I ****ed? The rocker is strong ass metal

2. ProjectVicky

ProjectVicky Wrench Monkey

Wait, so what part is stripped? The engine head hole or the hole on the rocker that the bolt goes through? When you say the screw won't fit, do you mean the hole is now a wider diameter than the screw?

3. tyrone kendrick

The hole in the block was stripped so I rethread it to 3/8. Now the bolt hole that sits on the rocker arm to the block, is too small to get the new 3/8 screw through. Hope you understand.

4. tyrone kendrick

You know the little square thing that has - marks on it

5. ProjectVicky

ProjectVicky Wrench Monkey

I see. . . I would recommend checking a yard for that side head. In my experience, you could find a way to make the one rocker work, but the normal wear and tear on that piece could be different than the other stock rocker arms, and could cause problems later on that can also damage the rest of the engine (like metal shavings, a potential locked rocker arm/pushrod, or by drilling a larger hole in the rocker it could ruin the strength of that rocker). I had a chevy 350 I bought from a craigslist ad, and the guy tried to make things work like that (multiple sizes of rocker arms or multiple strengths), and it ended in half the rods being bent, and two arms with rods pushed THROUGH them. The bent rods left deep scratches on the crankshaft and the bent rods ruined the rod sleeves. If you look in a yard for the right head, make sure it matches the style of your year. I think all the 3.8 Mustang heads are the same. If not, then look for 99-03 Mustang heads. It's probably best to spend the money on a used head than risk the damage later on to the entire engine.
    If you felt like risking it, you could get a bolt with 3/8ths on the bottom and 5/16ths on the top (there's no head on the bolt, but in its place is usually a star or hex fitment to fasten it) then place the rocker arm over it, then hold it down with a nut. But the nut could eventually work its way off.