Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rookie from Summerville, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lola1977, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Lola1977

Lola1977 Member

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone and I am very excited to be here to learn more about options for performance & appearance for my 2012 V6.

2. Lemac

Lemac New Member

hello i'm new here to, but have been modding cars for a few years now. Any questions just ask if I cant answer I'll let ya know, but I'm sure someone else can. I try to give good advise and not steer someone down a sketchy road just to look cool. we are all here to share in our experience with what we all have in common..... MUSTANGS!!!!!!!! lol

Lola1977 likes this.
  3. Lola1977

Lola1977 Member

That is right!!!!!!! Mustang runs in the family here. I guess my very first question would be, on how to modify when?

Sort of like a sequence, what do you start with? The goal is to be some what competitive with the "BIG V8" brothers in every day driving conditions. The traffic light can be very tempting.

And then of course parts, what brands? How much you should pay? What websites offer the best value etc. I chose my 2012 V6 manual, because I like the nostalgic appearance on it and it delivered a surprisingly good punch while test driving it, so I was sold over the V8.

Well, I am excited to be here and learn from everyone's experience.

4. Lemac

Lemac New Member

well in order to run with the v8 cars they have to be close to stock as possible. I have full exhaust headers, x-pipe, and magnaflow knockoff axle back mufflers along with 3:73 fms gears with a 91 performance bama tune suspension and a few aluminum parts and have ran even with a few challanger srt8's up to top of 3rd. The order in which to do the mods is entirely up to you and what you want. I think for the most seat of the pants feel I would start with gears first, but you will need to correct the speedo with a tuner or the dealer can do it up to a 3:31 gear if you choose a 3:55, 3:73 and up I heard that the dealers wont do it. Good tires will be in order once you start adding parts. I had the 19" track pack wheels from the gt on with 255 michelin pilot ss and they would spin almost all of second gear like i was on water, they where getting low on tread I would have to admit so I switched to hankook ventus v12 (price for the pilot's in that size cost some paper) with 285's in the rear 255's up front and they hook pretty good, well good enough for a 30 series 20" tire. As far as parts I bought mine a 50 to 50 ratio from american muscle and craigslist. Some deals on craigslist saved me hundreds of dollars. I've read lots of reviews before making certain purchases just to see what others have used and how the quality is and so on. Well I'm heading out this morning, but hope this info will suffice for now. have a good one

Lola1977 likes this.
  5. Feyd

Feyd Member

The 3 faults of this car as I see them are the transmission and driveshaft which are both junk and the 2.73 rear gear which isn't a quality issue it just takes the engine forever to rev and get in the power band. I just ordered the MGW race spec shifter and am praying this will solve that problem because swapping fluid to Redline MTL did very little. If the shifter and probably another fluid change make enough of a difference its on to the next problem with a one piece aluminum driveshaft. I want to do 3.73 gears at the same time and a tune will be required so with the new driveshaft I will feel safe with eliminating the governor.

6. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I really enjoy my mgw, though its a different application.

7. Feyd

Feyd Member

I swapped to the recommended Motorcraft Dual Clutch and it made a noticeable difference. I only got stopped going to 2nd once but it was still chunky.

I recently installed an MGW Race Spec shifter and I'm loving it. The springs are much stiffer and it takes effort to push down for reverse. If you tend to drive with your hand on the shift knob you will notice it vibrates more but that's a bad habit you should shake anyway ;) Sometimes there is still the slightest resistance to 2nd so I will most likely add the XL-18, MT-82 Transmission Additive even though it is apparently no longer recommended as the only possible downside I can dig up is that some additives with high sulfur contend eat brass. The additive does not have a lot of sulfur. Or so I read. So when I have time I am adding it as I already have it.

So at this point the transmission is acceptable and the shifter is incredible and I don't have to save up $5,500 plus labor to install the T56 and I can move toward getting an aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 rear gear.

8. Lemac

Lemac New Member

you'll love that gear set. I was sceptical at first, but glad I did it.