Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SCCA at Carolina Motorsport Park

Discussion in 'Racing Forum' started by Phil II, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

This past weekend SCCA-SCR hosted some club racing at CMP. I was there working corners and partaking the evening river of beer. Specifically this one is called the Buck Muse Memorial, happens annually, and features a lot of club racing and some wings & things. All the cars are pretty neat, but I am very biased towards two ITS mustangs, one of which is Ron Earp's.

Saturday morning was wet, so most of practice and qualifying was done on wet tires. Most drivers were more conservative. I was at station 7, watching the back stretch. Here's a few pictures and a video of what it looked like.

The red ITS mustang
    [​IMG]

Water kicked up by the aero on the winged cars. I have a video but cannot embed from photobucket.
    [​IMG]

Thankfully conditions improved after lunch. The rain would lightly douse the track intermittently. It was little enough that everyone ran the dry tires.

This was a bad-ass gt1 mustang (has very little in common with a street car)
    [​IMG]

The other ITS mustang working through traffic
    [​IMG]

On Sunday the weather was cold, very windy, and very dry. That was great for racing, except I was kind of chilled working at corner 3. Station 3 is a great spot, saw a lot of action happening at turns 1, 2, 3 and into 4. Unfortunately my camera wasn't really up to the task of short range photos.

One of the prototype cars
    [​IMG]

The GT1 Sn95 leaving turn 3
    [​IMG]

Attack of the pack, pinata miata!
    [​IMG]

This is Ron Earp's on-board video from the weekend:

In all I had a blast. If road racing has some interest to you seek out your local SCCA or NASA members and they'll point you to the rabbit hole.

Duggie likes this.
  2. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

I frequently watch Ron Earp's videos that he puts up, he's the one that put the ls1 in his mustang right? I forget.

3. Phil II

No. Ron and his friend Jeff G both run sn95's with single port v6s in the ITS class, a part of the improved touring section of SCCA club racing.

Like most of the SCCA classes, ITS does not permit motor swaps. Changes to the car are very limited. The engines can have a half point of compression increased, minor port matching one inch into the heads, no bowl work, stock cam or duplicates of stock cams, and the motor must otherwise comply with Ford manufacturing specifications. They built their engines with total seal rings and specially cut their valve seats. The exhaust headers are custom made to improve scavenging. I think they're the second best sounding cars in the ITS field. There is a TR8 with an angry v8 that sounds better, but his brakes are terrible.

Ron's build thread.

4. Markstang

ah, that was a different guy's thread I was reading then, I just forgot who was who. Those v6s sure sound nice.

5. Phil II

Can you share a link to this project?

6. Markstang

No, it was a long time ago that I read of it. I have no idea where it would be.