Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seafoam Question

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dannyvee333, Nov 20, 2017.

1. dannyvee333

dannyvee333 Member

Hi, I have a 94 Mustang, 3.8L, manual transmission. I had an issue where it would surge occasionally and it had a ticking/diesel sound. I ran SeaFoam through the crankcase, the Vacuum line, and the fuel tank, as prescribed. I drove about 250miles; right about when I was planning to change the oil. Then, the engine started making a "grinding" noise. I cannot pinpoint the sound, I will get under the car later and listen. SO, I changed the oil and filled it up with Synthetic oil. After that, the grinding sound stopped after about 5 mi. of driving, but about 10 miles after that, the sound came back.

It almost sounds like something is rubbing on the flywheel, as it quiets down when I push the clutch a little bit. I changed the clutch about 4-5 years ago. When I am driving, there is no effect on the vehicle's performance. It runs better actually, a lot smoother, but that grinding sound is kind of loud...moreso when you are sitting inside the car than standing outside of it.

Here are my thoughts of what it could be:
    1. The pilot bushing came out of position and is making the sound. I don't have any issues changing gears. One thing to note about this, just prior to the sound starting, the clutch became a lot easier to push for a few days. The firmness has come back though.
    2. There are sediments in the engine that are causing the grinding noise and the car will require another oil change soon.

Has anyone had similar experiences, or have an idea what could be causing the sound?

2. dannyvee333

dannyvee333 Member

Update:
    I drove around for lunch yesterday. Living in Santa Fe I rarely get passed 4th gear. I opened it up to fifth gear. The sound stopped. However, when I was leaving work yesterday, my car was making the sound again, even worse. It appears to be the throw out bearing. I got to my apartment, but when I left to run an errand, I could barely shift. The clutch barely moves when I press on it. Should I change the fork along with the bearing? I changed the clutch about 5 years ago. The clutch kit didn't have a release bearing in it so I used the old one since I couldn't wait a couple of days for a new one to come in. I forgot about it.

The SeaFoam worked great.