Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seem to have a little bit of a problem...

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Samuel Barton, May 16, 2019.

1. Samuel Barton

Samuel Barton New Member

Got a p0340 code on a 98 mustang I just bought. Thought.. "hey no problem I'll just throw in a new sensor and voila", but then I saw this when taking off the old sensor and now I've realized the synchronizor is destroyed. Is there any way to re align this without taking it to an actual mechanic? 20190516_204802.jpg 20190516_202602.jpg all the broken pieces of metal and dust from it grinding around in there.

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Yes--first pull out the entire sensor. Then, remove all sparkplugs. on the front cylinder, passenger side, rotate the crank into the compression stroke where the piston is at the top (maybe using a screw driver in the spark plug hole to gently feel the top). Then, install the new shaft to where with the the open window is located at the 7 o'clock position and the rotating center shaft with standing up tab is located into the center of that window.

There will be a bolt and flat washer clamping down the the sensor that must be removed in order to pull the sensor up and out of the block.