Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seriously, help please!! 99-04 Water Pump

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by SatinSilver2000, Sep 21, 2005.

1. SatinSilver2000

SatinSilver2000 Ni-San-Ni

Hi there,

Has anybody else had their factory water pump fail on them? Mine started leaking really badly, and I need to replace it.

How hard it is it to do on the 99+ 3.8L's? It looks like I have to loosen the belt, and take off one of the pulleys since this black support thing is attaching it to the waterpump.

I am wondering if I would be able to do this myself, what I would need to do it (pulley puller etc? air tools?) and about how long it would take me to do.
    It's been a few weeks since I've driven my poor Mustang and I want to get it back on the road as soon as possible.

Anyways, help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -Kristie

2. hitmankb

hitmankb King

Sup Kristie! I had my water pump fail on me before the summer began! I was gonna swap it out my self, but I had a shop do it instead! Also when you swap the water pumps you should replace the upper and lower radiator hoses as well, unless youre certian their good! My bad hoses caused my water pump to go out. For the record, this happened on my 96 not my 99! but the process should be the same! Sorry I couldnt be of more use to you, but I DIDNT do it my self! No space where I live... Catch you later!

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

You could do it yourself. I recommend getting a Chilton or Haynes manual and it will step you right through it.

Just take you time and make sure you have the right tools.

4. SatinSilver2000

The most reasonable shop in town wants $300 to do it, and they wanted like $200 for the pump itself, for 'labor and product warantee'... personally I think they broke it when I had them do the passenger side header-- it wasn't leaking till after I got it back from them. And I think that $500 for a waterpump sounds a bit too high. For that price, maybe I'll just buy the tools and do it myself--if it's not too difficult and I don't need air tools.

Hitman, how much did the shop charge you for the waterpump?

-Kristie

5. TR2002

TR2002 One at a time ladies.....

Do it yourself.

Its so easy i giggle at the thought of anyone paying a shop to swap a water pump on any mustang.

Its as simple as taking the belt off. Draining some coolant. removing a couple hoses and take a few bolts out.

Do it yourslef for the price of the pump. Like 80$

6. chrismullins99

chrismullins99 New Member

its not that easy, u have to take off the bracket thats behind the power steering pulley, so u will also have to get a remover to take that pulley off

7. hitmankb

hitmankb King

I believe it was right under 300, including parts (hoses,gaskets,thermostat) and labor!!! I took it to pepboys for a cooling system diagnostic where they run a trace dye through the cooling system to see where its malfunctioning, I had a leak comming form the water pump. They quoted me about 300, I then took it to a local repair shop and asked them for a quote to replace my water pump and the figure was a little less(without them knowing I went to pepboys), so I figured that since they were around the same I wasnt gettin screwed! 300 for labor is way too much K, personally I think theyre trying to take advantage of you because youre a lady! Im glad you came to us first!! It should take a shop about an hour to an hour and a half to swap the pumps and test it! thats about how long I waited. Most shop labor rates out here in LA that Ive seen are between 80-90 dollars an hour. So I guess that shop is trying to charge you 300/hour! Can you have your dad or boyfriend take it to another shop for a quote?

Heres a link to the prices on pumps:
    Kragen
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=54&searchfor=Water+Pump&ptset=A
    Autozone
    http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke...Auto+Store|~REGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP|~WATER+PUMP

8. SatinSilver2000

That's what I was concerned about... How difficult is it to get that bracket off, and how would I go about removing the pulley from the power steering pump??

My dad's in Japan, so I can't exactly have him take a look at it. I'll give it my best try, though! I guess I'll have more tools to add to my small collection when I'm done!

Thanks!
    -Kristie

9. 94sexystang

94sexystang That's what she said

Its easy, anyone can do it....its by no means difficult....

1.) Take belt off
    2.) Drain coolant
    3.)Removed Upper and Lower radiator hose
    4.) Remove all the bolts holding the water pump on
    5.) Remove metal hose sealed at top of water pump
    6.) Remove water pump
    7.) Take off pulley

I didnt use a pulley puller tool when I did mine....I believe we just held the water pump in place with a vice, and either beat it with a hammer till it came off, or used a wrench...i cant remember how it comes off...but it wasnt that hard.

I think I got my waterpump for like $60 or 80 at Autozone, put the pulley on and installed it.

Make sure you seal the waterpump VERY VERY well, because mine is slightly starting to drip about 4 months after the install, and I sealed it pretty damn tight....so that should give you an idea.

PM me if you want the process in a very detailed manor, I have the Ford mustang manual on CD, so it has alot more than the books do.

10. SatinSilver2000

My waterpump has the power steering bracket bolted to it, that's what I imagine I would need a pulley puller, unless I can simply swing the powersteering bracket up and out of the way, otherwise there wouldn't be a way to remove the waterpump without first removing the power steering bracket... at least that's what the guys at the shop told me they would have to do, and that's what it looks like I would have to do...Yes, could you please send me a PM with that info, that'd be great!

Thanks!
    -Kristie

11. TR2002

you can get the water pump off without taking that brack off completely. I did. If it gives you a fit. Just cut the bolt hols on the bracket so you can slide the water pump out. When you bolt the bracket back down, as long as there is torque on the bracket it wont move. Trust me iv done it.

12. SatinSilver2000

Cut out the sides of the bolt holes on the bracket? What would I use to cut thick metal like that?

-Kristie

13. TR2002

yeah. Just cut it so you can slide the water pump out so the studs on the pump clear the bracket holes.

Dremel+ cutoff wheels will work well to cut the bracket.

Heres a rough photo visual of the cuts you should make.

Notice how the bolts will still hold torque onto the bracket even with the cuts made. There will be NO movement allowed.

Or you can simply go to the parts store and get a 20$ power steering pulley remover and take the pulley off.

Its up to you. $20 tool, or free mod to bracket. Your choice. Both are easy to do.

Attached Files:

14. SatinSilver2000

Hi guys!

I'm in the middle of my waterpump install, and I've almost totally removed the old waterpump, but it's still attached to that black tube that comes out of the top of it (I think it's a heater pipe), and although I removed the one bolt that was holding it in, it just does NOT want to come out! Is it just very stubborn, or is there a special method I'm supposed to use?

Please let me know ASAP!!!
    Thanks!
    -Kristie

15. robj-97

robj-97 New Member

If you have all the bolts out you may be able to wiggle the pump down. If it's factory it'll be coroded and may be tight. There is an O-ring seal in there. Otherwise there is a bolt on the back of the intake that holds the pipe down in the back. It'd be nice if Ford put a small hose there like everyone else.

16. SatinSilver2000

Hmm.. I'm betting it's corroded. It's stuck on there pretty tight. I hope I can get it off by standing on it or something, but I don't weigh very much, lol.

-Kristie

17. robj-97

robj-97 New Member

:)

I think you are just kidding. If you bend or colapse that pipe I think you have to pull the intake (upper) to replace it. It has another bend in the back. I think it runs to the heater.

Wiggle sideways to try and free it up. Let us know how it turns out. Oh and after take some steel wool to the pipe to smooth it up if needed.

18. chrismullins99

chrismullins99 New Member

just use a long screwdriver and use it as a lever and pry up on the hard hose, it will pop out eventually

19. TR2002

I PM'd you back, but ill post for all to read.

Get a hammer and support the heater tube with a rag and hit that water pump housing in a down direction. This will get that tube out of there. You can also hit the tube base where it enters the water pump with some WD40 and let that seep in there to dislodge some of that corrosion.

Good luck.