Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shelby gt500 news-lil update

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by nemesis, Dec 4, 2005.

1. fastmustangs1

fastmustangs1 The Unicorned Handler

Well true that. It should be faster than the older 03-04 cobras.

2. Ohio232Stang

Ohio232Stang KeyBoard Cowboy

What I really think is they should have put their concept V10 in it:D you know the engine thats in the shelby concept car just imagine what it would be like if they threw one of the roots blowers on that thing.:crazy: people would go nuts

3. nemesis

nemesis 2nd to none

its already a fat pig,adding that much more weight would make it an rhino

4. Ohio232Stang

Ohio232Stang KeyBoard Cowboy

:lol: :lol:
    lol

5. mikest1989

mikest1989 Lives with Mom and Dad

i never will like the 05-06-07 BS. Yea, ford was great back in the day but its pathedic that they have to go back into the past to get more customers. they need to think of the future. The next mustang better look more like a sn-95 than this crap. If ford doesnt get rid of this retro Pu$$y bullshit. when i start making real money after college im going to be driving a Z06.

6. Boogie

Boogie Hoot Hoot?

Yea The power is gimped, considering the new Challengers and Camaro's will have horsepower number north of 400.
    The base GT better get a bump to stay in competetion!

The reason the GT500 wasnt faster is because the designers (that korean dude from svt) wanted to keep space in power between it and the GT (supercar)
    there was hope since the GT(supercar) was going out of production in the next year that they would up the HP of the Shelby over 500, but sadly it's not.
    I love the idea and the look, but the power should be better for the money in my opinion, just considering what will come out in the next year from Chevy and Dodge.

7. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 New Member

Wow,

The 04 Cobra coupe was 3665 pounds. The 04 cobra vert was 3780.
    The 05 GT 3520 pounds...

The new mustang is pig heavy? Didn't seem to effect the 03/04 cobras or 4th gen F-bodys.

I don't care what anyone says. The gt 500 is going to be THE mustang to own. It will blow the doors off stock 03 cobras from a dig. It has the frame and suspension to handle the power. This thing will not be breaking half-shafts or have major wheel hop problems. They are claiming 475 HP now? I bet you that number is going to go up once someone manages to sneak one onto the dyno before the release like what happened with the Ford GT.

8. Boogie

Boogie Hoot Hoot?

Maby, That's what the rumors are.
    I hope that's true!!!
    cuz I know 475hp is not anything to be called weak, but they could do better, and if they can do better...THEY SHOULD!!!

9. Mustangered

Mustangered New Member

they need closer to 600hp to compete..

10. StealthCobra

StealthCobra Fuel Slut

Compete with what? :confused:
    Theyre going to be very good competition if your referring to the camaro, challenger etc.. It has a 5.4L Supercharged... AKA Its going to take boltons to get 600.
    Think about it with a Wipple and a shot of n2o. :eek:
    Plus 05+ parts are already becoming very easy to get a hold of. The aftermarket is going to blow up once it comes out.

11. nemesis

nemesis 2nd to none

i only see all stock 05s and up:wtf:

12. StealthCobra

StealthCobra Fuel Slut

Maybe because your living in afghanistan. :idea:
    I have seen lots of modded ones up here in Colorado even and there isnt even a car scene up here. BTW, I didnt mean everyone is modding them, I meant you can find lots of aftermarket parts for them already.

13. Goin2shock

Goin2shock _________________________

Twin Screw+tune+100 shot=700ish HP, the car will be sick with very little added to it.:cool:

One of my main issues of the GT500 is the drop of SVT from the name.:thumbdown:

14. Boogie

Boogie Hoot Hoot?

here's the problem...
    The GT500 isn't competing with the Challenger and the Camaro, the GT is. and the GT is very gimped compared to the 2 in terms of power and what not if they keep their numbers close to prototypes (camaro seems like it'll change a lot but the challenger looks ready for the road)
    I love the new mustang better than those 2, im notta dodge guy, and if the camaro wasnt so ugly i might like it lol.
    but as for the mustang, 300hp might need to jump a bit for competetion when these new muscles come out

15. lucas

lucas soft tacos= lazy burritos

here the shelby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is what i want
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are nice too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. StealthCobra

StealthCobra Fuel Slut

That lightning looks ****ing badass! I gotta say it looks (in everyway) way better than the 2nd Gen Ls and they even were really badass looking imo.
    Damnit ford. :mad:

17. Desdenova10

Desdenova10 Well-Known Member

concepts never make it to real world.... :disgust:

how dissapointing of a car the new cobra looks like...there is absolutely NOTHING mean, special or andy sexiness to this new shelby. :thumbdown:

18. Ooomph

Ooomph New Member

That's not exactly what happened with the GT. Motor-Trend did a comparo between an '03 Dodge Viper SRT10 ($82k) and an '04 Ford GT ($130k+) and the Viper beat it in every speed category with the exception of top-speed. That's when Ford went back & upped the horsepower to create a discernable performance measurement commensurate with the $50k price differential.

It was a great move for Ford as the GT became not only another global supercar (again), but also because the move was not anticipated by GM and the Z06 (already in pre-production whitepaper development) was not able to trump the GT on the American horsepower battlefield. SCORE: Blue-Oval 1, GM & Dodge nil.

As for the new GT500, it'll fit its niche just fine. A $40k-$50k, somewhat exclusive, hi-performance musclecar, that'll be more than able to compete (straightline-wise) with $50k+ C6's, $60k E90 M3's (the new 400hp-V8 coming soon), the new $60k 415hp AWD Audi S4's. And shouldn't have any problems whatsoever with the Chargers [email protected]>3600lbs. , GTO's and, more than likely, the new Camaro.

Truthfully, I think the biggest threat pricewise to the GT500 will come from within, the 300hp Mustang GT with a turbo-kit. The Dodges, although modifiable, have a very limited aftermarket following making them somewhat expensive to mod. Trust me, I paid $5k for my headers w/ the install ($3800 + $1200). The GM's (C6 & Z06) on the other hand, are very highly tuned from the factory. The compression ratio is like 11:1 already (Z06). I wouldn't expect to see very many do-it-yourself-ers throwing on a supercharger or turbo-kit without thinking about changing the heads or bottom-end to lower the compression ratio first. Maybe headers, intakes and gearing before anything major. Just my two-cents.