Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shortage in My dash for the Lights?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Doc_G, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Doc_G

Doc_G Well-Known Member

ok so I get pulled over the other day and the cop says i got no tail lights. He's pretty cool about it and follows me to work so no one rearends me. (turns out i live across the breezeway from his sister and see's me all the time) I go to change my bulbs today (after checking all my fuzes) and as im having my wife do the things in the car so i can see if they work (pumps brakes, turns blinkers on etc.) She pulls the headlight switch and i notice that the tail lights dont come on. I tell her to turn em off and turn em back on... I notice as she pushes the light switch back in that the tail lights flicker for a brief second. As it turns out i do have tail lights... but theres some kind of short or something in the switch i have to pull the switch all the way out and push the switch back in ever so much to get the dash lights and tail lights to work. WTH??

anyone got any suggestions how this is fixed? I mean do i need to replace the switch or what? I own a 95 v6 if it helps.

btw I made a new sig... sexi huh'

2. 2KSTANGFIRE

2KSTANGFIRE New Member

Sounds like either the switch has a bad plug connection, or you need a new switch. Either way you got to pull it out and take a look.

3. Doc_G

Doc_G Well-Known Member

hmmm... anything specific i should be looking for either way?

4. dbaisley

dbaisley New Member

i had he same problem. cop pulled me over in front of my apartment and he said i had no tailights. so the next day i went and bought the new switch. that didnt work either. now im confused. i drive with my hazards on at night and that sucks. somebody told me that their could be wires touching behind the dash:confused:

5. 1SLOSN95

1SLOSN95 New Member

my car does the same thing accept mine go out when i hit 90mph it pisses me off so i carry fuses with me evry where i go because it like abombs the damn fuses

6. Doc_G

Doc_G Well-Known Member

thats the thing though i dont blow fuses or anything... I will be pulling the switch out this weekend to get a look at whats going on. Will keep ya updated.

as a general question.. do i just pull the knob off or does it unscrew or what?

(headlight knob that is)

7. BigEZ

BigEZ Between two ferns

just pull it off it should come off somewhat easily

8. dbaisley

dbaisley New Member

no you need like a little tweezer or pin to depress the knob. there is like a small triangular object that holds it in place. be careful not to lose it

9. Fastback03

Fastback03 New Member

Did you ever figure this problem out. Because mine is doing the same exact thing and its pissin me off iv exhausted all of my resources to figure this out?