Sixpackstang's Official Split Port Swap Post

RED94

New Member
I'm doing the 99v6 into my 94. Can anyone tell me what mods need to be done to the fuel rail? I have both 94 & 99 rails. Can the 99 pressure reg. be used ( chrome onethat is just past the connector & do I use the old 94 return line with what looks like a vacuum controlled reg. as well as the 99 chrome one? Does anyone have a modified one they want to sell?
While I'm at it, I am thinking about installing 1.6 or 1.7? rockers. What increase in HP should I expect? Anyone have a used set of roller rockers? I imagine I would have to have a custom chip made up for the computer? This is my first post as a new member.
 

SteveC

Well-Known Member
The 99+ rail does not have a pressure regulator. It has a sending unit that goes to EEC that changes the voltage to the 99+ pump. And the pressure regulator from a 94-98 will not work on the 99+ rail.

I make custom fuel rails for split port swaps... email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

It is recommended to get a chip...
 

taylor0987

New Member
RED94 said:
While I'm at it, I am thinking about installing 1.6 or 1.7? rockers. What increase in HP should I expect?
1.6 would probably make you lose HP because stock is 1.73. You would want either 1.73 and 1.8 rollers.
 

RED94

New Member
I'm a do it yourselfer so am still looking for info on how to modify my 99 fuel rail to fit the 94 fuel/return lines. What regulator do i need? Can I just cut return line from 94 rail, add a reg. & weld it onto the 99 rail? Detailed info. would be much appreciated.
 

sixpackstang

New Member
I'm sorry I can't help out much with the topic of the fuel rail, I bought mine already modified. I think you have the basic idea down with the return line. My rail I bought I was able to take the fuel pressure regulator off my 97 and use it on the modified one. I think they cut and welded the return line on, but not 100% sure how/where to put it so that it works right.

Hopefully SteveC will chime in on this one. Or better yet just PM him and ask him.
 

sixpackstang

New Member
bluetuesday13 said:
what modifications need to be made to a 2002 intake (upper + lower) besides the imrc's?
You will need to get two holes drilled/tapped for temp sensors on the lower intake. I'll try and get some pics of where to tap them.

The easiest way to go about doing this is to have holes drilled and tapped into the lower intake that you can screw the sensors into. I believe the tap you will need for this is a "plumbing" or "tapered" 5/8" tap. Double check before you tap it though, your tap should screw into the temp sensor holes from your old intake no problem.

If I were you I would try and get a 99-00 upper/lower. The lower will only need one hole tapped for temp sensor and the upper you will be able to mount your coil pack to it no problem. I know the 01+ upper is slightly different and I'm not sure if it will mount in the stock location. You might need to come up with your own place to mount it.


Here are some pics. The first one shows the one temp sensor on the 99-00 lower that is not there on the 01+. You should drill/tap it in that location though. The second one shows the difference in the upper intakes. 4 mounting holes on 99-00, 3 on 01+.
 

Attachments

sixpackstang

New Member
Silentst2000 said:
Well if it wasn't worth the performance then why did Ford put them in there?
Well I'm not entirely sure on that...but look at it this way. How much more hp/tq did the 01+ mustangs have over the 99-00 that have no IMRC's? I think maybe 3/3 or something small like that. Is that worth all the headache to get them to work?
 

RED94

New Member
sixpackstang said:
I'm sorry I can't help out much with the topic of the fuel rail, I bought mine already modified. I think you have the basic idea down with the return line. My rail I bought I was able to take the fuel pressure regulator off my 97 and use it on the modified one. I think they cut and welded the return line on, but not 100% sure how/where to put it so that it works right.

Hopefully SteveC will chime in on this one. Or better yet just PM him and ask him.
I'm still hoping the info on the rail-what reg to use & how/where to graft it onto the new rail would be generously posted, but maybe they'r "trade secrets"?. While I'm on the subject I have a few other ?'s. Changing the Cam PS from the 2000 to 94-how is it positioned or does it just fit into a non adjustable slot? Until I can afford a new chip, can I expect reasonable performance if I stick with the 94 injectors? My 94 lower intake (Canadian built) only has one temp. sensor as does the 2000. Is there a difference between US & Canadian built engines? Another ? I have has to do with all the abreviations-not having a Ford workshop manual. Some I know but not diff. between MAS & MAF. Also IMRC, EVR, DPFE, CAI (cold air intake?) etc? Is there a glossary of the terms somewhere on this site?
 

sixpackstang

New Member
I would just PM SteveC and ask him about the rails, he makes them.

I'm not sure about your lower intake, I know there is some differences between the 94-95's and 96-98 but I'm not 100% sure what they all are. In the video I have the car they are working on is either a 94 or 95 (can't remember) and they had 2 temp sensors. Are you sure it's just one? There should be one with grey plastic and one with green plastic, both near the front of the intake. I think one might come out of the water pipes that go into the intake. Also you will not need to mess with anything involving the cam position sensor (unless you are swapping cams at the same time?) and your stock 94 will work fine. My car runs fine right now with no chip, stock injectors. My car is auto though, and I can definately tell that i need a chip to raise the shift points. Right now it shifts around 4,500 at full throttle instead of like 5,000+ on the 99+. I will definately get more power then.

Lets see...
MAS is Mass Air Sensor
MAF is Mass Air Flow
( I believe the diff. is MAS is the actual sensor with the wires coming out of it and MAF is the grey aluminum piece it is in? Don't quote me on that though.)

IMRC...not sure what it stands for, but they are round disks inside the round intake runners on the 01+ lower intakes and look similar to whats inside the TB. They open up at certain rpm's.

EGR is something like Exhaust Gas Recircling or Recycling. Its a system that has a pipe coming from one of the headers, goes into a round UFO looking thing attached to the lower intake. Then it has some vacuum lines that go to some sensors. It helps with emissions by recycling unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

DPFE...???

CAI...cold air intake

TB...Throttle Body

I don't know if they have a glossary for all these or what?
 

SteveC

Well-Known Member
Since I was mentioned, I'll chime in.

I started making the rails out of necessity when I did my swap. So I have some research equity involved in it. There are a couple fittings that are basically special order items. SO I've been reluctant to give out my "trade secret" since it took some money and time to figure a solution.

In the end when I make a rail, I make very, very little profit (basically enough for gas money to get the parts). I have many people email me, find out the price and never hear from them again. I'm not sure if they think I'm trying to rip them off, or just confirms a swap is more than they thought it will be.

I have made several versions. Some better than others. The first ones I was making, it was costing me nearly $300 to make... I even lost money on a few. So I'm not too privy on just giving out the information. Not being greedy.... just trying to get a little back off my "invention".
 

RED94

New Member
sixpackstang said:
I'm sorry I can't help out much with the topic of the fuel rail, I bought mine already modified. I think you have the basic idea down with the return line. My rail I bought I was able to take the fuel pressure regulator off my 97 and use it on the modified one. I think they cut and welded the return line on, but not 100% sure how/where to put it so that it works right.

Hopefully SteveC will chime in on this one. Or better yet just PM him and ask him.
I can't remember where on this post I read it, but it was stated that to make the necessary changes to the CPS all I had to do is remove the top plastic (held on with 2 nuts) electical connectors & swap them. The trouble is the 2000 module is much smaller in dia. & thus bolt pattern is narrower than the 94, so can I just swap the whole unit, (shaft & all).or are they different somewhere on down the shaft into the housing? What do I have to do? Its the last thing on my list before I can start the engine? :confused:
 

RGR...

New Member
sixpackstang said:
___________________________________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentst2000
Well if it wasn't worth the performance then why did Ford put them in there?
___________________________________________________________________


Well I'm not entirely sure on that...but look at it this way. How much more hp/tq did the 01+ mustangs have over the 99-00 that have no IMRC's? I think maybe 3/3 or something small like that. Is that worth all the headache to get them to work?
Good points, I usually tell people to just get the IMRC delete if they want
ported intakes. No one has a tried-and-true IMRC specific cam, I'm working
on that but it's still in development. Properly Ported & cammed parts make
more low end torque than any stock 3.8, IMRC's or not. The holes left over
in the runners are no big deal, I would not JBWeld them, it could fall out
and get into the motor. TIG weld it if it bothers you, but it's not a problem.

A few more things, for an SPI Swap, keep the 94-98 cam and headers
(or upgrade them to aftermarket) but the stock 94-98 headers and cam
are better than the stock 99^ headers and cam...

I also noted that the F-150 Lower Intake has bigger ports unported,
so that is a minor upgrade. A few CFM here and there is a good thing!
By my measurements it is good for around 20 CFM, but porting them to the
same specs, they will flow the same. No big deal IMO.
 

V6Sprout

Mustang Supercoupe
ONe correction I noticed in the parts list is the head bolts. You need the bead bolts for your YEAR BLOCK not the heads. YOu have to make sure the bolts thread properly into your BLOCK, some blocks have deeper threads then others.

AS for the video, I am assuming this is the video I produced years ago, I no longer make copies of it but people who have the tape are making copies and selling them for cheaper then what I used to sell them for, I have no problem with that, just make sure the copy is of decent quality. A tape of a tape of a tape etc gets poorer and poorer in quality and should not be sold for the price I sodl the tapes at. I sold the tapes for $20 plus $10 shipping when I sold them so no one should really be selling them for more the n $10-15 TOPS in my opinoin.

I hope to make another video onthe swap and other video's as well, this time on DVD so I can make copies easily.
 

Derick

Best Of The Best
V6Sprout said:
ONe correction I noticed in the parts list is the head bolts. You need the bead bolts for your YEAR BLOCK not the heads. YOu have to make sure the bolts thread properly into your BLOCK, some blocks have deeper threads then others.

AS for the video, I am assuming this is the video I produced years ago, I no longer make copies of it but people who have the tape are making copies and selling them for cheaper then what I used to sell them for, I have no problem with that, just make sure the copy is of decent quality. A tape of a tape of a tape etc gets poorer and poorer in quality and should not be sold for the price I sodl the tapes at. I sold the tapes for $20 plus $10 shipping when I sold them so no one should really be selling them for more the n $10-15 TOPS in my opinoin.

I hope to make another video onthe swap and other video's as well, this time on DVD so I can make copies easily.

i obtained one of your tapes and it was very good quality IMO. There were a few fuzzy parts but i thought it was very helpful.

the tape has since been sold to a member here.

good stuff :thumbup:
 

trevradman

Inspired by Jay-Z---->
sixpackstang said:
I would just PM SteveC and ask him about the rails, he makes them.

I'm not sure about your lower intake, I know there is some differences between the 94-95's and 96-98 but I'm not 100% sure what they all are. In the video I have the car they are working on is either a 94 or 95 (can't remember) and they had 2 temp sensors. Are you sure it's just one? There should be one with grey plastic and one with green plastic, both near the front of the intake. I think one might come out of the water pipes that go into the intake. Also you will not need to mess with anything involving the cam position sensor (unless you are swapping cams at the same time?) and your stock 94 will work fine. My car runs fine right now with no chip, stock injectors. My car is auto though, and I can definately tell that i need a chip to raise the shift points. Right now it shifts around 4,500 at full throttle instead of like 5,000+ on the 99+. I will definately get more power then.

Lets see...
MAS is Mass Air Sensor
MAF is Mass Air Flow
( I believe the diff. is MAS is the actual sensor with the wires coming out of it and MAF is the grey aluminum piece it is in? Don't quote me on that though.)

IMRC...not sure what it stands for, but they are round disks inside the round intake runners on the 01+ lower intakes and look similar to whats inside the TB. They open up at certain rpm's.

EGR is something like Exhaust Gas Recircling or Recycling. Its a system that has a pipe coming from one of the headers, goes into a round UFO looking thing attached to the lower intake. Then it has some vacuum lines that go to some sensors. It helps with emissions by recycling unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

DPFE...???

CAI...cold air intake

TB...Throttle Body

I don't know if they have a glossary for all these or what?
IMRC= Intake Manifold Runner Control
DPFE=Delta Pressure Feedback EGR
 
Top