Sixpackstang's Official Split Port Swap Post

RED94

The operation is the same, you just have to make sure you get the old one timed to Top DC in the new engine.
There are a lot of other tips I posted after I did mine-see SixpackStang's list of parts required he posted about a yr. ago (the middle of the first page) At the bottom of the page I posted the thread I had listed my tips in instead of this one. The thread read "2000 3.8 swap into 94." etc. If you can't find it under the thread I think you can find it using a search of my posts. Search Red94 posts. If not let me know as I found quite a few other tips you might find useful including how to adapt your old fuel rail to new engine.

Silentst2000

So pretty much the way the CPS communicates with the computer on the 94-98 is the same as the 99-04 however in a more efficent package? The reason why I'm making a big deal about this is that I have no idea what condition my 94 cps with 130 k miles is and would like to use the newer one. That and I'd like to avoid as much mixing of 94 parts with 01 parts as possible.

SteveC

94-95 can sensors and crank sensors are slightly different than the 96-04's. When using a 94-95 processor, you should use the 94-95 cam and crank sensors.

Silentst2000

SteveC said:
94-95 can sensors and crank sensors are slightly different than the 96-04's. When using a 94-95 processor, you should use the 94-95 cam and crank sensors.
Can it be fixed a chip flash? I'm going to need a chip burnt because I'm deleting the EGR and going to run larger injectors with the newer style maf. I'm wondering if that could be adapted to work with the newer style CMS and CPS.

RED94

I only swapped the 94 camPS into the 2000 eng. The newer crankPS plugs right into the 94 loom plug so no need to change it. I also used the newer injectors. No problems except the trans. torque conv. locks up way too soon which I think is a sensor problem in the trans.

SteveC

Silentst2000 said:
Can it be fixed a chip flash? I'm going to need a chip burnt because I'm deleting the EGR and going to run larger injectors with the newer style maf. I'm wondering if that could be adapted to work with the newer style CMS and CPS.
Not really. But apparently it works... jusr don't throw them away until you know the newer sensors work.

Silentst2000

Ok i'm pretty far into the swap now and I have a question.

Is it possible to use the temp sensor that the 01 uses that is in the head in place of the ECT sensor that the 94 uses in the front of the engine?

In otherwords, replace the plug that is for the ect on the 94 engine harness with the plug for the 01 temp sensor that screws into the head?

Silentst2000

Another question is the coil pack. I was going to use my old one but I did a test with my multimeter and according to my repair manual the coil pack needs to be replaced. I rather not spend 150 bucks on a new 94 style coil pack when my 01 coil pack is good to go. My question is how do you wire it?

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
Another question is the coil pack. I was going to use my old one but I did a test with my multimeter and according to my repair manual the coil pack needs to be replaced. I rather not spend 150 bucks on a new 94 style coil pack when my 01 coil pack is good to go. My question is how do you wire it?
im not positive on your first question but a new coil pack only costs $50 at my local parts store

as for wiring, you have to split the looming apart and pull the wire back to give you enough slack to move the coil pack on teh driver side of the upper intake

sixpackstang

Silentst2000 said:
I dont know about your first question either. I don't know what this ect sensor is, and I used '00 heads that had no sensors in them.

The coil packs should be interchangeable from year to year. Like mike said, your harness clip should plug in fine, you just need to cut the tape on the harness to pull those wires out, or splice longer wires in so it will reach.

Silentst2000

Ok i'll try to be a little more clear.

The 01 engine that I have has a temp sensor that the 01 computer used to determine what to display on your dash and when to turn the fan on.

The 94 engine has 2 sensors. The ECT is for the computer to tell the fan to turn on and the other sensor is for the temp gauge in the dash.

I was wondering if I could wire the temp sensor that screwed into the head on the 01 into the 94 harness so instead of the 94 computer using the old sensor to control the fan it would use the new sensor. The second sensor for my dash is already taken care of.

I'll probably have to break down and buy a drill bit and tap that matches the sensor and be done with it.

My other question was about the wiring differences between the 01 coil pack and the 94 coil pack.

I was asking if it was possible to change the 94 wiring harness plug out with the 01 harness plug that attached to the 01 coil pack. The plugs are completely different and the wiring colors are different too. I'd rather save the 50 or more dollars instead of buying a new 94 coil pack and just use my 01 coil pack with my 94 computer and harness. I just don't know what wires match up. The 94 has one red and 3 yellows the 01 has 4 entirely different colors and the wiring diagram in my haynes manual only matches up with my 94 engine and not the 01 engine. They list it as "96 and up" and it just isn't right.

sixpackstang

Silentst2000 said:

The 01 engine that I have has a temp sensor that the 01 computer used to determine what to display on your dash and when to turn the fan on.

The 94 engine has 2 sensors. The ECT is for the computer to tell the fan to turn on and the other sensor is for the temp gauge in the dash.

I was wondering if I could wire the temp sensor that screwed into the head on the 01 into the 94 harness so instead of the 94 computer using the old sensor to control the fan it would use the new sensor. The second sensor for my dash is already taken care of.

I'll probably have to break down and buy a drill bit and tap that matches the sensor and be done with it.

My other question was about the wiring differences between the 01 coil pack and the 94 coil pack.

I was asking if it was possible to change the 94 wiring harness plug out with the 01 harness plug that attached to the 01 coil pack. The plugs are completely different and the wiring colors are different too. I'd rather save the 50 or more dollars instead of buying a new 94 coil pack and just use my 01 coil pack with my 94 computer and harness. I just don't know what wires match up. The 94 has one red and 3 yellows the 01 has 4 entirely different colors and the wiring diagram in my haynes manual only matches up with my 94 engine and not the 01 engine. They list it as "96 and up" and it just isn't right.
OK, now I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately I don't know if I can offer much help here. I'm not sure if you can wire both temp sensors to 1, and I was led to believe the coil packs were the same (wiring and all) but I guess not.

I don't want to give you any wrong information that I'm not sure about, so I'm gonna leave this and hopefully someone else can help you out. Sorry dude!

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:

makes more sence to me too now but im still not sure, i dont want to give you false information either, my engine is a 00 so i didnt have to deal with that

Silentst2000

add another to the completed split port swap list. I ended up using brass fittings to make a T for the temp sensor and the ECT sensor and it seems to be working fine. I havn't had time yet to wire up the IMRC to my MSD switch yet.

sixpackstang

Silentst2000 said:
add another to the completed split port swap list. I ended up using brass fittings to make a T for the temp sensor and the ECT sensor and it seems to be working fine. I havn't had time yet to wire up the IMRC to my MSD switch yet.
Congrats man, hows the new engine feel to ya? Pretty noticable difference?

I don't know what else you've done, but I'll tell you what made the biggest difference on my car was upgrading from the stock 14# injectors. They just weren't big enough to handle the extra airflow. After I did that and got it tuned, it really had a lot more balls.

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
sixpackstang said:
Whats the hold up now, thought you were getting things taken care of?
i work and go to school full time so its really hard to work on it anytime other then the weekends for a few hours each day...im going to look into it tomorrow some though

Silentst2000

sixpackstang said:
Congrats man, hows the new engine feel to ya? Pretty noticable difference?

I don't know what else you've done, but I'll tell you what made the biggest difference on my car was upgrading from the stock 14# injectors. They just weren't big enough to handle the extra airflow. After I did that and got it tuned, it really had a lot more balls.
Yeah I went straight to the new injectors and got a tune from Justin at VMP (thank you).

I wasn't about to use my 130k mile crap. The car is considerably faster. It frys the tires in first gear and Second gear on my street tires and I've got posi traction.

Silentst2000

mikek2111987 said:
im not even going to be able to tell if theres a difference since my swap is taking so long :(
Yes you will and mine took about 2 months to do (or over an year since I bought the engine):p :p :p :p :p