Sixpackstang's Official Split Port Swap Post

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
I did the complete engine.
did you reuse your cam position sensor from 94?

any info you did on yours would be great, most guys just do the top end and id really like to get mine started

Silentst2000

Yeah I had to use my 94 CMP sensor. I'm going to find out what tool I need to make sure it is timed correctly or take it to Ford(maybe) I obviously got it pretty close as I wouldn't be able to drive it. :) I'm just afraid I got it 1 or 2 degree's off.

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
Yeah I had to use my 94 CMP sensor. I'm going to find out what tool I need to make sure it is timed correctly or take it to Ford(maybe) I obviously got it pretty close as I wouldn't be able to drive it. :) I'm just afraid I got it 1 or 2 degree's off.
i had pete put it in so im confident its in correctly, but he is going to bring his timing light over sometime soon and check it out anyways

Silentst2000

mikek2111987 said:
did you reuse your cam position sensor from 94?

any info you did on yours would be great, most guys just do the top end and id really like to get mine started
Well I got a "complete" 01 engine including the harness and all the sensors.

I'll try to tell you everything I did(I'll probably have to edit this post a few times)

I unwrapped the engine harness from the 94 completely I used the parts off the new engine harness and adapted it to the 94
Cut and soldered the new style injectors in.
Reused the old oil pressure sensor
You can reuse your old Crank sensor but the new one bolts up and plugs in no problem. They look identical between the two years. I used the newer one just because it is a newer one...
I reused the Cam sensor from the 94.
Threaded some brass fittings to make a T that allowed me to thread the temp sensor and ECT sensor into the port on the intake that does not exsist in later years. The pic shows where I threaded into ithttp://rpm-mustangs.com/articles/intakediffs/lowerintakesside.jpg (This method is not working right They are reading lower temps than what the water is actually at, spend the money and get your lower intake machined to accept the temp and ect sensor directly into the water flow, it is what I'm going to have to do)
I used the new TPS sensor
I used the new IAC and thus had to cut and solder the new plug onto the old harness. I deleted my EGR and PCV valve. I have a bunch of unused vac ports and an autostore should have caps to cover them up. After I have everything where needs to be accesories and all I layed the harness out so I could see where what needed lengthened then used electrical tape and wrapped it back up. I used heatshrink on the exposed metal from the soldering.

I reused my clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing and bought a new flywheel. I also reused my old engine mounts and exhaust manifolds. I used the lower hose from the 94 and used the new upper hose and it hooked right up to the radatior. It also is using the 01 water pump and pulley. No problems there. Heatercore hoses were reused. Ford wanted like 35 bucks a piece for the new ones so its up to you.

Plugged it all in and reflashed the ECU from the tuner Justin and VMP and then I was off to the races.

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
Well I got a "complete" 01 engine including the harness and all the sensors.

I'll try to tell you everything I did(I'll probably have to edit this post a few times)

I unwrapped the engine harness from the 94 completely I used the parts off the new engine harness and adapted it to the 94
Cut and soldered the new style injectors in.
Reused the old oil pressure sensor
You can reuse your old Crank sensor but the new one bolts up and plugs in no problem. They look identical between the two years. I used the newer one just because it is a newer one...
I reused the Cam sensor from the 94.
Threaded some brass fittings to make a T that allowed me to thread the temp sensor and ECT sensor into the port on the intake that does not exsist in later years. The pic shows where I threaded into ithttp://rpm-mustangs.com/articles/intakediffs/lowerintakesside.jpg (This method is not working right They are reading lower temps than what the water is actually at, spend the money and get your lower intake machined to accept the temp and ect sensor directly into the water flow, it is what I'm going to have to do)
I used the new TPS sensor
I used the new IAC and thus had to cut and solder the new plug onto the old harness. I deleted my EGR and PCV valve. I have a bunch of unused vac ports and an autostore should have caps to cover them up. After I have everything where needs to be accesories and all I layed the harness out so I could see where what needed lengthened then used electrical tape and wrapped it back up. I used heatshrink on the exposed metal from the soldering.

I reused my clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing and bought a new flywheel. I also reused my old engine mounts and exhaust manifolds. I used the lower hose from the 94 and used the new upper hose and it hooked right up to the radatior. It also is using the 01 water pump and pulley. No problems there. Heatercore hoses were reused. Ford wanted like 35 bucks a piece for the new ones so its up to you.

Plugged it all in and reflashed the ECU from the tuner Justin and VMP and then I was off to the races.
wow

thats almost the exact same **** i did
except mine is an 00...weird. i ****ed up somewhere along the line then, im just praying its simple, i really dont want to have to tear it back down to cam and heads again

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
What does yours do?
it just cranks over but doesnt start.
no spark, pulled a plug to check spark and youd think it would smell like unburned fuel, but it didnt. so i guess my injectors arent firing either

Silentst2000

And you are sure your fuel pump is working correctly and that your modified return rail is flowing? You didn't reverse the wiring on the injectors or anything?

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
And you are sure your fuel pump is working correctly and that your modified return rail is flowing? You didn't reverse the wiring on the injectors or anything?
i know the fuel pump is working because my gauge says there is fuel in the rail
theres no reason for it not to flow but i only checked the #4 spark plug so it could possibly only be one side of the engine, i have no idea
the wiring should be done correctly, my dad is pretty good with that kind of stuff and he just took all the wiring off the new harness and soldered it onto the old

Silentst2000

mikek2111987 said:
i know the fuel pump is working because my gauge says there is fuel in the rail
theres no reason for it not to flow but i only checked the #4 spark plug so it could possibly only be one side of the engine, i have no idea
the wiring should be done correctly, my dad is pretty good with that kind of stuff and he just took all the wiring off the new harness and soldered it onto the old
???

What do you mean that you took all of the wiring off?

All I did was cut the new style plug off and solder those 2 leads where the old style plug was. I didn't do it as one big bundle.

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Silentst2000 said:
???

What do you mean that you took all of the wiring off?

All I did was cut the new style plug off and solder those 2 leads where the old style plug was. I didn't do it as one big bundle.
yeah thats what i meant, cut the wires with enough slack to extend them with the new connector

Silentst2000

Which is the power lead and which are the ground leads and which ground lead corresponds to which coil (there's 3 coil packs in that brick). I'm going to try to go from a 94 coil pack to the 01 coil pack because it fits better.

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
Which is the power lead and which are the ground leads and which ground lead corresponds to which coil (there's 3 coil packs in that brick). I'm going to try to go from a 94 coil pack to the 01 coil pack because it fits better.
sn95 coil packs are all the exact same...:confused:

mikek2111987

Welcome to 3.Hate
You (IMHO) have the BEST avatar on this site:lol: :thumbup:

Mike- any luck with troubleshooting?
yeah i dont remember what the problem was last time i posted but there was a bunch, the coil pack i resued was bad, somehow the plug wires were all backwards, and then it would run but not on its own. the #6 cylinder was just pouring so much gas in it couldnt burn which is what my old engine did, so i went and get a re-man computer and now it runs alot better. pete should be oever in the next few days to retune the chip and see how it goes

before i got the new computer there was so much unburned gas it somehow get into my oil, i drained my oil and it was pretty much all gas...i had it running today for a few minutes and pulled the #6 plug which finally had carbon deposits on it so the gas was burning, but i pulled the dipstick and it lightly smelled of gas...this is really starting to piss me off