Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smaller Torque Converter for 3.8/4.2 with 4R70W.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Eatel, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Eatel

Eatel Member

So I have a 2000 V6 Mustang and the engine is completely torn down. I'm gonna rebuild it as a naturally aspirated 4.2 stroker with a 224/230 cam from SSM, P&P heads, and P&P intakes. I'm told that I'll need a smaller torque converter for this to work properly. However, every 10" converter I can find for a 4R70W has a 10.625" bolt pattern. The 4.2 flexplate that I'll have to use for this swap does not share that same bolt pattern. I've tried to find a flexplate for a 4.2 with a 10.625" bolt pattern to no avail. All I can find is stock 4.2 flexplates. So I'm wondering how can I use a smaller converter with more stall for my new build if I can't find a smaller converter with the same bolt pattern as a 4.2 flexplate or find a 4.2 flexplate with a 10.625" bolt pattern to match all the torque converters that I can find for the 4R70W. I called TCI the other day and they said they don't make a torque converter for the 4.2. They just make one for the 4.6. However, on American Muscle, they have a 3000 stall converter from TCI for sale and they claim it works for both the GT and V6 models, but it also has a 10.625" bolt pattern. Can anyone tell me where I can get a smaller torque converter that I can bolt to a 4.2 flexplate or tell me where I can get a 4.2 flexplate with a 10.625" bolt pattern?

2. Pete fender

Pete fender Pete Fender

Who told you you need a 10" converter?
    Maybe the cam is more for a manual transmission, because of the idle, but I'm sure you don't need a 3000 stall converter, maybe some lower gears.

3. Eatel

Eatel Member

Tom Yentzer at SuperSixMotorSports told me I'll need a torque converter with a higher stall to go with the camshaft. It doesn't have to be a 3000 stall, but it has to be at least 2400-2600. I know there has to be a person here with a big power V6 build that used a small converter. Unless all those turbo V6 guys making 500+ HP use 12" converters with close to stock stall speeds for their builds...which I find hard to believe.

4. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

I have a billet 9.5" triple disk lockup converter from FTI competition converters. The weight difference is substantial and the engine was much more responsive compered to stock.

It was around 1200 bucks back in 2008 or so. With inflation im sure its 1600 in today's dollar. I haven't been on their site in ages to check prices.

Also the converter I got has two bolt patterns that are drilled and threaded so it works for either flexplate.

5. Pete fender

Pete fender Pete Fender

Go to this link, you already have 2300-2700 stall speed.
    The GT and v6 have the same stall speed.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/241958-stock-stall-speed-4r70w-transmission.html

6. Pete fender

Pete fender Pete Fender

Yup, here is the ATI.
    You van see the dual bolt p
    atterns... fti-esr0082_at_xl.jpg