Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So who here is getting the 2015 stang

Discussion in 'Mustang Talk' started by 2011 Kona Blue, Sep 18, 2014.

1. 2011 Kona Blue

2011 Kona Blue Active Member

What members on here have already pre-ordered their 2015 mustang or plan on buying one this year or early next year?

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I would, had I the income for it.

3. 2011 Kona Blue

Well maybe some day

4. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Member

If I think about buying one at all, I'll think about it in a couple of years, when the 2015's are a few years old and someone but me has taken the first big depreciation hit that happens as soon as a "new" car is driven off the lot by the first buyer.

More likely, I think I'll just be content with the trail-worn '99 V6 I bought a couple of days ago, and keep on being content with it for as long as the parts support remains sufficient for me to rebuild / overhaul it as necessary to get it in well-sorted condition and keep it that way.

I don't really need more power and an IRS suspension set-up to have fun dodging cones in autocross or enjoy a weekend road trip. And I can do a lot to my current Mustang on the money I could otherwise spend on a new 2015.

5. 2011 Kona Blue

I hear ya on that. I've put about $4,500 in mods which includes appearance and performance and I'm just to fond of my pony. I love the way my 2011 looks and handles. I have no issues with it having a solid rear axle and after 4 years I still get a little chubby looking at it. I will admit though that 4 banger turbo is bad a$$ and gonna give some v8's a run for their money. I bet with some simple bolt on mods and a good tune, achieving 400 rwhp from that 4 banger will be possible.

6. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

Ford racing already put one into the 12s with minor mods. GT with a supercharger ran 10s. The n/a GT ran 11s and the ecoboost ran 12s

7. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Member

I have a feeling that the EcoBoost four-banger is probably pretty close to maxed out in terms of reliable. "streetable" power as is, but there may be 400 "daily driver" rwhp possible from it. I don't really know enough about it to make an educated guess, but in many ways, I'm past caring with respect to how much power Mustang now has across the board or how much potential it has for increases.

I've run down enough 1320' drag strips to know that drag racing "ain't my thing." I have too much to loose professionally by getting caught "street racing" so getting involved in stoplight grudge matches has little appeal to me. I've had some pretty fast and powerful cars, like an LT-1 Stingray, a AAR 'Cuda, and a 5.0 Fox-Body to name a few. But no matter how fast any I car I had might of been, someone, somewhere, had a faster one. I also know from past long-term ownership of a Porsche 924S that I don't need a lot of raw power to have fun making short work of a twisty road, enjoy a club track day, or have fun dodging cones on an autocross course. So for those reasons, and probably others I could think of, Mustang's power increase across the board in it's latest incarnation is kind of a yawner to me.

Back in the day, I had a Porsche 924S for my "daily driver" and at one point while I had that car, I also had a '66 Mustang GT AND a one-year old '92 5.0 LX in my garage, along with a '73 Bronco. Of the two Mustangs, the 5.0 LX was arguably the "better car" by any metric... But it didn't prevent me from enjoying the '66 GT while I had it. That car was still fun to own, maintain, drive, and "be seen in." It didn't really handle all that great and wasn't really all that fast compared to other cars I owned and would own later. But it was still a hell of a lot of fun.

To me, there is more to enjoying a hobby car than a numbers game of 0-60 times and skid-pad figures. There is also the ease and economy of maintaining the car to a high mechanical and cosmetic standard over a long term of ownership to consider. On top of that, there is the economics of personalizing the vehicle to be considered. Owning a Mustang to me has NEVER been about "daily driver" use. It's always been about having a "toy" to play with -a kind of Lego set for grown-ups that I can take apart, re-assemble, tweek, and so on, as much as the experience behind the wheel. But even then, the appeal to Mustang to me was that it WAS a simple machine that "punched above its technology class" in terms of the performance it could deliver or be made to deliver. Best of all, it was cheap to own, maintain, and play with. Mustang was something I could easily maintain to a high standard in the comfort of my own garage and something I could afford to maintain to that high standard.

In some ways, the newer Mustang gets, the less overall appeal it has to me as a hobby car. In point of fact, I personally think the "New Edge" Mustang is the Zenith of Mustang as hobby car because it has what I consider the "right mix" of old and new technology and remains simple enough to be enjoyable to turn wrenches on. Somehow, I don't think I'd enjoy turning wrenches on a 2015 model nearly as much, and that aspect of a hobby car is just as important to me as how quick it is in a straight line. So to is the economics of keeping ALL of a vehicle's systems functioning as well or better than they did when new.

I've got nothing against the new Mustang, per se. I'm sure it's a proud inheritor of the Mustang tradition and have no doubt that its the "best car" Mustang has ever been. But it's not what I am looking for in a hobby car, either, and not something I want or need as a daily driver.

A new Mustang V6 is surely faster than my 99, but I don't see myself running a 2015 Mustang flat-out on a road-racing course. I can't afford to replace one if I splatter it in to a wall at 120 miles per hour under a circumstance that my insurance isn't likely to cover. Conversely, I paid $1,800 for my '99 and while I'll be in to it for a lot more than that by the time I get it in track-worthy, well-sorted condition, I'm not going to be in it $30,000 worth. If I run my '99 in to a wall, I can just go buy another one with cash I won't miss in the grand scheme of things. That makes my '99 faster to me, by default, because I can afford to drive it where I can safely and legally drive it to the limit. I can't afford to do that with a new one.

And even if I could, I wouldn't. I can have a hell of a lot of fun with my current Mustang on the money it would cost to pay for a brand new one. A new one might be faster, but I guess I just don't care enough about that to care.

8. californiaguy

californiaguy Member

I have a 2015 v6 for what he said much faster than the EcoBoost despite what the court says I think they're trying to sell this four cylinders look at the YouTube video race between a v6 in the EcoBoost 4 cylinder or v6 smokes in love my car

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Member

Tele-caster, well said, my friend.