SOLVED (reinstalling upper intake and valve covers - issues)

blackenedESP

i took off my upper intake and valve covers to paint them. i had to disconnect the brake booster line as well. after putting everything back on, i noticed a few things...

1) brakes were not firm at all. i'm assuming they just have to be bled? i did it the 2 man method but it didn't really seem to do much. thinking of just going to get a speed bleeder or something.

2) when i get on the gas, the car hesitates a little. like it's struggling around higher RPM's. i did not put on new gaskets when i put everything back but i did end up going out and getting them anyway, i'll probably put them on this weekend.

is there anything else i should take a look at that would possibly be causing these problems?

blackenedESP

yeah i believe so. i probably should have used a better word. i wouldn't say it's a hesitation so much, more of a hiccup. it doesn't happen all the time either though. just tonight i got on the car and tried to make it happen and it accelerated smoothly up to 5,000 rpm's so i dunno.

StangMod

Steven @ VAP Auto
How does it run at idle? Usually a vacuum leak will cause a very poor idle, and not much change under throttle.

blackenedESP

it is fine at idle for the most part. on occasion when i come to a complete stop, it'll drop down a bit for a second. usually it idles around 700-800 rpm's. it'll dip down to 400-500 rpm's real quick them go right back to the normal 7-800. but i actually remember it doing that for a while, before doing the intake and covers.

EDIT: actually i now remember something similar to this happening a little while back. i took it to Ford and it ended up being a cracked coil for the #2 cylinder. i just think it'd be weird timing for that to start after i just did this stuff, you know? anyway i can check for that?

BlueSHO

Unless you took the master cylinder off or something, you don't need to bleed the brakes. The brake booster hose is just a vaccuum source, it is not connected directly to the hydraulic portion of the brake system. So if you didn't open any of the fluid lines/fittings, there is no way air could be in the brake lines, the system is still sealed.

As for why your brakes are mushy, and the other issues you are having, I would look all the vaccum lines and connections over very carefully, making sure you have them all connected right, nohting is kinked, etc. Also check all electrical connectors, and the plug wires.

JTsStang

Boosted V6
I would recomend getting a boost/vac gague since you already plan to boost it. It makes it easy to rule out vac leaks when modding your car and doing stuff like you did. It is so convienent to have one hooked up.

blackenedESP

BlueSHO: no i didn't take the master cylinder off, just disconnected the booster line. either this week or definitely this weekend, i'm going to take the intake and valve covers back off to put on the new gaskets. i'll make sure i connect everything back properly and securely, see what happens.

JTsStang: yeah you're right, i might as well do that. when i get that hooked up without the Procharger on, what exactly am i looking for with the gauge to show there is a vacuum leak somewhere? should it be at a certain value? etc...

blackenedESP

finally got a chance to replace the gaskets. i dunno if it was the gaskets or if i just didn't have something connected correctly (pretty sure i did), but everything works fine now. i just replaced the gasket for the intake and the valve covers, used some silicone in addition, and it works perfectly now. just wanted to say thanks for the help.

Justin251

hotpocketssssss
If the valve cover gaskets were messed up in any way then you could lose crankcase ventilation pressure. So that could have been it seeing as how the master cylinder plugs into the valve cover.