SOLVED (wideband o2 sensor placement)

blackenedESP

i got my LC-1 wideband today and the instructions seem fairly straightforward but i had a question about where to put the o2 sensor. i have a catted h-pipe that has 2 free rear o2 bungs but i think they're after the cats. i shouldn't install it there, it'd give me inaccurate readings, right? if that's the case, would the crossover pipe that's in my H be ok to install a bung? then it'd be reading from the driver and passenger's side equally, no?

PNG

Just speaking theoretically here, but the crossover in the H shouldn't actually show much flow, just pressure pulses traveling back and forth. I'd be worried that the exhaust gas in that section of pipe would be relatively static, compared to the left and right legs.

yea dont install it after the cats, and yes i think your right, if you can place it right in the middle of the crossover pipe it should be reading both sides which is what your looking for.

DEstang

Why So Serious?
before the cat, usually they are on the bend where the pipe has a ~45* angle to straighten out with the underbody of the car

blackenedESP

yeah that was my initial thought White00Stanger, just makes sense to me. but i can see what PNG is saying too about the crossover pipe possibly being a dead zone, not flowing as much as the side legs would. well, the side legs should be the same or very close to it anyway, no? if not, i probably have a bigger problem to worry about.

yep i agree with you, now that I think about it, id say that PNG might be right. But im still stuck on that it would probably work.Im kind of in the same situation but a little worse..I have one wideband but Ive got two turbos and no mid pipe.not sure what to do except get another wideband and run two.

PNG

If it was an X you could stick it in there and be confident it was seeing both exhaust streams, but I think the crossover in an H is going to be stagnant. Maybe the thing to do is get a bung welded into each side and switch it back and forth a bit to see if one runs consistently leaner than the other.

Ltngdrvr

I think if you will look at the instructions again that it says to mount the sensor close to the outlet of the exhaust manifold/header.

Mine is very close to the front O2 sensor bung on the left side down pipe.

Also, you need to mount the bung in the pipe so it is not on or near the bottom side of the pipe so that any moisture or condensation doesn't accumulate on it.

blackenedESP

yeah definitely with the x-pipe but i love how my car sounds now and it's my understanding the x-pipe is a little more raspy than the h-pipe. i'm just gonna install it on the driver's side leg, near the header joint. yeah Ltngdrvr, i read about the moisture issue so i'll be sure to have it going in the upper half of the pipe, angled down towards the ground. thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.

PNG

Here's where mine is on the driver's side:

chaoticdismay

the rippin and the tearin
I think if you will look at the instructions again that it says to mount the sensor close to the outlet of the exhaust manifold/header.

Mine is very close to the front O2 sensor bung on the left side down pipe.

Also, you need to mount the bung in the pipe so it is not on or near the bottom side of the pipe so that any moisture or condensation doesn't accumulate on it.
this. mine is opposite of the original bung on the dr side header collector.