Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Split Port Swap 96 Mustang

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by douglass, Apr 12, 2015.

1. douglass

douglass Active Member

Alright, so after two trips to the pick yard, I got almost everything I need.

Upper & Lower Intake Manifolds -1999
    Really nice Cylinder Heads - 2000
    Throttle body - 2000
    Coolant pipe - 1999
    Throttle Cable - 1999
    Very nice fuel rail - 1999

Picked up a brand new oem Timing cover from ebay
    I have a spare set of 96-98 stock 3.8 headers
    I have a spare 1996 wire harness.

Things still to buy are the 96-98 Fuel rail, Comp Cam 218/226, valve springs, push rods, gasket kit with head bolds, and hardened valve stem keepers.

I will probably use the 03-04 39lb Ford Racing injectors (left over from my M90 swap), and I'm thinking I may need to use the Mafia MAF extender with my 96 MAF for now.

I was provided with a tune file for a 99-00 Mustang 3.8 computer, so I can compare the differences from how my stock tune is and the 99-00.

I'll update with some pictures once I get the parts cleaned up. The build will take me a little bit to get going, as I have to work around a 2 1/2 year old and a new born.

Douglass

2. douglass

douglass Active Member

Any tips/short cuts to cleaning the intake runners on the upper and lower intake manifolds? There are a couple that are that are heavily caked with sludge oil.

3. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Dunk it in a solvent. Diesel fuel can work, although I'd normally use my friends solvent tank. Carb cleaner is another option.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Fyi you could also nab a windstar upper.

5. douglass

douglass Active Member

So here is where I am at. I am going to start with a stock swap just as a base line. I was also able to get the stock tune file for a 99-00 3.8 mustang, and after going though it there are many values that have been changed from the 96. It will probably take a few hours to change all the values correctly.

I am going to the pick yard this weekend to pick up another fuel rail as a practice piece. My current plans are to cut off the block on the LF where the fuel pressure sensor is. I am considering pipe soldering a fitting, using a compression fitting, flaring the line, or welding a fitting. I am going to try and find a spare thunderbird sc rail, and use the regulator portion. I found a ford fitting that I can use with the fuel tubing to connect to the return line. My goal is make it look as factory as possible. I will update as I have made progress, and be sure to put a lot of detail in the fuel rail, as this seems to be the biggest obstacle in the swap. If this comes out the way I'm thinking it will then it should look real clean, and more importantly be safe.

As far as the cam goes, it looks like to do it the right way, I'm looking at close to 600.00, and unless I can find the parts substantially cheaper, then I will just use my existing cam with the 1.8 R.R.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

Just asking is you knew that the 94 and 95 v6 exhaust manifolds are definite ungrades.....2.25 on the outlet of the collector....

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

Ran into a problem. I got the upper and lower intake manifolds cleaned up real good last weekend. I go one of the heads cleaned up today, and found a crack between the valve seats, and one in a coolant port. I am heading back to the pick yard for a third attempt to get a set of heads. Hopefully this will be the last time.

8. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

Man that stinks, especially in these aluminum heads too....good luck

9. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

I MEANT UPgrades lol

10. metalman302

metalman302 Active Member

What's your plan for the fuel rail since the 99 rail won't work as is? The proper E150 rail that is a direct match to 94-98 stang soft lines is the best option, but hard to find.

Kenne Bell makes an adapter to covert the FRPS mount to a FPR. It comes with a soft line too. It's meant for running the later returnless rails (needed to clear the blower) on a 96-98 GT with return. You could try calling them and ask if they'd sell you the adapter.

11. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

I have an F150 fuel rail from an2004

12. douglass

douglass Active Member

Could you take a picture of it?

I found another set of heads last weekend. These were the worst physically (dirt and grime), but the best internally. I cleaned all the carbon out, and no cracks found. I have one head torn torn down. Once I get the other head torn down and cleaned i'll post some pictures.

I found a picture last night of what Is supposedly a 2001 f-150/e-150 rail that looks perfect. Once I know for sure I'll update.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  13. metalman302

metalman302 Active Member

Those are the ones I was thinking of. I don't know if I ever found a true confirmation of the year. I couldnt find one at the time so I used a 01 windstar rail with the angled FPR. I would clear a windstar upper ok but I needed to buy the $100 VAP spacer for the stock upper to clear. And I still had to make new soft fuel lines, which blew off on me one day. Luckily they blew off in a parking lot though. I would definitely locate the E150 rail you just pictured so you can just use the stock soft lines and not have to dick with redoing them or buying the expensive spacer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

I can text it to ya....

Attached Files:

15. douglass

douglass Active Member

That's it! So I think the 2001-2004 F150/e150 van fuel rail will make it a plug and play swap. I have a list of around 20 salvage yards that supposedly have them in stock that I am going to call on tomorrow. Once I bthenhe rail then I just need another engine harness, and I'm ready to build and swap.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  16. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

This one is for sale with injectors!.........

17. douglass

douglass Active Member

What are you asking for it? If it makes a difference I would not need the injectors.

18. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

just make an offer......shipping may be the same as if u bought it from a nearby salvage yard

19. douglass

douglass Active Member

I'll let you know on the rail if I need it. I found a really nice chrome rail that should be in next week. I might want a spare one as a test piece.

20. xoblivionx69

xoblivionx69 Member

What all is needed for just this swap? I noticed you made a list at the beginning, but i know you added some extra parts.
    i know its fuel rail, TB and upper and lower manifolds.
    Are the coolant pipe and the heads needed for this swap? Or is that one of the extras.
    I really wanna do this swap. It looks great under the hood, and its got great gains for our year sixxers!