Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Split Port Swap 96 Mustang

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by douglass, Apr 12, 2015.

1. douglass

douglass Active Member

I have not had any time to mess this this so far. I am getting ready for a HPDE event in a couple weeks. Once this has passed I should have a little more time to build the engine.

I have pickup up another engine harness, and a 2001 F-150 fuel rail. This will require a little modification but looks to be an excellent choice. I will post up some pictures soon of how it fits, but I am feeling very comfortable, with this set up.

As far as parts needed. Right now I would say From the Heads up. I'll know more once I start the build.

2. dapack69

dapack69 Need Money ASAP

Long live single port!

3. douglass

douglass Active Member

Here's some pics of the fuel rail. everything clears, just need to make a bracket for the rail mount. This is a fuel rail from a 2001 4.2 ford f-150.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kjohnson1

kjohnson1 Member

Let me know if you need/want any additional parts. Nothing leaves here dirty. No one wants used and I'll get you as close to new while retaining the savings.

TXT 214-663-8601
    -kevin

JeDanRo likes this.
  5. JeDanRo

JeDanRo Active Member

I'm commenting to follow and get educated. Just found an dual port intake and heads for $25, and am trying to research everything I'll need to change/swap/upgrade.

6. douglass

douglass Active Member

I am getting ready to start the build soon. I have all the parts needed. I just need more time. I'll take a bunch of pictures, and good details. I'm hoping to start next month.

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

I was able to start working on the engine today. I got the new stem seals installed, and the heads assembled. I also was able to get the lower intake and 95 timing cover off. I have some pictures of the intake runners. I installed an oil catch can, and this is after a years worth of driving with the M90 I should have the 99 timing cover and water pump installed tomorrow. There is a few pictures of the spark plug sleeve repair, and of the valve seats lapped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  8. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

I have a couple of questions for you. Keep in mind that I'm on the low portion of the learning curve, so they may not be the most brilliant ones.

It looks like your 2001 F150 fuel rail has a return line to the fuel tank. That surprised me as I thought all the 3.8 engines went to a "no return" system in like 1999. What year is your Mustang? It has a return line, I'm guessing, and that makes the F150 setup a good fit?

Your cylinder heads (latest photos) sure look good. The valve seats look really nice. Is that all from lapping you did by hand or with a drill attached to the valve? They look so good that it looks like they were done on a machine (valves) or with a stone (seats).

It sounds like you are going to change the programming on the ECU. What hardware and software are you using to do that? I have a sort of non-standard application (I'll try to post a photo here) and I will have to learn how to how to modify the programming too as I plan to modify the engine (targeting 250 or so HP). I do have the stock ECU and all the wiring harnesses, so I can use the same tools as anyone with a regular Mustang.

I'm keenly interested in your conversion to dual port and have started to gather the parts (and another complete engine) to do the job. Mine is a real hodge-podge though. It's a '97 engine that was installed in a '94 and then all the '94 intake and exhaust stuff put back on the '97 engine. I have a 2000 (maybe 2001?) dual port engine that is basically complete, but want to do the 96-98 Windstar intake swap too. I'm looking for the Windstar parts now. Anyway, I'm following your posting with a lot of interest. I hope you get that needed work time soon [SMILE].

Cheers,

DSC01273.JPG

DSC01257.JPG

9. douglass

douglass Active Member

Yes this is from a 2001-2003 F-150 4.2. It will require adapters to be made for two mounting locations. I have a pretty good idea of how Ill make it, and will post plenty of pictures, This is the biggest obstacle in my opinion with the swap.

I am swapping into a 1996, and yes it has the return line from the factory. You are correct 99+ all have returnless systems

This was done by hand. It was a little tedious, as I had to use two different grit compounds.

I have the SCT X4, and the pro racer tuning software. I was also able to get the computer code for the 99 v6 mustang with manual. This will let me see what other changes are different from the 96 to the 99.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  10. douglass

douglass Active Member

What are you building?

11. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

It's essentially a one-off, tube-framed sports car, Douglas, but based closely on the Lotus Super 7/Caterham 7 architecture. I'm using all Mustang running gear including the front spindles, 7.5" live rear axle, brakes, 3.8L V6 and T5. It's definitely keeping me busy!

Thanks for the further info on your project, Douglas. Once I get my chassis finished and get the engine running again, I want to start the modifications to the V6. In the mean time, I'm trying to educate myself and learn from folks like you who are doing interesting modifications.

Regards,

Lonnie

12. douglass

douglass Active Member

Finally made time to work on the engine. I got the new timing cover, water pump, balancer, oil pan, heads, and rockers installed this weekend. I'll need to get the lower intake manifold drilled and tapped for the coolant temps sensor. Once that's done, I'll be able to start the fuel rail mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Armyofechoes likes this.
  13. douglass

douglass Active Member

I was able to be a little productive this weekend. The lower intake manifold was installed last night, and was able to mock up the fuel rail. This is a spare rail that I got for this. I hope the final product will look a little bit cleaner. When I make the mods the the final rail I will be more descriptive. This will at least show what I am going to do. I am real happy with the result. The first two pictures show the rail, and how far off the mounting tabs are. The last two show the tab I welded on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Spdricer likes this.
  14. douglass

douglass Active Member

Fuel rail is finished. I'm happy with the results. It's not the prettiest weld, but for a harbor freight flex core welder it does the job. There is also a bead welded on the back of the mounting tab too. I cut the tabs off of a 99 3.8 split port rail, then cut the bent edges off. I did have to use a dremel to open the hole just a little bit to get the bolt hole to line up with the manifold holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  15. finewayne

finewayne New Member

single port for sure!:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

16. douglass

douglass Active Member

I was able to install the EV6 fuel injector connectors. I bought some nice ones with a lock. I soldered rather than use adapters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. douglass

douglass Active Member

The engine is pretty much finished. I need to lengthen the Purge Valve, and the DPFE sensor wires, torque the upper intake manifold, and instal the EGR (have to wait until I prime the engine). I took a lot of pictures showing how close everything is when the upper intake is installed. Also have a couple of pictures of the egr tube installed using the 96 mustang headers. I decided to use the 96 mustang exhaust gaskets. I am using a 96 Mustang engine wire harness (same year as my car).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. douglass

douglass Active Member

The next update will be when I install it into the car.

19. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

So much win in this thread! Pictures are great thanks all of it good look ill be watching you

20. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

Have you been able to make any progress on your build? It's a great thread, and I'm keenly interested in the outcome for my own, personal reasons.

Regards,

Lonnie