Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Split Port Swap 96 Mustang

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by douglass, Apr 12, 2015.

1. douglass

douglass Active Member

your mounts look different than mine. The quality on the Anchor mounts look fine on mine, they just didn't fit in the k-member perches. I could have tried to pry them into the slots, but was concerned that even if I was able to get them in, that it would put pressure on areas that could cause a problem later. The mounts sat about an inch higher from where the factory mounts sat when new. I think there was to much rubber material or the mounts stuck out to far forward. I might try the poly mount next time.

2. douglass

douglass Active Member

Got a little more done. Installed the heater hoses, starter, front accessory brackets, and power steering pump. For the heater hose I used gates 90 degree molded hose. Take your time cutting to length. I am also reusing the stock 96 accessory brackets, power st. pump, and alternator. I am planning on getting the EGR tube welded tomorrow, and I will take pictures with the stock tube vs the modified tube installed. If things work out I should be done, or mostly done by the end of the weekend.

Gates heater hose #
    28467 - 5/8 inch - 90 degree
    28475 - 3/4 inch - 90 degree

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. douglass

douglass Active Member

Last night I was able to get the radiator, fan, egr tube, and fuel lines installed. Just need to get the tranny bolted up, drive shaft exhaust, and upper intake installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

Looking very nice, Douglas. I had to take a lot of photos of my engine compartment, and label all the wires to have any hope of putting all back together correctly again. It looks like you know what you're doing.

Cheers,

5. douglass

douglass Active Member

Alright, got the transmission & cross member bolted up, intake manifold, spark plugwires/coil, coolant hoses, water pump pulley & belt installed. Just need to install the throttle cable, vacuum lines, drive shaft, exhaust, shifter, and air intake. I will try and finish by next weekend.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Man, love that clean engine bay. Great photos.

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

Thank you

Alright, so here's how it went down. I get the car prepped to start on Thursday. Got the cold air intake, oil, and coolant installed. I try to start the car last night, and all I get is crank no start nothing... This morning I checked the injector connectors, and coil pack connecters to verify I had voltage with the key on which I had. I started checking all the connectors, and it turned out the crank sensor connector was only partially on. I had to slide it forward about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch, and got a click. I crank it up, and it fires right up, but has a major missfire. I must have had one of those genius moments when wiring the spark plug wires, and wired the # 5, and #6 backwards. NICE!!!!:facepalm: Easy fix though. Switched the wires, and verified that the other wires were correct, and tried again. Engine fires right up, no missfire, but I have a nice size exhaust leak at the left side header where the collector and xpipe bolt together. I'm going to install a different xpipe tonight or tomorrow, and try agian.

Besides the exhaust leak, the engine runs very good. Once I get the exhaust leak taken care of, I'll get a video up of the engine running. Here are the final pictures of the build. I am starting with the tune that has the 99-00 pcm code values to start. So far so good.

Also, not sure if I mentioned this but the F-150 fuel line connections do have the same ID as the connections on the mustang rail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  8. douglass

douglass Active Member

all good now... I installed the xpipe, and changed the tune a little. No more missfire, and no more exhaust leak. Car is running good, but I am going to tweek the Dashpot a little.

9. douglass

douglass Active Member

10. douglass

douglass Active Member

The audio quality is not great, but the car is running real good. After I get the tune dialed in, I'll use an actual video camera to record the car running. This was just something quick to get the video up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

Great job, Douglas. Your installation looks 100% stock (meant as a compliment, 'cause I know it isn't) and super clean. Your car may be a little too quiet though - LOL.

Cheers,

12. douglass

douglass Active Member

Thank you Lonnie, My goal is to make the engines look like they came in the car from the factory. The engine gets much louder. I have the Dynomax VT mufflers installed. They are a little quiet at idle, but they get petty frickin loud when I get on it. I have another set of chamber mufflers I use when I track it. Here's a picture of the supercoupe swap I did a few years ago.

Once I get the tune dialed in, I will share how I set it up.

[​IMG]