Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Squeaky Brakes...

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Spario, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Spario

Spario New Member

Hey Guys,

Recently I replaced the rotors, calipurs and pads (front & rear) on my 1999 stang. However, I still hear a squeaking noise coming from the front brakes. The left front rim is also getting pretty black from I'm guessing the new pads wearing down.

A buddy of mine thought I might have a problem with the anti-lock brake pump. Any suggestions as to what I should look for this weekend?

Thanks.

2. NavyStanger

NavyStanger I blow stuff up

This could be posted in the Chassis/Handling section...

however,

we need more info. Do they squeak constantly, like whenever the wheels are moving? Or only when you brake?

If you got semi-metallic pads, they make more noise than ceramic. They also make a ton of dust.

Did you do the brakes yourself, or did you have them done somewhere?

3. 2002 232 STANG

2002 232 STANG New Member

Did you lube the guide pins?

4. driftstang

driftstang Sittin' Sidewayz

is the left front rim getting more brake dust than the right front?

5. Spario

Spario New Member

Yup, the left front has alot more dust than the passenger side. As for the noise itself, it's really only apparent at very low speeds, and not always when I'm braking...

6. NavyStanger

NavyStanger I blow stuff up

Your caliper is likely dragging. It's not disengaging like it should.

I'd say at the very least pull the caliper apart and rebuild it, the guide pins are probably seized up. The piston could also have been damaged while you were replacing the pads.

Personally, I would just go to Autozone or wherever and pick up a rebuilt caliper, they're somewhere around $70 with the core charge.

I'd also take a close look at the pads, but as long as their not cracked or visibly damaged, you shouldn't have to replace those. Same thing with the rotor. If there's film built up on the rotor, just lightly sand it off and spray it down with brake parts cleaner.

If you replace/rebuild the caliper, you'll have to bleed your brake lines out as well.