Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stroking the 4.0

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by hitmankb, Sep 24, 2004.

1. hitmankb

hitmankb King

Can it be stroked or is it maxed out? is it physically larger than the current 3.8? How hard would it be to stuff one of these in a new edge mustang?

2. pete

pete I like Ford V6s...I own 4

Its done at 4.0L.

The motor is taller than our engine but narrower.

IMO there is no point to putting one in a 94-04. You could make the same power with parts on the 3.8.

3. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

i've never seen anyone doing such to a 4.0l, either the ohv OR the new ohc.

the 3.8ls have a much bigger market, and their potential is greater..at least the old ohv's

the newer sohc's are awesome, but there's absolutely no market for them...YET!

matt

4. Desdenova10

Desdenova10 Well-Known Member

Although i will swap my engine with a 5.4L v8 later on, but if someone wanted to i think it would make sense to do it, because they would have a new engine, faster one. I just hope some parts would fit. I already saw somewhere about after market parts for 05 v6. I mean starting from 210hp/235TQ, is better then starting from 150HP/215TQ or 190/225. But again we'll see what happens, give it a year, then once those aftermarkets come, ohhh yeah baby (hopefullY)

5. cobra232

cobra232 New Member

yep the old Cologne block is maxed out at 4.0 liters and i would be cautious about heavily modding that block. i think it is a step backwards for ford. the 4.2 would have made a far better choice.

not saying the 4.0 is a bad engine. it is a great engine in stock form but adding a blower or nitrous may be disasterous because it is already to the max for displacement

6. hitmankb

hitmankb King

Do you think ford just wants to phase out OHV engines? We may never see another split port motor in a mustang again.

7. cobra232

cobra232 New Member

eventually yes. they are done in the mustang and when the new 3.5L comes out the 4.2 will be gone from the winstar and ford will replace the 4.2 with something else in the F-150 not long after

8. hitmankb

hitmankb King

Do you think this is the last weve see of split port technology in a mustang?

9. cobra232

cobra232 New Member

yes. there is no reason to have a splitport design on a current engine design. the splitport design was used to overcome flow problems with the 1981 design which was based on the 1961 buick design. new engines adress flow problems and OHC designs with their reduced friction gain a few hp over OHV designs. not much need for split port "fix" on today's engines except for DOHC designs. the split port and IMRC design may be used to actually reduce flow for better streetability on a new design, instead of adding power to an old design. still the splitport design for heads is probably over. it may like i said still be incorperated as an intake (not heads) design on "newer" designs

10. pete

You assume way too much. IMRCs and split port technology also has some nice emission benefits.

What difference does DOHC make for split port design? None. The number of valves is irrelevant.

11. hitmankb

hitmankb King

The way I thought of split port design was that: Say If honda used a special split port head on they s2000, it would make more peak power and have a better tq curve becase now each cylinder would a long runner and short runner to go along with vtec. Now you have the valve train and intake manifolds working better together. I dont know, if my thinking was incorrect.

I was wondering if anyone thought ford would eventually go to some type of VVT or use Split Port heads on a future version of the 4.0?

12. cobra232

cobra232 New Member

the # of valves is relavant because of increased airflow. a split runner intake with short high rpm runners and long low end runners will benefit a DOHC better than a SOHC version of the same engine. the increased airflow of the DOHC makes for poor bottom end on a conventional setup. you already know that and i think we agree i just didn't get my point across correctly

yes the splitport and IMRC has really nice emissions benefits. the technology is good but variable valve timing is becoming better and will probably replace IMRC and splitport designs

13. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

I think ford wants to phase out 90 degree V6s. It's about damn time, too. :thumbup:

14. pete

Not necessarily. You are generalizing too much. IMRCs will benefit any engine because cammming for HP is always a compromise for low end. IMRCs help off set the bottom end losses. It has more to do with overall airflow than number of valves.