Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sub forums?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions & Announcements' started by MorganMcCann, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MorganMcCann

MorganMcCann Active Member

The new software looks great, but the forums feel unorganized. Like the "Mustang Tech" used to be split up into bolt ons, power train, power adders, etc... It feels as if, at least in my opinion that it was easier to read about a certain issue, because you could search the forum for that issue. For instance, if I were to have an exhaust rattle, but I didn't know what it was. I could just read the posts in the exhaust category, until I figured it out.

I don't know if this is just rambling for no reason, or if anyone else feels this way. Or maybe I simply missed something somewhere, and these actually still exist.
    Input is welcome.

Also, the new software looks great. :thumbup:

2. Brent

Brent Owner Staff Member

One of the things that has always suffered with the previous software was our ability to search. Either it was performance degrading to the board or it returned pretty awful results.

The GREAT thing about our new software is that it is powered by http://www.elasticsearch.org/ software on its own server. This means we have an entire server instance dedicated to nothing but search and the software behind it is designed from the ground up with algorithms that make searching for things excellent in what they return.

So for your example, simply typing in "exhaust rattle" into our search will return hundreds of results on just that and it will do it instantly with no performance hit to the forum at all.

When I merged everything I was going for simplicity. As we continue to get back on track and have more people posting more and more, we can revisit the organization of certain forums and see what we can do to make things a bit more easy to find things.

One option I am considering is making use of Prefixes for threads. So if you have an exhaust question you can simply choose the Exhaust prefix when creating your thread. Then over time, you can search things simply by the prefix and return only threads about those topics.

3. MorganMcCann

I like that idea.
    A different forum I am a part of The Ranger Station, has a separate forum topic for each system of the vehicle (powertrain, engines, etc)
    However, they're using what seems to be a slightly out dated software.
    See the screenshot for what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

4. Brent

Brent Owner Staff Member

Yea they are using vBulletin 3.8 which was released in the mid 2000's. The original guys that were behind that software no longer work at vBulletin and have created the software we are using here today.

5. MorganMcCann

So how exactly would the prefix work? Like another column with a little picture of a muffler, trans or engine next to it?

6. Brent

Brent Owner Staff Member

7. MorganMcCann

That is really nifty. Is there a chance you could make a bar at the top with the few different prefixes? So it would be easy to find them.

8. Brent

Brent Owner Staff Member

Yes.

9. MorganMcCann

You're a great man. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

10. Brent

Brent Owner Staff Member

It will be a minute before I implement that stuff. I want to make sure I have everything correct. However, it is something that will probably happen at some point.

11. MorganMcCann

That's great. I'm sure some of the older members will also like it.